PDA

View Full Version : flattening out the ball w/ a semi-western grip

i love t3nn1s
08-27-2007, 02:41 PM
well...i didnt ever quuite understand exactly how to flatten out the ball for some more power...so the question iz how do u do it???

Gee Willikers Batman!
08-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Dont brush up so much on the ball, and concentrate on hitting THROUGH the ball

EricW
08-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Turn your wrist so you hit it squarely, no wrist movement through contact, rotate your upper body, etc.

Watch Andy Murray hit flat forehands, he does it perfectly

dave333
08-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Hit with a more level swingpath, more of a straight line, less low to high.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
08-27-2007, 09:09 PM
well...i didnt ever quuite understand exactly how to flatten out the ball for some more power...so the question iz how do u do it???

I kinda have the opposite situation as you...i cant seem the generate a good amount of top spin...i get frustrated and end up hitting everything flat.

krz
08-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Change the height of your backswing. Normally I'm assuming you drop your racket below the ball and then come foward, which would make you brush up. Try dropping the racket head less and than swing.

stormholloway
08-28-2007, 08:24 AM
All good advice. Keep in mind that a topspin ground stroke will always be about creating a ratio of drive to spin. Just change that ratio according to how the ball comes to you. I generally drive low balls flatter and higher balls with topspin.

Frank Silbermann
08-28-2007, 08:43 PM
When I started playing 34 years ago, people spoke about "hitting flat." I don't hear about that anymore. Instead, I hear about "flattening it ('it'?) out".

What is the difference between hitting flat (or hitting flatter) versus flattening it out? (Whatever "it" is.)

BLAST
08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
^ Interesting, I think its because the heavy topspin game has become the norm now.

paulfreda
08-29-2007, 05:36 AM
When I started playing 34 years ago, people spoke about "hitting flat." I don't hear about that anymore. Instead, I hear about "flattening it ('it'?) out".

What is the difference between hitting flat (or hitting flatter) versus flattening it out? (Whatever "it" is.)

Hmmmmm ..... when I began playing it was called a "forehand drive".
That would be middle/late 60's.

Hitting flat; taking a neutral ball and driving the ball flat.
Flattening it out; taking a topspin ball and not topping it back but hitting it more flat .... i.e. changing the pace of the rally.

burosky
08-29-2007, 02:15 PM
I think the key here is the trajectory of the ball.

For a flat shot the trajectory of the ball has little to no arc all the way to when it bounces. For a shot that is flattened the trajectory of the ball also has little to no arc but as it goes down to bounce, the ball drops with a steeper angle because of the spin.

Racket technology has a lot to do with this. It allowed the strokes to evolve into the "modern" strokes we are seeing now.