PDA

View Full Version : Help: Stringing No Name Racquets?

pchoi04
08-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Well... This is my first post in awhile now so forgive me. Unfortunately because of school and work I havent been able to play much but I would like to make some extra money on the side to help pay for tuition. Since my stringer is collecting dust or is being used as an expensive coat hanger I figured I should put my skills to good use.

But the only thing I'm concerned with is how do I string a "no name racquet" if that even makes sense. Like the ones you'd find at Big 5 or something. I've got a good amount of experience stringing mainstream racquets but it doesnt necessarily take a brain surgeon to figure it out because all the string patterns are listed on the web. Now maybe its easier than it sounds (I havent tried). But what would be your strategy to stringing an unknown off brand, off the shelf type of a racquet. Or even one step farther, all of the above and no string on the racquet.

Any advice from you experts would be great.

jonolau
08-25-2007, 01:30 AM
I've never really referred to string patterns and use intuition to string racquets.

The mains are quite standard and just looking at the grommet spacing, you will figure out which ones to skip. If it was string before, there will be obvious tell-tale signs of the string direction. Even if there aren't just look at the spacing between the strings, this will be a good guide.

Tie-offs are quite standard, just look out for the shared grommets.

Loco4Tennis
08-25-2007, 03:55 AM
i agree, i have a couple of these no name brand racquets at home, and i have resorted to using intuition and also similar head size patterns online,
i have a "prince oversize racquet (aluminum composite)", the closest to it is a prince 110 OS, i've used its pattern and it works good for me, how ever, now i am thinking about playing with the patern and maybe adding a couple of more mains,
to get back to your question, intuition is going to be your best bet, you'll know when the mains are getting too close to each other.
my main concern on no name brand racquets would be the tension i can put on them, because they are no name brands, i would keep to the standard or 50-60 lbs.

jonolau
08-25-2007, 04:07 AM
i agree, i have a couple of these no name brand racquets at home, and i have resorted to using intuition and also similar head size patterns online,
i have a "prince oversize racquet (aluminum composite)", the closest to it is a prince 110 OS, i've used its pattern and it works good for me, how ever, now i am thinking about playing with the patern and maybe adding a couple of more mains,
to get back to your question, intuition is going to be your best bet, you'll know when the mains are getting too close to each other.
my main concern on no name brand racquets would be the tension i can put on them, because they are no name brands, i would keep to the standard or 50-60 lbs.

Yup! I forgot about the tension bit. I agree with Loco4Tennis on the tension range too. Stay within 50-60 and you won't go wrong.