PDA

View Full Version : leather grip vs. other grips

TheShaun
08-26-2007, 12:04 PM
what is the advantage to a leather grip under your overgrip? i see many people here who are die hard leather under overgrip users.

User Name
08-26-2007, 12:27 PM
very good bevel feel and theyre just cool to use

Chauvalito
08-26-2007, 12:50 PM
I feel like I get a more solid feel for my shots. Instead of vibrations being transfered through an often times thick "squishy" overgrip, the vibrations get less lost through a leather grip...if that makes sense.

I went to leather after having played my rackets using just an overgrip over the bare frame. This was possible with my Vokl's because of the soft butt cap.

TheShaun
08-26-2007, 01:04 PM
thanks for the responses.
so are you guys saying that you only use the leather grip without an overgrip?

Sixpointone
08-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I myself love Leather Grips due to the Bevel definition that I get.

I use it in conjunction with a Wilson Pro Overgrip.

akoni
08-26-2007, 02:17 PM
great bevel feel, better overall feel compared to synthetic grips, and great with wilson pro overgrips or tournas imo.

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Some players prefer leather grips because they add weight to the handle.

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Great feedback and tactile feel with leather grips, great for serve and volley racquets.

ProStaff Legend
08-27-2007, 01:04 PM
i suggest u use an overgrip over leather or u are gonna get mad blisters. unless ur hav sturdy hands

AlpineCadet
08-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Some players prefer leather grips because they add weight to the handle.

It also deforms less in your hand when hitting heavy, which can translate into more ball feel/control.

Keifers
08-27-2007, 05:48 PM
I haven't tried all the synthetic replacement grips, but of the many I have tried, Gamma Hi-Tech is the firmest-feeling -- and it's not as firm as leather.

Weight is probably the key issue for me. If the racquet comes with a leather grip and I like its balance, I'll most likely stick with leather (and replace it with leather). If it comes with a synthetic, I'll probably stick with that -- unless I'm wanting to add weight to the handle (the leather is a nice way to spread the added weight evenly along the length of the handle).