PDA

View Full Version : Grip?

flame08
08-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Hi, I am a 17 years old intermidiate player. I ahve decided to sriously get into tennis and i will start some hard training and routines from september. What do u think the best grip for me to do this is? I am better is precision than power and i also like topspin. What do u suggest? Semi-western? Western? Continental?

Gee Willikers Batman!
08-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Serves & Volleys - Continental
Forehand - Western for hella Topspin, Semi-western to put SOME, but its more flat.

flame08
08-26-2007, 10:11 AM
but for western i just cant get the movement right i mean i try to go from down and up with a slice but its too hard its just like my wrist is turend too much.. wat movement do u suggest for western? and wat for semi western?

AceofBase
08-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Try spreading your leg out wider and turn your shoulder and use your arm to swing up and keep your wrist from not turning after the contact for a western grip to get that heavy spin. Keep the racket below the ball and brush up. Look how Rafal Nadal play he's alway in a wide stance. He's the King of Western Grip. As for other grip its more of a left to right swing, but as for the western grip its more of a up and down swing. Thats why you dont see people play with its much as Nadal, cause people want power over spin

flame08
08-26-2007, 07:52 PM
ok I am havin a problem :D basically i act with my semi-western as a mixture between the semi-western left and right movement and the western up and down so basically i go left and right and up and down at the same time and I end up turning my wrist sometimes after it

wihamilton
08-26-2007, 08:48 PM
go w/a semi western. that will give you the most versatility as you develop your playing style.

AceofBase
08-27-2007, 05:21 AM
There's a post up in here somewhere where a person had a video clip of him hitting and i think he hit like you and the problem with that is that you wont get much pace or power when you do that with that up and down to left and right movement, so another way of putting it try lifting and then brushing up all at once, not left to right after the point of contact.

flame08
08-27-2007, 12:53 PM
so wait...how do i brush up not left to right....when semi western is supposed to be left ro right? u mean i should just continue an up and down shot like the WESTERN?

AceofBase
09-06-2007, 04:48 AM
Yes up and down with western and left to right with semi-western.

Vision84
09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Don't learn Western unless you will be playing mostly on clay.