PDA

View Full Version : Comments of my serve

deer224
08-26-2007, 10:08 AM
I have made a rather poor video of me serving, can you please comment on it, if possible. I am not a good player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ehAevgVQv4

Thank you

JMS
08-26-2007, 10:29 AM
overall, it is not a bad motion at all, and you are very brave to post a video of yourself on here. Next time you serve, try speeding up the motion, and see how that goes.

lkdog
08-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for sharing.
You look pretty athletic and nice and loose in your motion.

My only comment is that you open your shoulders maybe a bit early-hence everything was a toward the left and a bit flat.
If you could stay sideways to the net a little more and a little longer I think you would get more spin and could move the ball around the box more.

You actually do many things better than me-nice coil, good racquet drop, toss out in front and good knee bend.

Lot of good things to build on.
Yes, takes guts to post a video.

lakis92
08-26-2007, 11:03 AM
You foot fault! Your left foot should not move at all. You have a pretty nice serve but you have to pay attention on that.

AceofBase
08-26-2007, 11:28 AM
looking good just keep up the pace and maybe add more juice to it!

deer224
08-26-2007, 12:02 PM
overall, it is not a bad motion at all, and you are very brave to post a video of yourself on here. Next time you serve, try speeding up the motion, and see how that goes.
Sure, thanks for the advice, i am physically somewhat weak, but i will try.

deer224
08-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for sharing.
You look pretty athletic and nice and loose in your motion.

My only comment is that you open your shoulders maybe a bit early-hence everything was a toward the left and a bit flat.
If you could stay sideways to the net a little more and a little longer I think you would get more spin and could move the ball around the box more.

You actually do many things better than me-nice coil, good racquet drop, toss out in front and good knee bend.

Lot of good things to build on.
Yes, takes guts to post a video.
Thanks for the tips, i will keep them in mind next time! but i am not athletic at all ..LOL, the video definitely misrepresents me!!!

deer224
08-26-2007, 12:09 PM
You foot fault! Your left foot should not move at all. You have a pretty nice serve but you have to pay attention on that.
Great, thanks a lot for the observation. I will try to correct it. Never knew that!!

garbage
08-26-2007, 01:34 PM

A home made video does make everything look slow though.

JMS
08-26-2007, 01:43 PM
A home made video does make everything look slow though.

yeah but just in general terms, if he speeds up the motion it will add pace

Wheelz
08-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I have made a rather poor video of me serving, can you please comment on it, if possible. I am not a good player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ehAevgVQv4

Thank you

I like your smooth motion. How long have you been playing ? How is your serve accuracy ?

dowjones
08-26-2007, 05:59 PM
More arm extension at contact will give you more spin, speed and consistency. You'll have to toss the ball a bit higher though.

cukoo
08-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Nice serve, I shouldnt give advice b/c your serve is a lot better than mine.
Could you tell me how you slowed down your video by hlaf speed and 1/4 speed?

deer224
08-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I like your smooth motion. How long have you been playing ? How is your serve accuracy ?
I started about two years ago but used to play very little and sporadically. self learning, i might have played for a total of about 4 months increasing regular only this summer. my serves are not at all consistent far from being accurate.. lol. but then i never practiced serving a lot.

deer224
08-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Nice serve, I shouldnt give advice b/c your serve is a lot better than mine.
Could you tell me how you slowed down your video by hlaf speed and 1/4 speed?
In windows movie maker, right click the clip to add video effects, where there is an option for half speed, select it twice to get 1/4th speed.

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 06:45 PM
You did NOT foot fault in the video!

The one import thing that most good servers do is to keep both feet together when striking the ball. The instinct is to uncoil and spread the feet, you lose considerable power that way. In the windup you slide the back foot to even with the front foot, they should be together as you swing forward to strike the ball.

deer224
08-26-2007, 06:54 PM

The one import thing that most good servers do is to keep both feet together when striking the ball. The instinct is to uncoil and spread the feet, you lose considerable power that way. In the windup you slide the back foot to even with the front foot, they should be together as you swing forward to strike the ball.
No fault? .. what made the other guy say so. Can you please tell me exactly what a foot fault is. I am not very well acquainted with certain technicalities of tennis!

thanks

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 07:00 PM
A foot fault is when either foot is touching the line when you strike the ball - both of your feet were in the air when you striked the ball, legal.

deer224
08-26-2007, 07:00 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jjt9K_iEC2U

does this video show what you are saying?

