PDA

View Full Version : You're having a bad day stringing when....

Pages : [1] 2

Radical Shot
08-27-2007, 09:07 PM
You're doing a one-piece ATW pattern and you go to thread the last cross and realize you're on the wrong side!
You're about to string the last few crosses and realize that you've measured the string too short
You tension a string and......the string snaps!...and it's gut!
You tension a string and.....your frame snaps!
You tension a string and.....your stringing machine snaps!
Any of the last 3 occur and it's not your stuff.
You mis-weave a cross
You mount the frame off-centre and start stringing, only to realize that your mains aren't looking very straight!
Someone gives you a vintage 22x26 pattern frame and asks to string it with 15g Wilson Enduro
Your starting knot...doesn'tC'mon guys, chip in. Let's hear what you've got!

Gmedlo
08-27-2007, 09:26 PM
11. You finish stringing your racquet at 2 A.M....... you wake up to find that you didn't weave a single cross.

Voltron
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
12. You have to string an O3 Red with 15 gauge kevlar.....only to find out that you can't physically get the kevlar through the tie-off holes

tennispro11
08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
13. You just get done playing a three hour tennis match in 100 degree heat and you come home to realize that you forgot to string 3 Head LM Prestige's with Pro Red Code 15g the day before.

Gmedlo
08-27-2007, 09:32 PM
14. A customer wants you to string full .065" weed wacker line in a woodie :p
15. You call Eagnas customer service.

ThePro101
08-27-2007, 09:41 PM
16. You take a freshly strung racquet off the machine, and then someone else notices that you never tied-off...

Radical Shot
08-27-2007, 09:51 PM
17. Your cupboard is full of tennis racquet covers and string dampeners...

Radical Shot
08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
18. Marat Safin calls you up and asks you to be his personal stringer.

jonolau
08-27-2007, 10:00 PM
19. You're stringing halfway and drop your awl ... which lands tip down on your foot. (happened to me twice!)

20. You're reaching for the pliers in the tray when your diagonal cutters are facing up. (Dang! Just happened to me yesterday and thankfully I've had my tetanus booster this year and had some plasters handy.)

jonolau
08-27-2007, 10:03 PM
21. You've just finished stringing a hybrid with strings your customer provided and you recall that he'd asked you to string the poly on the cross instead.

jonolau
08-27-2007, 10:05 PM
22. You're using a pathfinder awl and when you pull it out, all you're left holding is only the handle.

Radical Shot
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
23. You're pulling a knot tight with your long-nose pliers and the string snaps and you end up stabbing yourself in the chest. (Happened to me once)

dowjones
08-27-2007, 10:16 PM
24. Your spill your homebrew on the crosses :sad:

mucat
08-27-2007, 10:23 PM
25. You finished string the racket 3 am in the morning. After close examination, you notice your string job is wrong, so you proceed to cut the string to redo the whole thing again. After the string is cut, further examination concluded that your previous examination was wrong...

jonolau
08-27-2007, 10:27 PM
24. Your spill your homebrew on the crosses :sad:

Come by my place, I've got some freshly brewed English Bitter on the tap. ;)

Ljubicic for number1
08-28-2007, 02:06 AM
26. You just finish stringing your main stick 1 hour before a important match and whilst watching TV you grab the side cutters to trim up the knot tails, you hear a loud pop and look down to see you have cut the main instead of the tail!!!!!

keithchircop
08-28-2007, 02:38 AM
27. You have to string Gamma Ruff (1.55mm)

jelle v
08-28-2007, 03:48 AM
23. You're pulling a knot tight with your long-nose pliers and the string snaps and you end up stabbing yourself in the chest. (Happened to me once)

:grin: Happened to me too once.. luckily I always do a 2 part stringing job. Man did I get angry and man did I wonder why on earth I wanted to tie the knot so tightely.

hoons
08-28-2007, 03:54 AM
28. when you jam your new awl in a tight hole and it comes out bent. Those things need to be made out of titanium or something

Radical Shot
08-28-2007, 04:17 AM
29. You forget to adjust the tension setting between racquets and turn a grannystick into a trampoline! ;-)

<3Tennis
08-28-2007, 10:48 AM
30. You tip your stringer over and everything comes crashing down. (only once)

User Name
08-28-2007, 11:04 AM
14. A customer wants you to string full .065" weed wacker line in a woodie :p

HaHa funny, its awful, cause ive done this. ^^^ reffering to the full weed whacker set up^^^

31.) You pull a racquet off mounting and realize that your ipod headphones were tensioned under a main to the frame.

mucat
08-28-2007, 11:23 AM
31.) You pull a racquet off mounting and realize that your ipod headphones were tensioned under a main to the frame.

I was just taking a sip of my hot chocolate...can you come and clean my monitor, please :D

tbini87
08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
you cant get the string into a grommet covered by another string, so you use your awl to move it and end up cutting the string in half.

you get to your last cross and realize you didn't give yourself enough string, so you have to pull out all the weaves and start over with a longer piece of string!

netman
08-28-2007, 01:56 PM
26. You just finish stringing your main stick 1 hour before a important match and whilst watching TV you grab the side cutters to trim up the knot tails, you hear a loud pop and look down to see you have cut the main instead of the tail!!!!!

Done that. It will make a grown man cry.

VGP
08-28-2007, 01:57 PM

Wow, that sucks.

netman
08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
You put the racquet on the stringer and lightly tighten the hold downs. You'll tighten them down completely when you start stringing. Get distracted and start stringing later. Suddenly realize that the frame looks distorted. This happens right as it cracks.

SuperFrogFighter
08-29-2007, 09:51 AM
I got a new stringer a few weeks ago. I took off work early when it arrived and was excited to go string my first racket. I had already watched the videos and researched for weeks so had some idea what I was doing. Well start my first racket 45 minutes the mains are done and I am feeling good! Well I am almost done with the crosses and I realize I have an extra hole. I begin counting and realize that I mounted the racket uneven so the entire string job was messed up.

I cut mains and take the crosses out and start again.

I am rolling along the second time. Took my time and counted the holes and know everything is good. I tie the mains and start on the crosses. Well I am almost done and notice that the bottom few strings are not straight across, I skipped the third freakin hole on the crosses! I unweave the crosses and restring them. As I am tying the last knot one of the mains pop, I had tightened my clamps to much and they left little cuts in the string.

