PDA

View Full Version : Hitting forehand on balls above strike zone

zenmaster
08-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I think probably the best way to hit forehands that will bounce high above the strike zone (hit with topspin or whatever) is to step into the shot and take it early, however, obviously we can't do this everytime and also it takes a lot of endurance and speed to get to every ball early.

What can I do to handle these balls? The problem is that I'm kinda short so it's hard for me to get any depth and pace on high balls without jumping into the court and taking them early.

Another thing is that I have no problem with these balls on my backhand and I can actually hit high balls back with great pace on my backhand (my stronger side anyway), but my forehand just can't handle these without having to moonball it back, hit short/ into the net, or just plain miss it going long.

Any tips?

Zets147
08-25-2007, 10:08 PM
fly like an eagle... to the sea.

Actually, try to get in position as fast as you can and drive the ball forward as much as possible. So, get back in position, load up your legs, and drive the ball. you might get some air time if you get good weight transfer.

jasoncho92
08-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Do a federer forehand by jumping :D

pushing_wins
08-25-2007, 11:37 PM
hit it like barry bonds

dave333
08-26-2007, 04:42 AM
To get more depth, hit it higher. Basically lob it back or for a more offensive way, hit wiht plenty of topspin and aim high.

If you feel you are in a defensive position, even when the shot is not so deadly like this lob, hit a defensive shot, from a slice to a lob to a loopy topspin shot that lands deep.