PDA

View Full Version : Hard or soft strings?

geo
03-17-2004, 11:14 AM
Dear sirs, although I live in the place where guga learned to play tennis and lives, there is only one little tennis shop with limited supplies. But they will receive some Comfort Zone strings next week. I know it is a well known brand... so could you please comment about its quality and sensation?

Also: what are the advantages - if any, besides economical perhaps - of using hard (wiry) strings. I just put some monofilament poli string in my i-prestige and I felt that it dampened the spring effect of the string bed so markedly that I had to ask. Funny is that it is a very much used string among youngsters here. They call them simply wire-strings. Generally speaking are not hard/dry/wiry strings
a disadvantage in the sense that the power to hit the ball should be bigger. Or perhaps comparing with softer strings the tension should be lower for a similar effect? Or maybe they are more forgivable?

Tx.

-geo-

Robert Jones
03-17-2004, 12:16 PM
In general soft strings like multifiliments are easier on the arm and have more power vs a stiffer string. There is no right or wrong its just preference. Personally I don't like multifiliments. They are good for serve and volley since they have power but I don't agree that they have feel. I prefer the stiff shock up the arm strings, that shock is the feel and to some it means pain. But it provices instant feedback on mishits and more control. Of course you can mess with the tension to counter some of the downsides.

Note: I should have said I don't like soft strings as there are stiff multifiliments.

@wright
03-17-2004, 01:07 PM
I like soft elastic strings, but without a dampener so some of the feeback will be retained. Easy on the arm too.

geo
03-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Ok... but is it not a fact that hard strings are less powerfull then soft ones at the same tension? Very generally speaking...

Robert Jones
03-22-2004, 02:42 AM
I would agree that stiffer strings are less powerfull at a given tension.

I really don't know why baseliners like spongy multifiliments. Yes they are soft on the arm but...... They really are poor for control.

People whine about lack of power with stiffer strings. Those people must be taking tiny little choppy swings. If you take a full swing you can get plenty of power on dead strings. For most non pros power is not going to win you many matches. Control first then power.

Gaines Hillix
03-22-2004, 04:52 AM
Robert, some baseliners like soft powerful strings because it gives them more depth on their shots. The big hitters don't need it. Just the opposite, in fact. It all depends on the player and their stroke style and speed.

Robert Jones
03-22-2004, 04:02 PM
I would agree that shorter swing styles are going to prefer the more powerful string. I have the opposite problem I have to have a low powered racquet and low powered strings at 63+ or my shots tend to go too deep. I don't hit flat either.

I have some multifilements in my Diablo and am attempting to rein in the power. I have to put severe top spin on everyshot to keep the ball in play. If I slow my swing way down or choke up on the handle I can do ok. But no matter how I swing, short, slow or heavy spin I don't have the side to side accuracy that I do with dead strings.

The probable reason is that dead strings seem to keep the same tension over a wider area of the string bed. If I hit a shot slightly off center with the dead strings it does not take away as much of my power. If I hit a ball off center with the lively multifiliments the power drop is more dramatic and it seems to propel the ball off target much more than dead strings.

If I could hit every ball dead center then the lively strings would be ok in terms of spraying the ball left or right of the target. I'm not a 6.0 player so I have better control with the dead strings.

The worse that happens when I hit a topspin shot with dead strings is the ball is short but in play. A short heavy spin ball is not a instant loss of a point. But a ball hit 2 feet long is.