PDA

View Full Version : As you hit, do you think about shotplacement or tecnique/form?

morten
08-27-2007, 12:21 AM
because i think i tend to "think" too much about what i should do with my body and experiment on new things... it is kind of creative, and i can do almost any stroke... but confusing too... opinions wanted.

peter
08-27-2007, 01:01 AM
because i think i tend to "think" too much about what i should do with my body and experiment on new things... it is kind of creative, and i can do almost any stroke... but confusing too... opinions wanted.

Umm.. Mostly I tend to think "relax!" before most shots. Placement and stuff I mostly let my "feeling" decide.

PimpMyGame
08-27-2007, 01:08 AM
yep, agree with Peter. I don't try to think, just do. I feel most of my really bad mistakes come about because I am thinking.

Consider a very defensive ball back from your opponent, it's coming back high and slow and will probably bounce near the service line - you're at the back of the court. What could you do? Move forward and volley, drive volley, let it bounce and try to kill it, drop shot, just play it deep? When I'm left with so many choices and they all race through my brain is when I make the most stupid mistakes.

crosscourt
08-27-2007, 01:08 AM
I just think about hitting the ball out in front. I try to focus on the ball the whole time it is in play. Everything else seems to follow from that.

cc

koopa_troopa
08-27-2007, 01:37 AM
Usually I just think about making good contact with the ball. Anything about placement is decided beforehand and is kind of set in motion on its own.

Flaming Flamingo
08-27-2007, 01:43 AM
I usually just focus on direction and thinking where i am going to hit it. Technique for me is something that comes naturaly. How many of you have to think to hit a forehand?? I know my own shots and capabilities so i just think about where i am going to hit the next ball and hope that the training and caching has paid off when it comes to how i hit the ball

AceofBase
08-27-2007, 03:52 AM
Yeah same here, just focus on the ball in front of you and where the ball is heading and then everything will come in play, but also try to look for an open and use variety shot. For example if someone hit you a cross court and is very deep toward the alley, try to varied your shot like hit it straight down the alley or hit a short angle top spin cross court back. Tecnique is depend on you, but as for form you cant always get the best form when playing a match and so thats where techique come in to back it up.

smoothtennis
08-27-2007, 09:12 AM
I agree with Koopa Troopa - you pick your aim point before the ball arrives, and set up your stance to hit that specific shot. By the time you are ready to swing, your aim should be well established...so just relax, and hit it with a smooth stroke. And don't try to change your mind at the last minute because it will cause a multitude of errors! Why? Because your stance is already set up to hit the first shot you were setting up for, that's why. You will wind up having to taking it earlier or later, and moving your wrist to compensate for change the racket fact at contact. And it doesn't often work well.

burosky
08-27-2007, 09:39 AM
I think the thinking part really should be done before the point starts. Once it starts it should all just be execution. Once in a while playing a point without any specific strategy or tactic works but it surely helps if you have one before you start the point.

Bagumbawalla
08-27-2007, 07:25 PM
A serious match is no place for "working on" your strokes and form.

Even as the ball is coming over the net to your side you should be setting up, making adjustments and deciding where to place your return.

By "deciding where to place the return" I don't mean consciously mulling over the various possibilities, I mean-- based on experience and knowledge of court tactics and stratigies that you have practiced and drilled- over and over- you almost instantaneously "know" the proper shot and take it without any second thoughts or distractions.

The stroking of the ball should also come effortlessly and without conscious thought-- except, perhaps a reminder, now and then, to watch the ball.

matt.jc
08-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Hmmm I usually forget what I think about. I'd say my form though.

QuietDaze
08-28-2007, 05:28 AM
These days I'm thinking about placement and strategy, where I would LIKE the ball to go. I don't think about form too much, except on the shots I'm weak on, like my backhand. I briefly think about where I want the ball to go but I concentrate on my form and pray it stays in play, and not a short ball.

WBF
08-28-2007, 05:32 AM
Amt. Spin, depth, placement, and power. My timing and swing adjust accordingly.