PDA

View Full Version : High balls and what to do?

ElbowKid
08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
I have a friend who I've hit with a couple times and he really is an amazing player. One thing I can't do when I play my friend is hit my forehands because all the shots coming at me have a crazy amount of topspin, ( damn Hawaiian grip) and when I make contact with the ball it's shoulder height or above. I feel really awkward when I hit the ball because over the few years I've played tennis I would hit the ball at hip level. Iím not sure how in front the ball should be or how my swing pattern should be, quite frankly I'm really confused... Any videos or tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you. :)

martin8768
08-27-2007, 11:25 AM
back up or hit on the rise

ElbowKid
08-27-2007, 11:29 AM
if i back up i'll be back 20 ft to hit the ball in my comfort zone if i take it on the rise im gunna have to stand on the service line, nice try anyways.

lkdog
08-27-2007, 11:39 AM
You can hit it on the rise by holding your ground and hitting hard through it like a half volley. Will take some practice.
You can also back up as stated, but you seem to indicate that you would be near the fence. :D

If possible you can hit slice backhands to his forehand which stay low.
If he is using such an ultra extreme western grip he will have a hard time with anything low.
There is a reason nobody uses the Hawaiian grip on hardcourts.

ElbowKid
08-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Thank you very much for the tip, come to think of it I havenít been holding my ground if I try and take it on the rise. I will definitely practice that :)

spc9999
08-27-2007, 12:09 PM
I have a friend who I've hit with a couple times and he really is an amazing player. One thing I can't do when I play my friend is hit my forehands because all the shots coming at me have a crazy amount of topspin, ( damn Hawaiian grip) and when I make contact with the ball it's shoulder height or above. I feel really awkward when I hit the ball because over the few years I've played tennis I would hit the ball at hip level. Iím not sure how in front the ball should be or how my swing pattern should be, quite frankly I'm really confused... Any videos or tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you. :)
if i back up i'll be back 20 ft to hit the ball in my comfort zone if i take it on the rise im gunna have to stand on the service line, nice try anyways.
I agree, there are times when you have to be able to hit the ball around the shoulders as there's no escape. If you can anticipate someone playing that ball with power, step toward the service box and hit perfectly on the rise then you're probably Roger Federer already :)

If you watch the pros, they routinely crush high balls, so it's a stroke well worth developing. I think you get a lot of options when hitting from up there: returning with topspin defensively, generating greater pace with a flat return, or playing attacking angles. IMHO it's easier to keep in the court because of the angle - you're hitting down into the other court instead of straight over the net.

FWIW, what I did was to start with a stationary ball: throw it in the air so it will bounce to the shoulder and practice your swing and positioning until you are comfortable. Than I moved on to gently hitting against a wall so that it would produce a shoulder high bounce. Then increasing the pace. No one will mistake me for a pro, but I feel more comfortable hitting from the shoulders than the ankles!

The swing doesn't feel mechanically different, everything is at a higher point, and the contact point and where you hit it in relation to your body. All that's dependent on your personal grip/arm angle/backswing/etc anyway, so only you can really work out how to hit most comfortably for you.

There's loads of video on hi-techtennis.com: for example Roddick and Nalbandian clips crushing the ball from shoulder height.

ElbowKid
08-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Ill be sure to go out and hit against the wall thank you. and why the "..."?