PDA

View Full Version : serve practice

TheShaun
08-25-2007, 01:09 PM
now that my serve is more reliable, i want to work on accuracy. where in the service box should i put a ball can as a target?

luckyfool
08-25-2007, 01:23 PM
now that my serve is more reliable, i want to work on accuracy. where in the service box should i put a ball can as a target?

put it at the T line or corners.

Tennismastery
08-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Doesn't matter; the concept of aim won't matter where you put the target. The practice of hitting a target will improve aim. Better still, is your ability to change your aim on command. Thus, having two targets and going through the practice of hitting at one target for 10 balls, then the other; 5 balls at each, 3 at each, and then alternating.

WildVolley
08-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Doesn't matter; the concept of aim won't matter where you put the target. The practice of hitting a target will improve aim. Better still, is your ability to change your aim on command. Thus, having two targets and going through the practice of hitting at one target for 10 balls, then the other; 5 balls at each, 3 at each, and then alternating.

This sounds like a good drill. Reputedly, Sampras got to the point where his coach would call out a corner during the middle of his swing and he'd hit it. The goal was to develop a serve that couldn't be read. I'm just at the stage where I'm trying to hit one corner and then the other using the same toss.

Tennismastery
08-25-2007, 04:50 PM
This sounds like a good drill. Reputedly, Sampras got to the point where his coach would call out a corner during the middle of his swing and he'd hit it. The goal was to develop a serve that couldn't be read. I'm just at the stage where I'm trying to hit one corner and then the other using the same toss.

Obviously, the progression will be what you are going through...develop the proper swing pattern, spin and consistency then developing the ability to direct the serve intentionally with various spins. Then, such a drill as what Sampras was known to do, (as well as many teaching pros employ!), tossing and then having someone call out the serve spin and direction to help disguise the serve would be one of the higher skills that top players will want to practice.

Bagumbawalla
08-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Well, there may be players who can reliably hit a can of balls with their serve. My average, however, is about once in fifteen or twenty shots. So, I find it less discouraging to to lay out two or three small towels in stratigic service locations. You can definitely tell when you hit them, you don't have to go pick them up and replace them, and the target area is a bit more realistic in size.

ChocolatePie
08-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Take jump ropes and make a box and try to serve in there.