PDA

View Full Version : what are good career choices

drhopz
08-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Currenly, i am unsure of my major choice. I will be an incoming freshmen to ucla, in the major of biochem. Honestly, Im not fond of chemistry, but i dont hate it. What careers are in demand in today's world.

Bodacious DVT
08-25-2007, 05:01 PM
you really cant determine your career based on what the world wants. YOU need to do what YOU want.

the average person changes career paths 6 times after college. you want to do something that interests you and that is versitile. my dad majored in accounting. to this day, he hasnt clocked in an hour of accounting. he owns his own business and is very happy.

i plan on majoring in business administration, not because its the "thing to do" these days, but because i love business. that being said, im also keeping an open mind on other career choices.

again, do what interests you the most. dont think about money or job placement. all the money in the world wont matter if you arent happy.

btw, nblades are sweet :)

Feņa14
08-25-2007, 05:42 PM
you really cant determine your career based on what the world wants. YOU need to do what YOU want.

the average person changes career paths 6 times after college. you want to do something that interests you and that is versitile. my dad majored in accounting. to this day, he hasnt clocked in an hour of accounting. he owns his own business and is very happy.

i plan on majoring in business administration, not because its the "thing to do" these days, but because i love business. that being said, im also keeping an open mind on other career choices.

again, do what interests you the most. dont think about money or job placement. all the money in the world wont matter if you arent happy.

btw, nblades are sweet :)

The average person changes what they want to do 6 times after university? That's pretty interesting.

Pretty much everyone I know is going off to university next month but it's really not for me.

I think it's best not to really have a set idea of what you want to be because, let's face it, how many 30-40 year olds are doing what they set out to do when they were 18? And i'd be willing to bet that the people who are doing what they wanted when they were 18 are regretting it now to some extent.

If I still don't know what I want in a couple of years time, then i'll worry ;)

Freedom
08-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Just go where you feel peace.

Bolt
08-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Actuaries are generally well paid, work 40-45 hour weeks, have great job security, job mobility and career potential. It's not for everyone though and you've got to like insurance mathematics and the business world.

TheShaun
08-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Actuaries are generally well paid, work 40-45 hour weeks, have great job security, job mobility and career potential. It's not for everyone though and you've got to like insurance mathematics and the business world.

that's very true. they make good money but not right away. i would recomend studying finance or economics.

TokyopunK
08-25-2007, 07:59 PM
I hear there is a demand for professional American tennis players..... might want to check out that field. Oh and the Falcons need a QB.

sportsfan92
08-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I hear there is a demand for professional American tennis players..... might want to check out that field. Oh and the Falcons need a QB.

punk - that totally made me laugh. nice.

on a serious note - as has been said above - do what you love and interests you...the creativity and motiviation will be maintained if you are pulled along by your diretion than pushed along by someone else's.....

Zets147
08-25-2007, 08:10 PM
be a chef gogo

tennispro11
08-25-2007, 08:33 PM
be a chef gogo

I would listen to Zetz! He knows his sh*t!

Zets147
08-25-2007, 08:37 PM
compliments won't get you anywhere with me, tennispro11. I'm not like most people.

*hands over free sets of Reaction 17*

tennispro11
08-25-2007, 08:39 PM
compliments won't get you anywhere with me, tennispro11. I'm not like most people.

*hands over free sets of Reaction 17*

Damn straight! I wanted to be a chef. :sad:

SoBad
08-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Yep listen to Zets, do whatever he says. Be a chef, a gogo dancer, or go go into private security like Gogo Yubari.

Zets147
08-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Yar.. now I'm just being a loser and going for nutrition science :'(

Hopefully, I can get lucky and some upcoming player on the tour can hire me as their personal nutritionist hehe

It's a gamble I'm willing to take.

esm
08-25-2007, 09:38 PM
president... short of decent ones.

35ft6
08-25-2007, 10:46 PM
i plan on majoring in business administration, not because its the "thing to do" these days, but because i love business. Could you explain the "I love business" part?

Fee
08-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Currenly, i am unsure of my major choice. I will be an incoming freshmen to ucla, in the major of biochem. Honestly, Im not fond of chemistry, but i dont hate it. What careers are in demand in today's world.

