PDA

View Full Version : What a Grip= What a horrible grip

bwain
08-26-2007, 05:55 PM
That is the worst thing to put on. I thought it would be easy but it is a huge hassel. Even f it was the best grip in the world I wouldn't use it. Anyone else have any thoughts on this grip?

JW10S
08-26-2007, 06:00 PM
I tried it when it was first introduced years ago and agree it's a terrible grip. I thought it would be good to have an overgrip with no overlaps. It was not hard to put on but because I hold my racquets low on the handles the grip moved around when I hit.

ironicqueery
08-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Once I got the hang of how to put it on, it became pretty easy to use, and I do rather enjoy it. However, I don't use it anymore because I like thinner overgrips. Also, it would tend to roll up a bit at the end - nothing major, but I like my grips pretty well over the butt of the racket.

bwain
08-26-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't know if I am a complete moron or what but it took me like 15 minutes to get the grip on and to get it to fit perfectly. I will be sticking with my original blue tournagrip for sure.

Gmedlo
08-26-2007, 06:42 PM
It feels like playing with a little pillow wrapped around your handle. Total Garbage.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-26-2007, 07:05 PM
yes, horrible grip. i don't know what i was thinking. . .immediately after putting it on and hitting around with it for a short while, i ripped it off. terrible, just terrible

volusiano
08-27-2007, 10:18 PM
The instruction that came with it is horrible, and it is hard to put on. My first time took easily 20 minutes. Now I'm down to 5 minutes, but it's still pretty tough some times.

The key is to slide on a little bit at a time, and roll the end up, then pull it down some in, then roll it up, then pull down some more until it goes all in, then roll the whole thing out. The plastic is there to help reduce the friction where you're pulling it down.

I don't have any problem with the grip moving around or rolling up at the end like the other posters do, however. I just make sure there's little extra at the end to wrap over the butt cap to avoid it rolling up on me. I hold my racket pretty low with my pinky around the butt cap, too.

I do like the way the grip feels, once you get past the initial hassle of putting it on and know how to put it on faster the next time. It's pretty tacky and stays pretty dry. Some people might prefer thinner grips, but I like its thickness just fine.

It last fairly long (enough) for me. I play about 3-4 times a week and I can easily go a few months on one grip. Most of the wear starts around the butt cap end. So I simply slide it out a little, cut off the wear at the end, and continue using it. Since I have a 1hbh, I can do this several times until it gets too short and worn out to toss away.

Nuke
08-28-2007, 03:34 AM
I tried it. Once. I didn't have any problem putting it on, and it had an OK tacky feel, but it just felt too rubbery. It sort of felt like I couldn't get a firm grip, even when holding the racquet tightly, and it would twist a bit in my hand. The rubbery feel just doesn't allow for a firm grip, so I immediately went back to Tournagrip. BTW, I usually use a couple of layers of overgrip on the bare racquet handle (no regular grip underneath) so I definitely prefer a harder grip to a soft one. The Whattagrip may be OK if you like softer grips, but it's not for me.

ProStaff Legend
08-28-2007, 10:21 AM
good thing i didnt buy one of these, i was about to just to try it