PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Tonic + / Xcel Premium

rulocal
08-27-2007, 01:43 AM
A friend just came back from the US (I am in England), with a selection of strings to try and he has offered me the above two if I want them . Would they be good in "hybrid' or would I be better off trying them separately. I have a Prince O2 White and play with a fair amount of spin.

Cheers

Valjean
08-27-2007, 05:26 AM
A hybrid that, for your game, would put the Xcel in the crosses isn't a bad idea. But what you are used to playing with bears on it as well. That's what I would go with, in any event!

Bad Dog
08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
A hybrid that, for your game, would put the Xcel in the crosses isn't a bad idea. But what you are used to playing with that bears on it as well. That's what I would go with, in any event!

I agree with Valjean.

Also, gut in mains gives more immediate feel; Xcel in crosses means you have twice the number of string jobs, with minimal cross string intrusion, from the single original set of gut.

From my personal observation, Xcel is arm friendly and extremely soft, to the point of giving the stringbed almost a pillow feel, which may take a short time to get used to. Your 03 white is said to be a relatively stiff racquet, so both natural gut and Xcel, together or separately, should mitigate the stiffness a bit.

But in case you play with heavy topspin, then you probably already know that the O3 racquet series go through strings quicker than others. So don't expect gut or Xcel to last for too long but enjoy while it lasts. :)

Your friend seems quite generous, especially since these two strings are not cheap.

diredesire
08-28-2007, 08:25 AM
IMHO, if you end up hybriding those two, the xcel will wear away long before the gut does. It wouldn't be very cost effective, either. I'd take both, and do a gut/syn gut hybrid (for cost vs performance), and xcel full job in another frame.

Bad Dog
08-28-2007, 09:03 AM
IMHO, if you end up hybriding those two, the xcel will wear away long before the gut does. It wouldn't be very cost effective, either. I'd take both, and do a gut/syn gut hybrid (for cost vs performance), and xcel full job in another frame.

Good advice Id forgotten about the relative wear of Xcel.