I need a break and luckily have a softball double header that night. I go play and come back determined to finish one racket. An hour later I had strung my first racket and was feeling good....until I hit with it the next day. The ball was all over the place and it was the only racket I had.

2 weeks later I can string a racket in 45 minutes with a Super Stringer and they feel great. Still only comfortable stringing for my friends and family for now, I know they wont be mad or make fun of me if I mess up.

iplaybetter
08-29-2007, 10:08 AM
when you do a full poly job and don't have enough string to get to the tie off
the outside knot hast popped yet:-D :-D
also while most seem feasible, who pops the stringer!!!!!!

steebo
08-29-2007, 10:54 AM
When you break a string in the middle of a game, get a fresh one, then during the changeover, after making the first cut with your pliers on the broken one, realize the racquet is your opponents, who is taking another excessive bathroom break. After the awkward silence when he came back, it was such a relief to hear, "My stringer sucks! I can't believe this happened again!"

onkystomper
08-29-2007, 02:31 PM
When you are giving a Sp1n Fan String patterened racquet with no string patterns and cut the strings out before you check what you are doing!!

tbini87
08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
I got a new stringer a few weeks ago. I took off work early when it arrived and was excited to go string my first racket. I had already watched the videos and researched for weeks so had some idea what I was doing. Well start my first racket 45 minutes the mains are done and I am feeling good! Well I am almost done with the crosses and I realize I have an extra hole. I begin counting and realize that I mounted the racket uneven so the entire string job was messed up.

I cut mains and take the crosses out and start again.

I am rolling along the second time. Took my time and counted the holes and know everything is good. I tie the mains and start on the crosses. Well I am almost done and notice that the bottom few strings are not straight across, I skipped the third freakin hole on the crosses! I unweave the crosses and restring them. As I am tying the last knot one of the mains pop, I had tightened my clamps to much and they left little cuts in the string.

I need a break and luckily have a softball double header that night. I go play and come back determined to finish one racket. An hour later I had strung my first racket and was feeling good....until I hit with it the next day. The ball was all over the place and it was the only racket I had.

2 weeks later I can string a racket in 45 minutes with a Super Stringer and they feel great. Still only comfortable stringing for my friends and family for now, I know they wont be mad or make fun of me if I mess up.

i might have thrown my stringer out the window... but glad you stuck with it and are improving now!

Steve Huff
08-29-2007, 10:03 PM
You pull tension on one of the mains and notice that the grommet looks split. As you bend down for a closer look, the string snaps, hits you in the face and leaves you bleeding.

dancraig
08-29-2007, 10:09 PM
*You try to remove the racquet from the machine and find you have strung the racquet to the machine.
*You pick up the "next" racquet and snip a couple of strings. Then you realize that it is the racquet you just finished stringing.
*You get half way through the mains and, as the frame starts to look a little round, you realize you didn't tighten down the mounting.

Skycat
08-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Bwahahahaha
This thread is sooooo funny!!

Gee.. I wish I had a stringing machine myself!:)

Radical Shot
09-02-2007, 01:38 AM
* You run out of beer half-way through a stringing job

stevekim8
09-02-2007, 08:44 AM
when you are done weaving the second to the last cross, and have one more cross left, and you decide the cut the part of the string off to make it shorter for convenience. then you realize when you weave it through the last cross, you don't have enough length to reach the tensioner

shojun25
09-02-2007, 08:52 AM
when the starting knot pops out of the grommet.

when your at the last mains and the string can't reach the tensioner (in a dropweight machine).

when you finished your mains (with gamma professional) then got started with the crosses. after finishing with the crosses (with nxt), you go back to trim the excess string from the knots and hears a loud noise. bye bye mains :(

when you incorrectly measure out the string you need.

(all these happened to me)

mrHan
09-02-2007, 10:37 AM
when your at the last mains and the string can't reach the tensioner (in a dropweight machine).

you can use your starting clamp to fix this problem

shojun25
09-02-2007, 12:33 PM
you can use your starting clamp to fix this problem

i dont have a starting clamp. im thinking of getting one though... but i think that the price is outrageous ($30).

baselinerT
09-02-2007, 12:57 PM
32.Finish mounting the raquet on your tabletop machine and it falls over breaking the machine and cracking the raquet.(Luckily it was something like a Wilson Hammer xp or something like that)

*it was a crank machine.

mrHan
09-02-2007, 09:24 PM
i dont have a starting clamp. im thinking of getting one though... but i think that the price is outrageous ($30).

Trust me, it is well worth it.

Radical Shot
02-10-2009, 06:35 PM
30. You tip your stringer over and everything comes crashing down. (only once)

AAArrrhhggg. Just did this and totally destroyed the frame of a Head S4.

I was reaching over to grab the cutters and didn't notice that the string had looped around my leg. As I reached, the whole machine tipped over and snapped the frame almost in two. Big dent in the side of the machine also.

What an expensive string job for me!

sk8ing
02-10-2009, 08:24 PM
33. when your done stringing and go to take your racquet of the stringer u notice you strung the racquet to the machine.( friend did this LOL)

Max Winther
02-10-2009, 08:53 PM
lol 17 months old.

Tombhoneb
02-11-2009, 02:29 AM
^^ awesome thread though.

Couldn't find my normal pliers so i used some old crap ones that came free. I was tightening the last knot, the pliers slipped off the string and next thing i know i have my pliers right through my lip into my mouth making a nice hole. OOPS!!

Pro Staff Pete
02-11-2009, 02:56 AM

Happened to me once.. not happy :)

Radical Shot
02-11-2009, 03:40 AM
^^ awesome thread though.

Couldn't find my normal pliers so i used some old crap ones that came free. I was tightening the last knot, the pliers slipped off the string and next thing i know i have my pliers right through my lip into my mouth making a nice hole. OOPS!!

A similar thing happened to me also. I was pulling the string with the pliers to tighten the knot towards my chest, the string snapped and the next thing I knew I had a pair of pliers stuck in my chest - right over my heart! It was only a shallow puncture, but it sure freaked my wife out when I turned around and showed her. I was stringing without a shirt on, and it was quite a sight!

That was a close call. From now on, I use a Parnell knot to start and finish with, and I don't use pliers to tighten it. You can tighten these by hand.