Optometry or opthamology. People who spend 12 hours a day in front of the computer need all kinds of help. Or specialize in obesity disorders, since you live in the US. ;)

Zets147
08-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Fee, can you hook me up with the tennis industry later when I become a nutritionist? I'll try my best to help the american players get in the best shape of their lives so they can stand atop of men's tennis once more.

Fee
08-25-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't know a single player who has a nutrionist. You'd be better off with an Olympic training center, methinks. Or perhaps an academy that serves meals? I have no idea.

Zets147
08-25-2007, 11:09 PM
wha!!!? really? I'm sure I heard... oh man.... how am I supposed to travel on the atp tour now lol

Micky
08-25-2007, 11:15 PM

Hola,

Primero go to USC. Segundo, get a Babolat AeroProDrive Cortex. Finalmente, go for Industrial and Systems Engineering. Asi de simple.

Fee
08-26-2007, 12:03 AM
wha!!!? really? I'm sure I heard... oh man.... how am I supposed to travel on the atp tour now lol

Hey just because I haven't heard of one, doesn't mean there isn't one. I don't read every news story out there.

Travel with the tour? Are you bilingual? They were accepting applications for a player services rep a little while ago. That involves a LOT of travel (and a lot of hand holding and ego smoothing, etc, etc, etc.). Do you really want to be on the road 40 weeks a year?

LuckyR
08-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Hola,

Primero go to USC. Segundo, get a Babolat AeroProDrive Cortex. Finalmente, go for Industrial and Systems Engineering. Asi de simple.

For law school or film school, otherwise stick with UCLA...

dave333
08-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Medical and law fields are always going to be there. Tough, but big bucks.

Finance is probably pretty good, as well as computer stuff like software engineering. A friend of my dad makes 95 bucks per hour at home as a computer consultant.

Craig Sheppard
08-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Here's some general advice:

If you love tech, get some sort of engineering degree. Computer science degree--it's the best route for any job in the hi-tech field. If you think you want to be an actual engineer, look into EE or MechE or ChemE or something along those lines (since you said you liked Chemistry). All engineering degrees will usually lead to decent paying jobs if you like the field. I've found Computer Science gets you into a lot of related fields that aren't hard core engineering.

If you love science, get a science degree, but make sure you can stick it out for the long haul--at LEAST a Masters degree. Otherwise it's not really worth doing. Science pays very low w/o a Masters, and a PhD is better in both industry and academia (it's the only thing worth anything in academia). You won't get many good-paying jobs w/ just a bachelors in chemistry or biology, unless you plan on going further. This would set you up for pre-med if that's your thing.

If you can't figure anything out by the end of your Sophomore year, get a business degree. A psych degree or English degree or something along those lines aren't really going to get you "in" anywhere, but at least with a business degree you could go into some sort of finance or management or related 9-5 job in a business (marketing, HR, etc), which are the bulk of normal jobs out there. The only caveat to this is some humanities--government, history, english, etc--are ok starting points if you are planning on going to law school.

Good luck.

zapvor
08-26-2007, 06:58 PM
i say pursue your passions. it pays much more to be happy than to be rich. at least thats how i feel now working 7 days a week.

jj300
08-27-2007, 05:44 AM
being in the recruiting world, I always say that people should do what they like doing and what they're good at. Picking a major 4 years infront or even more is like hitting a moving target. In the early 1990's everyone was going for IT because thats what was hot at THAT moment., then the bubble came and people went unemployed. What is hot now may not be in 4 years or more, sure there are some industries less subject to this than others, but no industry is safe from overseas workers with high degrees and willingness to work long hours for little pay. Right now the field of finance/accounting/chemE are really hot. Business is not as hot as you would think, real business people are successful even without the business degree. There are many business people that started with a Psychology degree or History. Do what you like and the opportunities will present themselves if you're good at what you do. Many people look at people in business and assume that the education got them there, that is many times false. Many of the people with Ivy League degrees in business got the degress AFTER they started in the business. i.e. someone who has a masters in business from Harvard many times got that degree after years in the business world already. Do what you like to do and be the best you can at that field, if you do what you like, chances are you won't mind doing it for many hours, and that many times translates into being very good in your field, which in turns leads to open doors in the future.