PDA

View Full Version : Getting lobs deep

killiankid
08-26-2007, 06:52 PM
today i played an agressive player who would hit shots deep and run to the net, and i couldnt seem to get my lobs deep enough to really get past him. How can i work on getting my lobs deeper?

Steady Eddy
08-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Often a short lob happens because the ball is misshit. That is, you missed the sweet spot of your racquet and the ball has hit near the frame. Because of this loss of power, the lob is short. I think this happens alot on lobs because the reason you're lobbing is because your opponent is at the net and this causes you to become distracted and you take your eye off the ball.

After you notice the opponent is at the net, really concentrate to keep your eye on the ball and also be sure to follow through with your lob. Even though you don't swing as hard on a lob, you still must follow through to control the ball.

Rickson
08-26-2007, 08:09 PM
today i played an agressive player who would hit shots deep and run to the net, and i couldnt seem to get my lobs deep enough to really get past him. How can i work on getting my lobs deeper?

You'd have to find the perfect height because if you send it up too high and short, you're gonna get smashed on either the overhead or after the bounce. If you send it up very high and deep, your opponent will have time to run down the lob. Try lobbing at a height that's just out of his reach and make sure it lands close to the baseline. As for how to do this, hit the ball with a little topspin, aim for a point that's just barely above his reach, and hit with just enough pace to make the ball land deep but obviously not out.

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Well the short answer is to hit the lob a little harder until you reach the baseline.

Rickson
08-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Well the short answer is to hit the lob a little harder until you reach the baseline.
What if a little harder translates to a little higher for the OP?

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Even better.

Rickson
08-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Even better.Doesn't higher and still short equal bigger smash after the bounce?

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 08:25 PM
The point here is, if your lobs are going to be short, it's better that they are high. Because, the reason for the you hitting lob in the first place meant that you were out of position, hitting it high at least gives you a chance to get back in position..

Bagumbawalla
08-26-2007, 08:43 PM
It is unfortunate that the time when most people "practice" their lobs is when they are warming up their opponent who is hitting overheads-- and they, of course, want something to practice on that lands about mid-court-- so what you are really doing is practiciing hitting a short lob that your opponent can easily put away.

Well, anyway, just like any other shot- a serve, backhand down-the-line, whatever, requires considerable PRACTICE until you get it right and can hit it close to the baseline under pressure during a match situation.

You might combine practicing volleys, groundstrokes, lobs and overheads in a kind of drill. Using half the court, have your partner practice volleys as you drive the ball to his/her forehand and backhand, then, at a random moment- throw in a lob (keep it on the same half-court) and, if it is good enough, follow it to the net, if not-so-hot stay back and deal with the overhead.

Reverse positions and repeat until it feels right.

killiankid
08-28-2007, 05:07 PM
that particular match my footwork was awful. i found my stance to be really open when i hit any of my shots and everything just went wrong lol.