PDA

View Full Version : Tournagrip TV commercial

Nuke
08-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Has anyone seen the TV commercial for Tournagrip ("Tournagrip, the original light blue overgrip")? They run it on the Match Point show, which airs here on Sports South. The thing is, in the commercial, they show a pair of hands applying a Tournagrip to a racquet handle:

- The Tournagrip starts at least a half inch up from the butt of the racquet. A wide strip of the black undergrip is seen. Not right.

- The Tournagrip is being applied in the opposite direction to the regular grip, instead of following the same direction. Not really a major error but looks stupid for a commercial.

- The Tournagrip is being overlapped quite a bit, so there's no hope that it will be long enough to reach the top of the handle.

- The Tournagrip is being applied very loosely instead of being stretched a bit. You can see it's actually sticking up a bit on the finished sections instead of laying flat. Again, it's not going to be long enough to reach the top of the handle like this, and it's too loose to play with.

OK, I know Unique is a small player in the tennis world, but if they're going to film a commercial and pay to air it, couldn't they have gotten someone who knows how to apply the product to do the demo in the commercial? This is a weekly show and the same commercial runs every week -- you'd think the owners of Unique must cringe when they see how bad their product looks on the tube. It's laughable.

chair ump
08-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm glad someone else noticed this...The first time I saw it, I thought it was a joke...c'mon, guys even I can apply tourna in a routine fashion!

User Name
08-26-2007, 04:34 PM
thats really odd. it would seem to me that being a smaller company they would really want to try and show off their product. on a similar note, on a tennis catalog, it has a grip on a racquet, and it is about 1/4 inch up the racquet. its suposed to be advertising a leather replacement grip, but it just seems to me that these companys should be at least properly applying the products they advertise

Nuke
08-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Here's the page of Unique replacement grips, and yeah, they aren't applied all the way down to the bottom of the butt cap. It's especially noticable on the photo of the Softgrip. Lame:

http://www.uniquesports.us/prod_repgrips.htm

vinnier6
08-27-2007, 06:46 AM
i guess its a good thing the company isnt trying to make their living installing overgrips on customers racquets...leave that to the player/experts...

i personally wouldnt let anyone put an overgrip/grip on one of my racquets...i am way too picky....