Jsa2u
02-11-2009, 03:58 AM
When you break a string in the middle of a game, get a fresh one, then during the changeover, after making the first cut with your pliers on the broken one, realize the racquet is your opponents, who is taking another excessive bathroom break. After the awkward silence when he came back, it was such a relief to hear, "My stringer sucks! I can't believe this happened again!"

winner!!!!!!:)

diredesire
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM
19. You're stringing halfway and drop your awl ... which lands tip down on your foot. (happened to me twice!)
I have a really, really sharp tipped pair of flush cutters. I dropped them onto my foot, looked like a vampire bat had struck! Luckily I was stringing on a very low coffee table :)

Me too, try the face! Right next to my mouth, It didn't even bleed, which was really bizarre to me. There was a hole which i could split open, but no blood...

This one got me laughing, at work ;P

You pull tension on one of the mains and notice that the grommet looks split. As you bend down for a closer look, the string snaps, hits you in the face and leaves you bleeding.
Yikes, I've had string snaps hit me in the hand, I would have freaked out if one hit me on the face. (Can you guys imagine what woudl happen if you got hit in the eye???)

*You try to remove the racquet from the machine and find you have strung the racquet to the machine.
*You pick up the "next" racquet and snip a couple of strings. Then you realize that it is the racquet you just finished stringing.
*You get half way through the mains and, as the frame starts to look a little round, you realize you didn't tighten down the mounting.
I've witnessed a friend string a frame and tension a string around the mounting post, stringing it onto the machine!

The worst I've seen was someone mounting the frame one grommet off (diagonally). The weirdest part was the centering red dot (at the tip) was off center! He was going by the guide dot and didn't check! (for reference, it was a paint jobbed 6.1 classic stretch (euro version) at a big tournament)!

The worst "bad day" event that happened to me was stringing a super easy frame (wilson n6.1 16x18) with NXT and I misweaved on a cross and didn't notice (this rarely, rarely happens to me). I didn't have a replacement set, and it was at the national indoors tournament (D1). I had strung a full day's worth of full poly in dense patterns, etc, and then I made a really dumb mistake on a really, really easy racquet :(

SteveI
02-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Great thread... keep those stories coming!

scotus
02-11-2009, 11:07 AM
If you can tip the machine over, that must mean that the stand is not stable enough, right?

How do you make sure that the machine you buy comes with a very stable stand? Or is it wise to just get a table-top?

BumperJeep
02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
25. You finished string the racket 3 am in the morning. After close examination, you notice your string job is wrong, so you proceed to cut the string to redo the whole thing again. After the string is cut, further examination concluded that your previous examination was wrong...

Ahhhh. Thats awful

Vermillion
02-11-2009, 11:32 AM
never mind, don't want my customers to see what i wrote

Deano
02-11-2009, 05:50 PM

:oops: Been there, done that!

sk8ing
02-11-2009, 07:09 PM
your trying to snip the twist-tie of your set of natural gut and the tie flyes of and hits you in the eye. then u look down and you also snipped you fresh set of gut in half...

deltad
02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
you almost finish stringing your cross and realized, hmmm this is really hard string to weave and realized you just switched the string.

you tied off for the first time and think to yourself, hmmm I don't think I need to double knot and right after you take it off the machine, it snap lose.

Those are my only two stupid mistakes in my 7 years of stringing. never again!

SchreckTennis
02-12-2009, 12:03 AM
-You're stringing your racquet with a poly main...and it snaps at 60 lbs. so, you try again with another half-set of poly at 58 lbs. and it snaps again. Confused, you search for bad grommets to find none, so string with PSGD 17. And everything goes fine. Now, you're afraid of stringing that particular racquet with anything more expensive than PSGD :cry:

-You ask someone else to string your racquet for a match the next day and he strings the mains, but leaves it at that and heads to bed. You are woken up in the morning by a phone call that says your frame is warped on your Prince Speedport 03 Red :(

-You end up tangling your string four times on the same hole whilst trying to pull it through the third main...

-You're given two racquets to string and end up mixing up which string went to which racquet- and now you have to restring both at your own expense.

-You're stringing on a two-point table-top stringer that sits a little under waist height and you pull around the racquet quickly to tension the string and end up whacking yourself in the privates with the racquet handle, then hit your head against the machine itself after you suddenly bend over in pain...

SoCal10s
02-12-2009, 01:31 AM
poking the awl into the tie off hole trying to get a bit more space to slip the string through for the tie off, then twwwangk ,:twisted: you just broke the mainstring.. :( stringing multiple rackets and after finishing up in a hurry you look down at the tension adjuster,= you forgot to change the tension for the last racket :oops:... after stringing you do stencil job after everything is done you look at the racket and you painted the stencil crooked ...$h!#

Rorsach
02-12-2009, 01:33 AM
You're happily stringing along when all of sudden you smell some plastic burning, only to look down and realize you left your cigarette on the ashtray that sitting on the tray of your stringer, and that the cigarette is burning through the string you're working with right at that moment.

Bud
02-12-2009, 03:17 AM
1. You're stringing with a dropweight on a glass coffee table... the natural gut you're tensioning snaps and the weight freefalls, shattering the glass top... which then severs your femoral artery :lol:

2. You're pulling/tightening a natural gut knot on the last cross... the string then breaks at the knot while tightening and your thumbnail slams into the metal support post. Your fingernail gradually turns black over the course of 6 months and FINALLY falls off... Oh, and you're out a half set of gut and the time to restring the crosses :mad:

3. You're stringing a racquet and assume the manufacturer placed the little painted 'dot' between the middle two mains at 12 o'clock... only to find out after finishing half the mains... the dot was in the wrong location and half your mains are completely incorrect! :-?

** 2 and 3 actually happened to me... <---

*** I have/had visions of number 1 occurring so I always place something beneath the weight just in case the string snaps. I've had string snap twice and the small cardboard box saved my glass coffee table top (and possibly my femoral artery) ;-)

hellojeffo
02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Why don't ya just put your dropweight machine on a wooden table or something buddy?! HAHAHA

I had number 2 happen to me... I thought I was the only one with a paint-jobbed thumb nail...

vandre
02-12-2009, 08:49 AM
...when you're doing one piece stringing and just as you're about to finish the last row you've discovered you didn't just yourself enough string to pull let alone tie off (yeah, i'll admit it. i did this!!! it made me crazy!!! :mad:)

Deano
02-12-2009, 09:57 AM
-You're stringing on a two-point table-top stringer that sits a little under waist height and you pull around the racquet quickly to tension the string and end up whacking yourself in the privates with the racquet handle, then hit your head against the machine itself after you suddenly bend over in pain...

