PDA

View Full Version : Consistant serve?

cukoo
08-27-2007, 05:34 PM
This is really fustrating, I've been playing all summer and some time before it but I still dont have a consistant first and second serve. How long did it take you guys to get a consistant serve going? Any advice?

Dominik
08-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Well, you have to make sure all of your technique is exactly correct when you're serving. Even the smallest thing can make a world of difference.

On first serves (flat), make sure to use continental grip, toss around 1m in front and at 1:00 (11:00 if you're left-handed).

For second serve, you should try to learn a kick serve, which is basically topspin and some sidespin. This means that the ball will clear the net by more space, and it will still land in due to the downwards driving force of the topspin, then it will bounce to the side as a result of the sidespin. All of this combines for a very consistent second serve that allows for a high margin of error. This is very important because you NEED to be able to get your second serve in ten out of ten times.

Here's an article from tennis.com explaining how to perform a kick serve properly:

http://tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/serve/serve.aspx?id=529

Good luck!

WildVolley
08-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, I still don't have a consistent serve, but I understand what it takes to get one. You need to be doing basically the same thing each time to hit a consistent serve. Most players I've watched or coached don't even have a consistent toss, so it is easy to understand why their serve isn't consistent.

Dominik has given you good advice by saying to focus on a topspin serve, or at least a combination topspin/slice which will give you a wider margin for error. It is best if you can go out and start hitting 50 serves a day or something like that. Make sure you have a consistent pre-serve ritual, that you are aligning your feet the same way on each serve, and that your toss is going to the same place. Then work on hitting that second serve.

If you can get a hold of a video camera, it can make a huge difference. You can see if you're doing the same thing each time.