PDA

View Full Version : How long do balls last?

slicefox
08-25-2007, 11:56 AM
I use Penn Titanium tennis balls and I want to know how many hits/games/days will they last until they go flat and start loosing performance. Thanks a ton.

A.T.S.
08-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Usually hitting will just wear off the felt and not do that much to the pressure unless of course you and you hitting partner/opponent can hit har consistently. Maybe a week or 2 with regular play is about right. BTW if it's just pressure you are worried about, then just get normal balls not Titanium strength because it doesn't help with pressure it's just the extra strength felt. you could save more buy getting those re-pressurizers for tennis balls. Almost like new.

tbini87
08-25-2007, 02:52 PM
if you use the same can everyday then you might get a week (5 to 7 days of hitting). or you could get a basket of balls and throw in a bunch of balls and just use the basket, and rotate in newer balls to replace the old flat balls. every time i play a match i put the balls into my basket when i am done, and throw out any flat balls that are still in.

Bottle Rocket
08-25-2007, 05:28 PM
I think it depends on how serious you are, how good of a player you are (to notice the small differences), and what kind of situations you're hitting in.

The truth is that performance suffers very quickly. I think there is a very noticable drop-off after an hour or so, definitely after two hours.

I think just about any serious set should be played with new balls. For a 3-set match, one can should be ok. You would never want to play a match the next day with the same can. Besides the issues of performance, flat or dead balls can be pretty harmful to an elbow, wrist, or shoulder.

Besides the issue of felt wearing off, the bigger issue is pressure loss. The amount of time the can of balls is open is the main factor here. After a couple days laying around, the balls lose a signifncant amount of pressure. Those small canisters that keep pressure on the balls can really help with that.

The simple answer to your question though is that it is all up to you... Everyone has their own views on the subject.

slicefox
08-25-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't really know how to test the pressure, that's why I was asking. Does anyone know what how many PSI of pressure is inside a typical new tennis ball?

volusiano
08-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Pressure inside an unopened can of ball is 14 psi, I think. It's probably 14 psi more than atmospheric pressure, because atmospheric pressure is already 14.7 psi. If you use the Tennis Ball Saver canister, it's supposed to restore this 14 psi pressure around your balls inside the can.

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to measure/test the pressure inside your balls. Most people just kinda squeeze them to feel how hard/flat they are. You can also use the bounce test to see how bouncy they are, which is a rough indicator of how fresh the balls are. I read somewhere that a rough rule of thumb is to let a ball drop from your eye level and if it bounces back to your belly button, then it's adequate.

I just put my balls inside the Tennis Ball Saver after I play to help preserve the pressure, and toss them to my serve basket when the felt is worn out. Depending on how hard you hit the balls, 3 balls will probably last you a few sessions of 1-2 hour play each before the felt is worn out.

SoBad
08-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Bottle Rocket posted a good post on tennis balls, I just want to add that it also depends on the brand. Penn balls are the worst, they lose their quality quickly and sometimes can actually break (lose pressure completely) within an hour, whereas Dunlop balls retain their playability consistently for quite some time.

blitzmage_89
08-26-2007, 02:09 AM
funny how Penn balls boast a lot that they use the most advance manufacturing into their balls and Made in the USA hahahaha.

A Dunlop ball will last around 10 hours of constant hitting but its life will last around a few weeks until it wont bounce anymore.

rum02
08-26-2007, 03:50 AM
at a wall i usually pop tennis balls in the first session (1-1.5 hrs) or early into the second session. they will last a significant amount longer with a hitting partner though, which i don't have :(

J011yroger
08-26-2007, 05:12 AM
I open a can an hour.

So for a 2 hour session I open 2 cans.

Then they go into the teaching basket, and I pluck out the dead ones when I practice serves.

J

slicefox
08-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I had some Dunlop balls and I hated them. They seemed heavier when I hit them and they didn't bounce hard... didn't even make that cool popping sound when hit. I'll try some Wilson balls next time to see how that goes.

J011yroger
08-26-2007, 04:19 PM
I had some Dunlop balls and I hated them. They seemed heavier when I hit them and they didn't bounce hard... didn't even make that cool popping sound when hit. I'll try some Wilson balls next time to see how that goes.

Wilson US Opens are not too bad, the regular wilsons suck hard.

Played a match with them this morning and at 4-1 in the first set they were bald.

J

Alpine
08-27-2007, 12:18 AM
it's supposed to restore this 14 psi pressure around your balls inside the can.

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to measure/test the pressure inside your balls. Most people just kinda squeeze them to feel how hard/flat they are. You can also use the bounce test to see how bouncy they are, which is a rough indicator of how fresh the balls are. I read somewhere that a rough rule of thumb is to let a ball drop from your eye level and if it bounces back to your belly button, then it's adequate.

I just put my balls inside the Tennis Ball Saver after I play to help preserve the pressure, and toss them to my serve basket when the felt is worn out. Depending on how hard you hit the balls, 3 balls will probably last you a few sessions of 1-2 hour play each before the felt is worn out.

I wish you had written that in a slightly different way...coz what you have above is hilarious!!! :grin:

Sinner
08-27-2007, 01:36 AM
^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

slicefox
08-27-2007, 11:33 AM
you have a sick mind for noticing that, but it is FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLZ MAN! :D :D :D