Ouch, that's got to hurt! :lol::lol::lol: Sounds just like me.

sk8ing
02-12-2009, 02:49 PM
when your calibrating a crank machine for the first time and don't realize what will happen when you release the lock and when you do BAM the handle comes around and totaly breaks your balls

(happened to it hurt soo much)

orangeblood
02-12-2009, 03:09 PM

Dude, I would love to be Safin's stringer. The amount of business to be gained on the sheer amount of broken racquets that need to be replaced and restrung is no doubt a great source of income. He would be an awesome customer.

Floridafan34
02-12-2009, 07:51 PM
:oops: Been there, done that!

same here.

BigGriff
02-12-2009, 10:36 PM

Hilarious!!!

If you messed up his sticks, standby for a beat down lol!

lawlitssoo1n
02-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Dude, I would love to be Safin's stringer. The amount of business to be gained on the sheer amount of broken racquets that need to be replaced and restrung is no doubt a great source of income. He would be an awesome customer.

lol from looking at safin's attitude, one mess up is death. he'll break ur face with a racket and then break that racket

t0nym4c
02-12-2009, 11:57 PM
34. When you tie the last knot and notice that you tied it correctly so you undo the knot with your needle nose pilers, but when you retie the knot the string snaps and you have to do the crosses over. This happened to me twice. I felt like killing someone!

Navy Gator
02-13-2009, 07:23 AM
35. You are used setting your beer close to the table top stringer because the racquet handle clears it every time. Then you pop a Sweetwater 420 that is just slightly taller than you usual brew and it goes flying all over the place the first time you swivel the racquet.

zapvor
02-13-2009, 09:39 AM
oh my god some of these are real bad. i am glad it didnt happen to me

saram
02-13-2009, 10:04 AM

You are in a three day tournament playing three events. Your Friday night singles match goes 2.5 hours with rackets you can't stand the tension of and you restring your sticks that night.

Your Saturday match at 7:45am goes 3hrs 47mins for two sets and a 10 point TB which you finally win 20-18 but you break strings in two sticks during that match.

You play two doubles and one mixed match and finally head home with over 10 hours on the courts in less than 24 hours in 100 degree heat to string your sticks up for Sunday's final in doubles.

And as you leave, 8 people hand you sticks to string for them prior to their 7:45am matches.

Near heat stroke status, depleted, exhausted, and cramping--you head home to string up 10 sticks by 6am the following day...

I am still recovering from that :)

zapvor
02-13-2009, 10:15 AM
wow. why did you agree to string? or are you the tournment stringer?

saram
02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
wow. why did you agree to string? or are you the tournment stringer?

I agreed to do it for them. There are only two people here that string in a town of about 30K. The university strings sticks--but they charge twice what I do in labor. I'll be the tournament stringer this year--but am only playing in one event this year.

zapvor
02-13-2009, 10:28 AM
thats very nice of you. i would probably said no.

saram
02-13-2009, 10:37 AM
thats very nice of you. i would probably said no.

Hindsight being 20/20...I'd say "NO!"

ryangoring
02-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Mutual POwer baby! It is cheap and works!

ryangoring
02-13-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm a novice to stringing, but when I strung my first racket it took about 12hrs to complete!
then to realize that I miss weaved from the 3rd hole on the crosses all the way down and tied off. It played like @#$%

ryangoring
02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
You got a bad case of the mud butts! :)

Vermillion
02-13-2009, 09:08 PM
you're at the last cross and sees that you skipped the wrong mains. thanks for making grommets looks so similar babolat.

t0nym4c
02-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Dam those babolats!

Vermillion
02-14-2009, 05:26 AM
yar pure storms can suck it ;)

diredesire
02-14-2009, 02:43 PM
you're at the last cross and sees that you skipped the wrong mains. thanks for making grommets looks so similar babolat.

i almost did the same thing on the first pure controls i strung, the last mains look very far apart. you have to be careful and think about them before proceding

zacinnc78
02-14-2009, 06:35 PM
when u look up prince 03 hybrid tour stringing instructions on prince.com and it says nothing about the boomerang tool,then u realize you need one midway into stringjob and you are using a klippermate

good thing for having somebody around to help you string the dang thing

Mansewerz
02-14-2009, 06:38 PM
when u look up prince 03 hybrid tour stringing instructions on prince.com and it says nothing about the boomerang tool,then u realize you need one midway into stringjob and you are using a klippermate

good thing for having somebody around to help you string the dang thing

What about the brake pin?

mikeler
02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Or use a part of your body to get a mostly straight pull on the string.

khw72004
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
You wake up to string a racket and your stringer is missing

x5150
02-19-2009, 01:19 PM
you go to cut off the excess string on the crosses and you nick a cross and snap!

Radical Shot
02-19-2009, 03:01 PM
You can't remember whether your client said, "Gut in the mains - poly in the crosses....or poly in the mains and gut in the crosses"

...then you start to question whether you remembered the respective tensions right!!??!

Nellie
02-20-2009, 09:19 AM
when I was supposed to string a gut crosses at 60 and the poly mains 54 lbs, but reversed the tensions. I love buying someone free string...

SaunderS
02-20-2009, 09:59 AM
You feel in a good mood because you're picking up your newly strung racket, but get there and find out that they've used you for advertising by putting their crappy logo on your strings.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2usfz89.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/s2wsag.jpg

cujays
02-20-2009, 07:52 PM
what does that say??

Steve Huff
02-20-2009, 08:34 PM
A customer brings in 6 Head rackets with CAP grommets and wants Luxilon 5Star in the mains (15L) and 15L natural gut in the crosses.

BigGriff
02-21-2009, 12:41 AM
...my wife's new puppy decides to chew up 3 packs of Babolat VS natural gut. :evil:

My wife thought it was cute I wanted to back over her new dog with my SUV and choke her with the ruined gut! :twisted:

BigGriff
02-21-2009, 12:43 AM
You feel in a good mood because you're picking up your newly strung racket, but get there and find out that they've used you for advertising by putting their crappy logo on your strings.

