PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Pro Kennex Racquets

Fred132
02-20-2004, 02:29 PM
I've been using a 5g for several months...I love the arm-friendliness of this stick, I can volley well with it, and have good touch and control with it.

For me the only think it lacks is a little more power. So I am planning on demoing the 15G PSE and the Core1 No. 10 for comparision.

Has anyone played with each of these 3 racquets? Which did you ultimately select, and why?

Thanks!

swilburn
02-21-2004, 08:07 PM
I am demoing the 7g, 15g pse and the core 1 #10. The 7g is ok if you like a head light racket. I working through some elbow problems so I can't test them as I would like. That said, I like the core 1 #10 best so far. A little lighter than the others, but still punches through the ball because of the balance. Seems to be very accurate in targeting. The 15g pse is a little stiffer, so more power- less feeling. Well worth demoing them!

Steven

Fred132
02-22-2004, 07:41 AM
The 15g pse is a little stiffer, so more power- less feeling.

Thanks for the comments. Interesting...I usually find stiffer racquets more powerful, at the expense of arm and shoulder trauma....

Fred

louis netman
02-24-2004, 12:15 AM
if you're an arm sufferer in need of pop on a 5g, 1) try adding some lead to the 3/9 or 2/10 positions on the frame 2) why don't you try more flexible stix? the 5g is to stiff at RDC 65. try stuff from volkl...the old c9 has been very good to my torn rotator. the tour 10 MP with open pattern (16x19) is nice too...Fantasy land: Volkl C9 with kinetic technology......oh yeah!!!!!!!!

Fred132
02-26-2004, 01:03 PM
I played yesterday with a Core1 No.10...interesting racquet. Compared to the 5G, I got a LOT more pop on my serve. Volleying was fun, too...nice and solid, and it worked well on putaways as well as touch shots. It felt very stable, especially since it is actually lighter than the 5G. FWIW the fit and finish of the racquet looks to be high quality.

I had a tougher time controlling groundstrokes, though. A lot of them in the net or sailing long. Maybe just a matter of getting used to it. This racquet is also not as arm-friendly as the 5G, I was somewhat sore afterwards.

Next I'll try the 15G PSE.

swilburn
02-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Fred132, thanks for your feedback. I just bought a used core1 10 off this board. The 15g pse was stiffer than the core1 #10 to me. I was impressed with it's power on serves also ( core1). Good luck with your racket search.

ma2t
02-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Why not try the 7g? My understanding is that is very similar to the 5g but more powerful which sounds like just the ticket for you.

Fred132
02-27-2004, 07:46 AM
Why not try the 7G?

Good suggestion. I have demoed the 7G, but have found that in general I volley better with standard length racquets. I realize that the Core1 No.10 and 15G PSE are a quarter inch longer than standard, but I'm hoping that may be a workable compromise.

I also tend to be a little clumsy with oversize racquets; I'm hoping the 102 and 105 si sizes might be an acceptable compromise also.

I'm also going to try adding some lead tape to the 5G, as louis netman suggested. However, I doubt it's going to make much of a difference unless I make it so heavy that it becomes unwieldy.

One of these days I'm going to demo Volkl racquets, too. In the past I have never been able to get my hands on the ones I wanted to try, so I kind of gave up. Also, the 5G has been so good to my arm that I want to give other Pro Kennex sticks a chance.

ma2t
02-27-2004, 09:48 AM
I really like the 7G (I just switched to it) and maneuverability at the net isn't bad (maybe it takes some getting used to though). The 100 sq in head seems to be a good size too for power plus control.

Ben42
02-27-2004, 10:30 AM
I have 2 5gs. The first one I got I put 4g of lead split between 10 and 2. This gave it a little more pop, especially on serves.

Oddly, the second one I got weighed and balanced exactly like my first one with the lead.

jmckinney
02-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Assymetric all the way!!!

carlosrothstein
02-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Not a word about the Pro Kennex Core 1 #6 another excellent stick of the Pro Kennex line, a tad demanding , I prefer it with the bumper on it , nice evolution from any brand player's frame, and a racquet very easy to customize.

Ronaldo
02-28-2004, 05:26 PM
jmc, Asymmetric is one freaky frame, no vibration but stiff. PK Type C is a demanding racquet.

Fred132
03-01-2004, 06:54 PM
After playing twice with both the Core1 #10 and the 15G PSE I am a bit conflicted. They are both nice racquets, and either provide more pop than the 5G. I would give the Core 1 #10 the edge in serving and volleying, but when I hit a ground stroke the impact seems to resonate up my arm.

I give the 15G PSE the edge in ground strokes and arm-friendliness, but I seem a bit more clumsy volleying with it. I was able to generate good pace and spin on my serves, but I could do the same with the Core1 No. 10 and place the serves better as well.

Guess I'll play a bit more with the 5G and see if I still want to make a change.

swilburn
03-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Fred, got my Core1 #10 tonight. After hitting with it some more, I feel it could use some more weight in the handle. This should make it a little more head light and stabilize the handle from shock. It definitely has plenty of power! I can see why you were having trouble with ground strokes, as the head weight drives through the ball. Nice feel on the strings.

Steve

krbo
03-03-2004, 05:22 AM
Fred,I'll suggest you few more options (from using 5g & 15G Light)

1. string - if you need "a little more power" Luxilon Alu Power on low end (48p) will do more than that without any stiffness problem.

1a. proportional stringing - a wonderful thing !

2. 15G Light - a year after using 5g I've purchased this one.It's a
wonderful stick.Light and powerful with 15g kinetic mass.

Usually I prefer light,low-swingweight rackets.Why?
Simply because you have large room for modifications.

Is it too light ? - put lead where necessary (handle,head,throat)
Is it too powerful ? - easy to compensate with myriads of strings on the market.

From the heavy and low-power racket you can't do almost anything, except trying other strings.

This way,with 15G, as my game improves I simply adjust it to my
personal demands.

Current setup is 15G Light,7.5grams at the butt,Alu Power Ice prop.
stringed - not even a slightest pain ...

btw. looking for a new racket for my wife I've noticed Volkl Tour 6 as a worth trying platform, great specs for us "racket tuners" but
only US version, european is different.

netman
03-03-2004, 11:20 AM
krbo, what proportional stringing setup do you use on your 5g?

Thanks.

krbo
03-04-2004, 01:07 AM
krbo, what proportional stringing setup do you use on your 5g?

Thanks.

5g is still on classic stringing as there is BB Alu also which lasts
forever for me :lol:

15g is prop. Alu Power with some modifications :

a) SDST used 0,18182 - closer to stiffer nylon multis then to polys
due to unique Lux. material (it's polyETHER not ESTER)
b) outer string tensions modified to be no more then 8lbs different then neighboring string to minimise equalising effect.
c) highest tension 50,7lbs , lowest 0
d) be prepared for notches on strings as they are moving much more.This is not strong arm-heavy hitters setup,such players must go to higher tensions if they use 15g at all.
e) feel is exceptional , spin potential enormous , off center hits unnoticeable , power very high

When I change strings on 5g it will be done on same principles.
(it's denser then 15g so less prone to string movement).

Tennisute
05-22-2004, 05:59 AM
Try Technifibre NRG 2 16 or the new Biophase string. I've used my 5G for 3 years and it made a big difference in handling after listening to the PK rep. Gamma Contour grip helps too. just my two cents...I'd go to the 7G, I demoed it and it is one nice racquet after the 5G