PDA

View Full Version : Around the net post is legal, but...

Rickson
08-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Here's the scenario. We were playing doubles. One of our opponents hits a wide shot and my partner goes past the net post to chip the ball back onto their side of the court. We weren't sure of the rule on this one as this wasn't a Federer vs. Suzuki type shot. My partner actually ran past the post, although he never touched it. We gave the point to those whiners, but we won the match anyway.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-26-2007, 08:09 PM
If he passed the post (as in, ended up on your opponents' side of the court) before or as he hit the ball, it is your opponents' point. . . If he passed the post after he hit the ball, it is your point. . .If the dispute is that your partner ran past the post sideways (rather than ending up on your opponents' side of the court), it is your point.

Geezer Guy
08-27-2007, 12:54 PM
You can go past the netpost either before or after the shot. There's nothing wrong with that. The only this is that you can't actually step within the lines of their court. (Singles if you're playing singles, or in this case he can't step in the doubles court since you were playing doubles.)

libiss
08-27-2007, 04:30 PM
It's legal, unless your partner passes the net and onto your opponets' side of the court. I've check the rule about tennis with ATP and I haven't seen anything about around the post shot being illegal.

Bodacious DVT
08-27-2007, 05:12 PM
You can go past the netpost either before or after the shot. There's nothing wrong with that. The only this is that you can't actually step within the lines of their court. (Singles if you're playing singles, or in this case he can't step in the doubles court since you were playing doubles.)

correct.

I believe it was in this month's edition of TENNIS mag- the question was asked "can you jump over the net?" the answer was "yes, as long as you do not land in your opponent's playing court (singles sidelines, doubles sidelines in doubles).

Rickson
08-27-2007, 05:20 PM

Then we gave up a perfectly legal point! To the evil Raul of all people!

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-31-2007, 01:31 AM

ah. . .I did not know that. well done.