That looks like a drunk tried to stencil your racquet. I think a 6 year old can do a better with some crayons or markers! :shock:

Expired
02-21-2009, 10:46 AM
This makes me never want to string.. But I also don't want to pay someone to string for me.. :/

eeytennis
02-22-2009, 09:36 AM

There are whole lot of ugly logos out there!! I string my own rackets now, but I have seen some logos on some other rackets that are hideous and completely unnecessary.

eeytennis
02-22-2009, 09:37 AM
...my wife's new puppy decides to chew up 3 packs of Babolat VS natural gut. :evil:

My wife thought it was cute I wanted to back over her new dog with my SUV and choke her with the ruined gut! :twisted:

Two words...THAT SUCKS!

saram
02-22-2009, 09:50 AM

Please tell me you hit with that stick prior to taking the pics because those strings are all over the place! No one should deliver a stick to a customer with strings bending all over the place (or that crappy logo).

Pro Staff Pete
03-17-2009, 10:40 AM
After you've just woven the first cross string and you turn the racquet.. you see.. this..

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5481/dsc01446edi.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7789/dsc01447p.jpg

SaunderS
03-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Please tell me you hit with that stick prior to taking the pics because those strings are all over the place! No one should deliver a stick to a customer with strings bending all over the place (or that crappy logo).

dont worry, there's a good few months use before that pic was taken

Tombhoneb
03-17-2009, 10:58 AM
^^^^ haha nicely done !!

vwfye
03-17-2009, 11:00 AM
you string along on a speedport silver and realize after you've started that your stringer doesn't have a brake! luckily, you are an inventive sort and wedge a wood shiv into the pivot and it holds to do the tension. then you realize you can't get the shiv back out and now you have to disassemble everything to get it out.

vandre
03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
After you've just woven the first cross string and you turn the racquet.. you see.. this..

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5481/dsc01446edi.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7789/dsc01447p.jpg

yeah man, i've done that before but i've always caught it before i tensioned.

YULitle
03-17-2009, 11:08 AM
At least you didn't finish it like that. Imagine the strife of thinking your finished and not being able to detach the racquet from the machine. :/

hoodjem
03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Ho Ho ho, hah ha ha.

"Honey, my racquet is tied down to the stringing machine!":-?

jamauss
03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Someone brings in their racquet and it's a

"Wilson Sledge Hammer - 'THE LIMITS' "

If anyone has strung this 135" monster they know what I'm talking about. 18x21 string pattern - and it can be done with 40 ft of string but only if you're VERY good at measuring out your string and don't waste more than a couple inches of it with the mains.

jmverdugo
03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
When you just did your mains and both flying clamps broke down, I had to use all my imagination to finish the stringjob since both my rackets were without string. Hopefully my metal eagnas flying clamps will arrive soon, btw, not thanks what so ever to the great tracking system of th USPS, man that thing really sucks...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/jmverdugo/CIMG3926.jpg

Tried to fix them but it was worthless..

mucat
03-17-2009, 11:52 AM
After finished and examining the job, you notice you skipped the wrong hole, so you go ahead to cut the string and redo the job.
After you cut the string, you reexamining the string and you found out the previous conclusion was wrong. You actually did a perfect job. But the string is already cut, you have to redo it again!!! :mad:

william
03-17-2009, 01:43 PM

If anyone has strung this 135" monster they know what I'm talking about. 18x21 string pattern - and it can be done with 40 ft of string but only if you're VERY good at measuring out your string and don't waste more than a couple inches of it with the mains.

Yeah I was given that to do but my machine wasn't quite big enough!! Quite glad it wasn't now!!

BigServer1
03-17-2009, 03:19 PM

That's when that Wilson Oversize string (45' sets) comes in handy...That damn frame and the big bubba...

A lot of E-Force racquetball frames are the same way, they require 42-44' of string. Luckily the E-Force branded string comes in 45' sets.

To Steve Huff: There is not a worse fate than getting multiples of a Head Prestige (especially the mids) to be strung with poly...Full Alu Rough in those bad boys is a bad day for the hands.

no_dark_things
03-17-2009, 10:00 PM
You string Mark Philippoussis racquet after one too many vicodins (I just had surgery) on an empty stomach. Fortunately it was for that underwater commercial and my crappy string job was never discovered.

mikeler
03-18-2009, 05:31 AM
You realize on the 2nd to last cross that you put the main through the cross hole and not where it belonged in the main hole. Luckily, it is my own racket so I'll probably just play with it.

Bud
03-18-2009, 05:42 AM
At least you didn't finish it like that. Imagine the strife of thinking your finished and not being able to detach the racquet from the machine. :/

Now... THAT would constitute a bad stringing day!

Bud
03-18-2009, 05:46 AM
When you just did your mains and both flying clamps broke down, I had to use all my imagination to finish the stringjob since both my rackets were without string. Hopefully my metal eagnas flying clamps will arrive soon, btw, not thanks what so ever to the great tracking system of th USPS, man that thing really sucks...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/jmverdugo/CIMG3926.jpg

Tried to fix them but it was worthless..

Are those ATS clamps? What caused them to break like that? Did you have them adjusted so tightly that you REALLY had to squeeze to close them? I notice that even in the 'open' position... they appear closed.

Were they under warranty?

jmverdugo
03-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Are those ATS clamps? What caused them to break like that? Did you have them adjusted so tightly that you REALLY had to squeeze to close them? I notice that even in the 'open' position... they appear closed.

Were they under warranty?

Those are Gamma, i think they just broke due to use, I have them for almost 3 years, I string something like 10 rackets per week, sometimes more depending on the season.

Navy Gator
03-29-2009, 01:56 PM
You're having a bad day stringing when you have to cut out a perfectly good string job. I tried my normal strings (Tecn XR3 at 57#) in one of my Speedport blacks with the String Hole Inserts instead of my normal String Port Insert and didn't like it at all. Tough to make that first cut in strings that only hit maybe fifty balls.

Had to try it.

sk8ing
03-29-2009, 06:35 PM

LOL my friend did that wen he strung his first racquet. poor boy (but still funny !)

Mansewerz
03-29-2009, 07:02 PM
That's when that Wilson Oversize string (45' sets) comes in handy...That damn frame and the big bubba...

