PDA

View Full Version : how to hit a fh or bh while moving in...

TheShaun
08-27-2007, 02:46 PM
as i'm on the run in to the net i have trouble hitting a solid ground stroke, it either goes long, in to the net, or it's just a softie. any tips?

r2473
08-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Are you referring to:

1) Chip and charge;
2) Putting away short balls

??????????

TheShaun
08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
puting away

dave333
08-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Do you mean low short balls or just short balls that are ripe for putting away.

If its low and short, that means trouble. Its best to chip or slice to the weaker side, deep.

If its middle height and short, take a relaxed swing and put it down the line or into open court and follow the ball. Try to keep it on the flat side. Don't go all out, you need to keep it controlled. The placement of this shot is far more important. A medium paced shot deep and closer to the sideline is just as good a shot you go all out on. So stay relaxed.

In D Zone
08-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Do you mean low short balls or just short balls that are ripe for putting away.

If its low and short, that means trouble. Its best to chip or slice to the weaker side, deep.

If its middle height and short, take a relaxed swing and put it down the line or into open court and follow the ball. Try to keep it on the flat side. Don't go all out, you need to keep it controlled. The placement of this shot is far more important. A medium paced shot deep and closer to the sideline is just as good a shot you go all out on. So stay relaxed.

Dave 333 hit it dead on!

Next challenge for you is to actually know when to use the options given above. Hitting approach shots or chipping a short ball are very tricky and requires you to relax as you are moving into the shots. Practice is the best answer so that when both situation occurs you know what to do.

burosky
08-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Start with the proper foot work. I'm assuming you are not scrambling just to get to the ball because if you are, all footwork is thrown aside. You will need to learn to use the carioca (Not sure if spelling is right. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) step. This is the most effective way to approach the ball in that situation. Once you get there, follow Dave333's advise and hit the ball depending on the height of the bounce. For me, I simplify it by whether the bounce is below or above the net. If it is lower than the net I always treat it as an approach shot. If it is higher than the net, depending on how much higher, I either go for an outright winner or an approach shot.

In D Zone
08-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Start with the proper foot work. I'm assuming you are not scrambling just to get to the ball because if you are, all footwork is thrown aside. You will need to learn to use the carioca (Not sure if spelling is right. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) step. This is the most effective way to approach the ball in that situation. Once you get there, follow Dave333's advise and hit the ball depending on the height of the bounce. For me, I simplify it by whether the bounce is below or above the net. If it is lower than the net I always treat it as an approach shot. If it is higher than the net, depending on how much higher, I either go for an outright winner or an approach shot.

As Burosky point out ! everything starts with FOOTWORK!

Here is the link that explains the Carioca Steps in detail , even with a vid clip showing how Sampara apply this steps.

http://www.tennisone.com/newsletter/template/11.22.04.newsletter.html