PDA

View Full Version : Changing Ball Machine From Plug to Batt.

yourname1245
08-25-2007, 04:38 PM
has anyone done this?is it hard i know you will need to change the ac to dc current but whats the easiest way?
-sal

mark rodgers
08-26-2007, 05:26 AM
It all depends on the guts of the machine. If you have a Tennis Tutor, for example, their motors and boards are meant to run on 12 volts DC. If you have the AC model there is probably a transformer inside that converts AC to DC for the internals to operate. If you want to convert that machine to DC, all you probably have to do is bypass the transformer and install a DC power source like two 12 volt, 8amp/hour batteries connected in series (or a single 12 volt battery with 16 or more amp/hours). If you know a little bit about wiring, you can imagine that you can install a toggle switch where you can maintain your AC features but also plug in battery power when a plug is not available.

But if the machine components are meant to run on AC, then to convert to DC (battery), you would need an inverter to change DC to AC. This is like operating an AC powered appliance in your car.

Overall, if you have your heart set on converting from AC to DC, I would start by calling the manufacturer and speak to a technician. Another thing you can do it to find a electronic tech in your area and pay them for their time to advise you on what to do. If you try it yourself and don't know what you're doing, you can definitely damage components, especially your control board.

Here's a another idea: purchase one of those portable "Power Stations" that are used to jump start a car. Find one that has a built-in inverter with available AC plugs. I'm not sure how long it will operate your machine, but it will definitely work.