A lot of E-Force racquetball frames are the same way, they require 42-44' of string. Luckily the E-Force branded string comes in 45' sets.

To Steve Huff: There is not a worse fate than getting multiples of a Head Prestige (especially the mids) to be strung with poly...Full Alu Rough in those bad boys is a bad day for the hands.

Did two of these not too long ago, back to back. Ironically, the ALU rough was easier than Big ace in an open pattern.

Also, you mistake your diagonal cutters for your starting clamp when you try to cinch up a not. Bye bye string job!

l_gonzalez
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM

I did that on the very 1st racquet i strung. I had no instructions or anything, just knew the basics. After about 2 hours, i'd finished my very first stringing job and I was sooo proud! I was like: "yeah! i didn't need to pay no fool £60 to teach me how to string, i can do this myself"

Then as i was dismounting the racquet: "... wait a minute, why is this thing not coming off? oh, WTF?! Damn it!"

WV_tennis22
03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
or, out of stupidity, you proceed to us the awl to widen the already strung main hole to tie off the final cross, and SNAPPPPP...let the curses fly

dupont
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM

shake hand. It happened to me once. :(

T1000
03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Your friend hands you a 18x20 frame with a 15g stiff poly and asks you to do it in an hour before an important doubles match

rxblitzrx
03-30-2009, 08:37 PM
you break three sets of Forten Sweet 17 while trying to string a friends racquet... i wonder if the strings were just really old and brittle. any case, i'm never experimenting with new strings again.

WV_tennis22
04-02-2009, 06:44 AM
So, no joke, JUST happened to me this morning. Seems im just rediculously clumsy when it comes to stringing these days. I was stringing up a demo here at my club that someone had busted the strings in. Freakin, I was talking to people coming off the court, not paying attn, and forgot to secure the slider on the throat clamp. I got halfway through the mains and the darn frame just snapped. Thank goodness it wasnt a paying customer

Radical Shot
04-05-2009, 11:16 PM
...you run out of Luxilon Ace which means everything else just aint going to do it for you.

armsty
04-06-2009, 04:16 AM
Next number - Stringing for people who like those dampeners that the string is fed through and need the have the strings cut to put them back in... ****

Radical Shot
04-06-2009, 05:19 AM
^^ Ha! Yes. The little shelf on my stringing machine has a few of these things on it where I forgot to string them into the job.

I usually just offer the person another string dampener is lieu, saying that "This sort is much better..."

DavaiMarat
04-06-2009, 08:36 AM
when your trying to jab your awl through a knot to untie it and it slips impaling your hand.

DavaiMarat
04-06-2009, 10:45 AM
When you have to pull the main strings out because you mis-measured and then realized they are in a prestige with CAP grommits.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

investorofmercy
04-07-2009, 07:33 AM
1. When I first started stringing, I had an awl with a burr on it. Broke 3 sets of mains before I realized it.

2. String a hybrid but thinking it wasn't. Since I don't like to string with 1 piece I cut the mains in half, thinking I was cutting to make the mains. I realized it after stringing 2/3rds of the mains.

diredesire
04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
When you have to pull the main strings out because you mis-measured and then realized they are in a prestige with CAP grommits.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I had a silent chuckle reading this one. I can actually picture someone falling to their knees and screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHYYYY?"

carguy
04-10-2009, 02:18 PM
ok here's one that hasn't been posted yet.

you string your nblade os and can't figure out why there are big gaps in the upper and lower crosses. you look up the string pattern and realize you used nblade 98npattern (skip 8m & 10m instead of 9m).

cujays
04-10-2009, 02:39 PM
your done stringing then look it over and realize use miss weaved

J011yroger
04-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Jolly needs his frames restrung for a tournament.

http://i39.tinypic.com/4lodxs.jpg

J

autumn_leaf
04-19-2009, 08:49 PM
^^ wow, that's like kiss my day good-bye, on the other-hand i also hear "ca-ching!!!" lol.

zidane339
04-19-2009, 09:00 PM
^^ wow, that's like kiss my day good-bye, on the other-hand i also hear "ca-ching!!!" lol.

My fingers are screaming at the thought of eight alu ruff frames..ahhhhhh!:)

J011yroger
04-19-2009, 09:13 PM
My fingers are screaming at the thought of eight alu ruff frames..ahhhhhh!:)

9 in the pic + 3 more in the bag that are almost ready to go.

Figure I will drop off 12 frames on Tuesday.

J

3lowdown
04-19-2009, 09:15 PM

J

i still dont understand why you have so many racquets, and break so many strings.

zidane339
04-19-2009, 09:18 PM

J

Dang it, I thought I learned to count to ten back in preschool.:)

Nice work J!

Radical Shot
04-20-2009, 12:04 AM
While you're at it, those overgrips look like they've paid their dues. Restring and regrip - only then are you truly ready for that tournament! ;-)

ichibanosaru
04-20-2009, 12:46 AM
One time when I lived in a house with a bunch of other guys I strung a racket, went to stencil the string bed, twisted off the stencil ink bottle cap and the applicator tip went with the cap and poured a bottle of red stencil ink on the racket with most of it landing on my lap. I ran to the bathroon to wash off but one of the roommates caught me on the way and thought I had blood all over my lower areas. Quite a scene and sort of hard to explain as he wasn't a tennis player let alone a stringer. 'Make sense? :?

origmarm
04-20-2009, 04:00 AM
J you get a discount? I can just see it now...

J: "How much for stringing?"
Stringer: "$10"
J: "Ok how much if I bring you 12 frames every two days?"
Stringer: "????"

l_gonzalez
04-20-2009, 04:12 AM
^^ Ha! Yes. The little shelf on my stringing machine has a few of these things on it where I forgot to string them into the job.

I usually just offer the person another string dampener is lieu, saying that "This sort is much better..."

I just put an elastic band on it and when i get a puzzled look from customer I just tell them: "It's good enough for Agassi, i'm sure it's good enough for you."

J011yroger
04-20-2009, 04:16 AM
J you get a discount? I can just see it now...

J: "How much for stringing?"
Stringer: "$10"
J: "Ok how much if I bring you 12 frames every two days?"
Stringer: "????"

Yea, I get a discount, but if I bring a lot of frames, I also drop off a 12 pack with them.

