PDA

View Full Version : The ball landed in his court but bounced back into mine.

Service Ace
08-27-2007, 01:05 PM
What happened was I tried to hit a drop shot but I ended up hitting it a bit high but with a ton of slice. The ball dropped right behind the net on his side like a beautiful drop shot would and him having been back at the baseline, made a fruitless run for the ball. However, before he could reach it, the extreme slice caused it to hop back over the net and onto my side and obviously not expecting this, I was unable to get to it myself. My question is who earned the point? Does he actually have to get his racket on the ball for it to count as a return or did I just hit a winner for him against myself?

burosky
08-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Unless he touched it with his racket before it bounced on your side you hit a "winner". You get the point.

r2473
08-27-2007, 02:56 PM
What happened was I tried to hit a drop shot but I ended up hitting it a bit high but with a ton of slice. The ball dropped right behind the net on his side like a beautiful drop shot would and him having been back at the baseline, made a fruitless run for the ball. However, before he could reach it, the extreme slice caused it to hop back over the net and onto my side and obviously not expecting this, I was unable to get to it myself. My question is who earned the point? Does he actually have to get his racket on the ball for it to count as a return or did I just hit a winner for him against myself?

I hope you have a video of this (and post it).

bizzle
08-27-2007, 02:59 PM
dont really believe you..

Lionheart
08-27-2007, 03:08 PM
you win the point.

and guys who don´t believe, it´s not really that uncommon, i´ve done it once, not on purpose of course, and twice the wind helped.

WBF
08-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Meh. Not exactly common... but unbelievable? Have you played tennis before bizzle?

WildVolley
08-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Most people who have played doubles for a number of years have probably done this at least once. In all the years I've played tennis, I've probably only done it about 5 times.

Steady Eddy
08-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I've heard about this in the context of when you're allowed to reach over the net to hit the ball. That if a ball hits your side, then bounces back over the net, you are allowed to reach over the net to hit it. You can even just hit it into the net.

So this must be possible, or they wouldn't bother discussing provisions for it. However, I've never seen a ball bounce back over the net. So it is more unusual than, say, a hole-in-one in golf.