PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for BH consistency drills

Ares
08-27-2007, 12:42 PM
My 9 yo daughter recently finished a tournament. First and foremost, Im proud of her. She played hard, but lost to 2 opponnets that obviously had inferior strokes across the board. She had fun and at the same time realized what she need to work on... backhand consistency. She beat herself with over 20 unforced backhand errors in an 8 game proset. only 5 bh winners and 10 fh winners.

Can some of the experienced teachers here suggest a fun drill to work on BH strokes and footwork to enhance consistency and placement?

10s talk
08-27-2007, 12:56 PM
it depends on what type of mistakes she is making, are the mistakes long, short, or wide ?

Ares
08-27-2007, 05:02 PM
I would say the vast majority (80%+) are in the net.

Technically, I feel she is pulling up and not staying down and through the shot. Secondly, I think her racket face is too closed... hence the need to lift up. We're working on straightening out the grip some, turning the shoulders more, and staying low. She has decent strokes, just trying to keep the technical instruction minimal to avoid confusion, but at the same time trying to keep these bad habits from digging in.

Trying to devise a few fun drills to help with footwork/racket preparation, consistency, and pace.

In D Zone
08-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Ares,
Found this clip that might help your daughter.

http://playsportstv.com/box.php?media_id=51&id=6

Hope this help.

BravoRed691
08-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Nice looking sites with good ideas...thanx for the post!

BR

Ares
08-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Interesting.

Here is a quick clip of my daughters backhand. It appears that she is pushing instead of swinging the racket. Her arms bend in toward her body before striking the ball. I think this keeps her from having consistency and power. Her forehand is lethal. She can smack the crap out of the ball from the forehand wing.

Now keep in mind, I realize she is 9 and we play tennis for fun, not trying to build a pro. Just would like to address some technical aspects of her backhand before they get to be a bad habit. She made me hit backhand to her for another 1.5 hours after this lesson. I cant get her away from the courts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE2U_67aloc

Any ideas would be helpful. I thought of having my wife hold her racket at the back swing and make her pull the racket through the ball.