I find that beer is a good peace offering.

J

l_gonzalez
04-20-2009, 04:18 AM

J

Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you get out of a set of strings? That bat is not exactly a string breaker as far as I know...

J011yroger
04-20-2009, 04:22 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you get out of a set of strings? That bat is not exactly a string breaker as far as I know...

I have broken them inside of 2 hours drilling groundies, if I am playing matches or drilling different things they last longer.

Usually I get 1 singles match and 1 practice session out of a stringjob.

In the summer, or on clay I go through them faster.

J

origmarm
04-20-2009, 04:30 AM
Yea, I get a discount, but if I bring a lot of frames, I also drop off a 12 pack with them.

I find that beer is a good peace offering.

J

Dunno mate, I seem to remember they have some pretty strange stuff they call "beer" over there :)

Sounds like a good idea though, in your situation it's probably good to have the stringer onside

alice301
05-15-2009, 09:27 AM
you're learning how to string and because of your own ignorance you don't know:

to not learn on your brand new racquet
to not learn using gut
to not learn from someone who says, "it's funny that i'm teaching someone how to string," even if she is the stringer-in-residence at a tennis club
to not let that stringer-in-residence say, "well, if you want to finish the crosses tomorrow, that's fine. i've never taken the frame off the machine with only mains done, but i think that it'll be fine!"

Bubba
05-15-2009, 09:55 AM
i still dont understand why you have so many racquets, and break so many strings.

I think you just answered your own question.

Bubba
05-15-2009, 10:00 AM
# whatever...

you string your frames with VS Natural Gut then break the string on a miss-hit off a grommet.

SpinDog
05-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Someone demos a well used club racquet with shot strings, loves it, buys it, has you restring it and then complains that; “it doesn’t feel like it did when I demoed it”.

Caloi
05-15-2009, 12:17 PM
My second string job I was finishing up the crosses and realized I had 3 holes on one side and two holes on the other. I had missed my first cross at teh head and went from 8t to 9t. :banging head on wall:

I was a trooper though and unstrung all the crosses and redid it as a punishment to myself. I believe I had 3 hours into that string job. :oops:

GPB
05-15-2009, 12:52 PM
My second string job I was finishing up the crosses and realized I had 3 holes on one side and two holes on the other. I had missed my first cross at teh head and went from 8t to 9t. :banging head on wall:

I was a trooper though and unstrung all the crosses and redid it as a punishment to myself. I believe I had 3 hours into that string job. :oops:

I was trying stringing an 3-box ATW pattern (whatever you call it) and told myself "even if odd, odd if even," when doing the bottom crosses. Then I proceded to convince myself that it was a 16x19 pattern. Why, oh why, didn't I take the 3 seconds to look at the throat? I get to the VERY LAST CROSS and realize it's wrong. FML! I undid all of the long side and redid it correctly. :( This was my most recent string job, actually.

jim e
05-15-2009, 01:03 PM
you're learning how to string and because of your own ignorance you don't know:

to not learn on your brand new racquet
to not learn using gut
to not learn from someone who says, "it's funny that i'm teaching someone how to string," even if she is the stringer-in-residence at a tennis club
to not let that stringer-in-residence say, "well, if you want to finish the crosses tomorrow, that's fine. i've never taken the frame off the machine with only mains done, but i think that it'll be fine!"

Well Your 2nd one on your list, was not a bad day for me!

My 1st racquet I strung was all nat. gut, Victor Imperial. Was in 1968. The old timer that taught me was right there and instructed me through it, as I purchased one of his machines. It went perfect as well. He told me to start with that gut since it was my string I used back then, and my racquet.Once I was done, he told me I should be able to string with anything out there after that.Strung up a few of his customers racquets after that, and that was it, the rest I was on my own. You all have great resources today, with sites like this, along with the internet and the USRSA, as none of that was around back then.

autumn_leaf
05-16-2009, 09:24 PM
22. You're using a pathfinder awl and when you pull it out, all you're left holding is only the handle.

This just happened to me last week....the tubing part just got completely stuck...so it's just a reg. awl now...

also, just happened today:

you're half way through the mains and you can't get to the outside of the throat, you realize you started the mains bottom up when you should have done top down....

3lowdown
05-17-2009, 08:31 PM
I think you just answered your own question.

you misunderstood, i mean watching his videos i dont understand how he breaks so many strings. Nothing truly out of the ordinary.

daslosh247
05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
When I first learned to string it was on a hand crank machine and the guy didn't tell me that when you release the tension rod after clamping that the crank will pop back up...needless to say it caught me right in the twig and berries...he had a good laugh, I guess that's the initiation process because I did the same thing with another guy when I showed him on the same machine!

daslosh247
05-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Or you're tightening a knot with pliers and the string snaps and you punch yourself right in the face...far less serious than a hole cut in your cheek or wherever, but VERY embarassing in front of customers!

sk8ing
05-18-2009, 01:06 PM
when your pulling alu power through the grommets as hard as you can...which is also hard enuf to pull over your stringing machine breaking 4 of your toes and forcing you to default from the biggest match of your unfortunate life.

rasajadad
05-18-2009, 01:09 PM

It can't be done if your customer wants it strung at 17 pounds! My boss has three of these f*&^kers and wants them strung with natural gut! (His previous stringer skipped the top cross string in order to make it.)

SOY78
06-12-2009, 08:57 AM
When you are done with the mains and go cut off the access string from your knot when you touch the main as you cut the access sting with scissors unintentionly and have to start the mains over. :(

shogun90
06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
You are just about to do the last 2 weaves of the crosses and realize there is an extra hole to string. Look back and realize that you missed the first cross grommet.

Dgpsx7
06-12-2009, 10:27 AM
wow, these are all great additions. Both funny and depressing at the same time.

If you are are doing a two price string job is there any way to measure the string besides cutting a 40ft in half to make two 20s? How do you know if you need 19/21 or 21/19?

shogun90
06-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Sites like Klippermate usually have the specifications for the lengths of string you need. My Head MG Extreme Pro's need 20' mains and 17' crosses. These measurements leave minimal waste but enough to reach the tensioner.