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes - lot of power loss.

Andy's feet together on the 155 mph serve:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rhKNtLSUnBI&mode=related&search=

deer224
08-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Yes - lot of power loss.

Andy's feet together on the 155 mph serve:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rhKNtLSUnBI&mode=related&search=
You mean we shouldn't do like she did (feet apart)?

ubel
08-26-2007, 07:50 PM
lol, you don't need both feet together to get power. stand up right now and try it yourself if you don't believe me. jump first with your feet together, then again with your feet apart. you'll get a much more stability and power from spreading them.

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Wrong ubel, ask any coach, and tell it to Roddick.

In the video that deer224 provided, Maria was reaching for the ball because she tossed it up too far in front of her - so, her timing was off, and she had to compensate by opening her body (facing the court). You want to strike the ball with your body at a slight angle to the net.

ubel
08-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Wrong ubel, ask any coach, and tell it to Roddick.

In the video that deer224 provided, Maria was reaching for the ball because she tossed it up too far in front of her - so, her timing was off, and she had to compensate by opening her body (facing the court). You want to strike the ball with your body at a slight angle to the net.
Your defense is astounding. Explain to me how pin-point stance supplies more power than platform.. I could say the same thing, and tell you to to "tell it to Sampras (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsUMOeNi6BU)", whose serve imo was far more effective and powerful than Roddick's, but that doesn't make me right.

The way I see it, you get more stability from a wider base (platform stance) and that allows you to exert more force from your body in the direction you want. How do you see it?

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm not talking about whether to use the platform or pinpoint stance, I'm talking about where the feet are at the point of impact of the racquet and ball. As far as I'm concerned, you can do a backflip prior to striking the ball, but when you do, your feet should be together in order to apply the most power.

Try standing at the service line with both feet apart and hit a serve, then hit a serve with both feet together. You'll feel a loss of power with your feet apart, as you can't apply leg and abdomen strength to the swing.

ipodtennispro
08-26-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm not talking about whether to use the platform or pinpoint stance, I'm talking about where the feet are at the point of impact of the racquet and ball. As far as I'm concerned, you can do a backflip prior to striking the ball, but when you do, your feet should be together in order to apply the most power.

Try standing at the service line with both feet apart and hit a serve, then hit a serve with both feet together. You'll feel a loss of power with your feet apart, as you can't apply leg and abdomen strength to the swing.

Okay, I did. I get more power when I put my feet apart and not together.
Explain the concept of why feet together gives more power than feet apart?

thundaga
08-26-2007, 10:43 PM
you could probably get a little bit more arm extension when u strike the ball. is that an ncode n6? i used to use one

thundaga
08-26-2007, 10:45 PM
feet together will transfer your bodyweight into your serve more effectively.

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Okay, I did. I get more power when I put my feet apart and not together.

No you didn't.

And, I'm off this thread.

deer224
08-26-2007, 10:59 PM
you could probably get a little bit more arm extension when u strike the ball. is that an ncode n6? i used to use one
yes that's ncode n6 110 sq. in.

thundaga
08-26-2007, 11:33 PM
yeh i thought it looked a bit bigger... i had a 95 sq inch

ipodtennispro
08-26-2007, 11:41 PM
yes that's ncode n6 110 sq. in.

Deer224,

Please look at this splitscreen with a pro player. He uses a pin point stance(as earlier posted many do), however you can keep your stance as is however, look at the position of the back of the hand on your take back.

http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/petennis/You%20tube%20serve.mov

http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/
petennis/You%20tube%20serve.mov

You may have to copy and paste the second url if the first one doesn't load right away.