PDA

View Full Version : World Track and Field Championships

anointedone
08-27-2007, 07:46 PM
The World Track and Field Championships are on, is anyone watching. Already Tyson Gay pulled off a super win in the mens 100, relegating arch rival and World record holder Asafa Powell to bronze; while in the womens 100metres American Lauryn Williams missed out in a valiant attempt to defend her 100 metre title, losing a photo finish to one of the Worlds leading sprinters, Olympic 200 metre Champion Veronica Campbell. Gay looks to be a clear favorite to win the 200, where he came into the Worlds as a much more firm favorite then the 100 (mainly because of Powell being so close coming in, in most peoples estimation). Williams though wont be in the 200.

Dibaba and Bekele as expected cruised to 10, 000 golds, further solidifying themselves as all-time greats of distance running at a young age as they pile onto their burgeoning medal hauls. Both will be later attemping to win double gold by taking the 5, 000 as well.

Carolina Kluft not only won her 3rd straight World title in the womens Heptathalon, she did so by posting 7032 points, the most of any women in history outside of Jackie Joyner Kersee.

atatu
08-27-2007, 07:55 PM
I have to admit I have not been watching. Did Alan Webb qualify ?

anointedone
08-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Alan Webb did qualify but he was pretty casual about it in the semis. I was surprised he cut it that close. The top 5 from each of the 2 semis advance of course, then the 2 fastest times of the 2 semis combined. He came 5th barely in his semi, qualifying directly by only 0.06. As it turned out his semi was the faster of the two, and he would have qualified on time anyway, but it was only 2 seconds on average faster, so it makes me doubt he was relying on that as a certainty.

Then again maybe he was certain that was the faster semi. He also may have felt certain he was in that top 5 spot, despite the very narrow margin at the tape. Usually when an athlete does makes sure they are in, they give themselves a few tenths though.

Anyway I still think he has a good shot in the final but his method of qualifying was a bit strange.

anointedone
08-29-2007, 04:32 PM
The U.S wins two more gold medals today at the World Track and Field Championships, with Michelle Perry winning the womens 100 metre hurdles, and transplanted Kenyan/now American Bernard Lagat finally winning his first Olympic/World title after multiple runner up finishes. Alan Webb finished a dissapointing 8th.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/08/29/bc.run.worlds.men.s1.ap/?eref=mostpop

Canada also got a silver medal from Perdita Felicien in that same 100 metre hurdles race, coming back from a rough few years following her heartbreaking Athens fall in the final as the then reigning World Champion and gold medal favorite. It should be quite a race next summer between Perry and Felicien in Beijing.