PDA

View Full Version : Pin-Point Stance?

cukoo
08-26-2007, 02:04 PM
For the pin-point stance,are you supposed to slide/step your back foot up before or after you bend your knees?

Rickson
08-26-2007, 02:57 PM
For the pin-point stance,are you supposed to slide/step your back foot up before or after you bend your knees?
Bring the back foot up first, then bend.

BeHappy
08-26-2007, 03:34 PM
don't use a pin point stance, it's a useless eccentricity thaht gives you something else to worry about and only negates the power.

Gee Willikers Batman!
08-26-2007, 03:56 PM
I'd like to say aot of Pro's would disagree with you BEHappy

BeHappy
08-26-2007, 04:04 PM
I'd like to sa that a lot of pros learned from copying the best pros of their day, and that ivan lendl was the best player in the world when all these guys were kids, and he was also the only player to do that back then

Rickson
08-26-2007, 04:41 PM
don't use a pin point stance, it's a useless eccentricity thaht gives you something else to worry about and only negates the power.
Tell that to 80% of the WTA and 50% of the ATP.

User Name
08-26-2007, 04:46 PM
i see where BeHappy is coming from. I hit with the pin point serve for a while. Its good if you have a good motion with it and are comfortable with using it. The only problem is that like BeHappy was saying, it is an extra motion that you need to add to your serve, which takes more things to time correctly, not only with hitting the ball, but also with throwing your toss up. If your comfortable, go for it, sometimes you can get a little extra pop with it, sometimes not, but if you dont like it, you can always go back to old reliable and simple platform serve. Hope this helps, good luck.

BeHappy
08-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Tell that to 80% of the WTA and 50% of the ATP.

I would do, happily

cukoo
08-26-2007, 05:47 PM
I am only tweaking with the pinpoint serve b/c I am having trouble with my platform motion. I am having trouble bringing my momentum forward.

BeHappy
08-26-2007, 05:53 PM
stick with the platform and lean on your front foot, instantaneous results!!

AznHylite
08-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Wow somebody seems ****ed off lol.

cukoo
08-26-2007, 07:02 PM
^who?

cam2
08-27-2007, 05:13 AM

"Useless" is a little strong don't you think? Some people get more energy moving forward with it some don't. You are obviously one of those who doesn't and therefore think all else sucks, no?

stormholloway
08-27-2007, 07:39 AM
People say Roddick uses pinpoint, but from what I've seen he moves his back foot up before his toss doesn't he? I don't see how his stance is much different from Sampras', maybe slightly closer together.

WildVolley
08-27-2007, 08:27 AM
I was just watching Max Miryni at the US Open. Interestingly, he uses the pinpoint and bends his knees before bringing the back foot up. So, obviously there are a number of ways to use the pinpoint stance. I don't think the stance is as important as properly leaping up to the ball and leaning into the court. Without the proper balance at contact, your serve will lack pace and placement.

lkdog
08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
There have been biomechanical studies of both (yandell and others)
No definitive answer by any means as to which is better.

Use what works for you.