Mansewerz
06-12-2009, 02:30 PM
A customer shows up with a reel of ALU power rough, and he decides to let both ends get lost within the reel :(

cemjc
06-13-2009, 05:59 AM
When you just cut the strings out of a racquet, only to realize it was in for a replacement grip, not a string job.

dantespark33
06-13-2009, 12:01 PM
when you are stringing poly, and the sharp end tip hits you right smack in the eye

and when you are done stringing the racket but you can't turn the knobs because you tightened them to fast

Mastadon_10S
06-14-2009, 05:14 AM

I had the pliers go into and through my lip and stick into my gum.... that was a fun trip to the ER in my brother's police car....

SOY78
06-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Bad day stringing is when a piece of poly that I just cut, pokes me in the eye and I can't see in my right eye for like 2 minutes because I can't open it without feeling like there is a bug in there :(

jmverdugo
06-30-2009, 12:19 PM
I had the pliers go into and through my lip and stick into my gum.... that was a fun trip to the ER in my brother's police car....

Happened to me too! but my brother doesnt have a police car ... well I did not go the ER anyways it wasnt that bad. My suggestion: Starting Clamps.

Virtua Tennis
06-30-2009, 12:44 PM

You know your day is shot when you have a stack of badminton racquets and racquetball racquets to string.

ilikephobo
06-30-2009, 05:31 PM
when the guide awl gets stuck in the grommet... forever!

when you spend an hour and a half stringing a racket, and at the last cross a string pops.

T1000
06-30-2009, 05:43 PM
you forget how to string (just happened to me. looked down at the stringer and just forgot everything

autumn_leaf
06-30-2009, 05:48 PM
when the guide awl gets stuck in the grommet... forever!

when you spend an hour and a half stringing a racket, and at the last cross a string pops.

both of these happened to me. i used the pliers to get the awl out...well part of it.

and when i first started string with apparently very snappable strings the tie off main popped on the last cross...

autumn_leaf
06-30-2009, 05:49 PM
also.

when you plan on stringing on a brand new stringer and found out the wrong one was delivered....

just got the replacement today. hoping it's the right one when i open the box in an hour or so.

autumn_leaf
08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
wow. i have the last three posts on this thread...that's not good...

this just...just happened to me.

forgot to lock the base on the fix clamp when pulling the last main. put the bar back up and saw all the mains start untensioning ='(

dadozen
05-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Boy, this is the funniest thread ever! Even more after I started stringing!

- when you're finishing the knots with the pliers and the string snaps, making you stab the pliers in your nose. The wound didn't disappear in less than 2 weeks. AND you have to redo all your job because the string left isn't enough to properly finish the knot

Maroon_Tenniskid
05-20-2011, 12:48 PM

this has happened to me...

Uncle Tony
05-20-2011, 04:56 PM
# whatever...

you string your frames with VS Natural Gut then break the string on a miss-hit off a grommet.

..Even worse is when you just finish stringing with VS Gut, take it to the court, and a hack friend says something like "Hey cool, natural gut - can I try?" You tentatively give him the racquet and then your worst nightmare comes true. Big shank off of the forehand and SNAP!

fortun8son
05-20-2011, 11:26 PM
* You run out of beer half-way through a stringing job
Done that. Good thing I live in Vegas!

flashfire276
05-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Well, no more number method?

Stringing a Prestige or any CAP racquet with a rough poly...

fortun8son
05-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Are we at #60?
61.Your dog runs through the room as you are uncoiling a set with severe coil memory. 45min and much cussing later you are ready to start.
62. Same dog decides that your tube of stencil ink makes a good chew toy. Stain is still there a year later. So is the dog.

alidisperanza
05-22-2011, 04:17 PM
HAHAH This thread is fantastic!

Your cat decides to use your nicely coiled VS as a swat-toy. After delicately untangling what looks like a bird's nest built on acid you find out that she likes the taste of natural gut >.<

nalvarado
05-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Third stringjob, attempt to use that god awful pathfinder awl to get the cross tie off through in a prestige tour, broke the main, threw the awl stuck into the wall, bent the awl. I was at 45 minutes for the job too.

Radical Shot
05-22-2011, 09:41 PM
63. When you don't want to touch the grip on the racquet for fear of catching a loathsome disease.

esgee48
05-22-2011, 10:14 PM
I understand 'gross' completely. Keep a box of latex gloves handy and wrap the handle in a plastic bag to avoid touching 'that glowing green stuff.' Here's where handiwipes come in very handy.

When the guy is coughing/sneezing into his hand and then uses that same hand to pass you the racquet!

diredesire
05-23-2011, 09:01 AM
#64: Things are going well, you're jammin' out to music on your iPod while stringing. You finish up in record time and then... you realize you strung your headphones to the frame... after tying off. Do you cut the string, or the headphone cable?

(this never actually happened to me, but I read someone else did this, LOL)

Rabbit
05-23-2011, 09:07 AM
an errant strand of poly nearly puts your eye out as you look into the bowels of a frame for a grommet hole....

I've had a couple of near misses.

goober
05-23-2011, 09:32 AM
#65 You are near the end of your string job on a dropweight and have the arm perfectly horizontal. Your little kid comes in, you turn around for a split second to do something and your kid sees a lever and does what is natural and pulls it... SNAP!!!

flashfire276
05-23-2011, 11:00 AM
#64: Things are going well, you're jammin' out to music on your iPod while stringing. You finish up in record time and then... you realize you strung your headphones to the frame... after tying off. Do you cut the string, or the headphone cable?

This is EPIC!!
I'd love to hear if this ever actually happened!

flashfire276
05-23-2011, 11:01 AM
When you string Dunlop Black Widow, and your fingers get scraped like crazy.

Maroon_Tenniskid
05-23-2011, 12:26 PM
67. When you accidentally move the wrong clamp on when the dropweight is even and the weight falls and hits the granite coffee table that you have the machine on.

and

68. when you tie off the last main and discover that it was strung through a cross hole and not through the appropriate main hole. Then on the second attempt, you make the same mistake... The pro, because me and my dad were trying to string the racket as a team, and I blamed him and got 2 sets of natural gut as repayment.

dadozen
05-23-2011, 01:26 PM

68. when you tie off the last main and discover that it was strung through a cross hole and not through the appropriate main hole. Then on the second attempt, you make the same mistake... The pro, because me and my dad were trying to string the racket as a team, and I blamed him and got 2 sets of natural gut as repayment.

Shame on you! :D

The Bawss
05-23-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm not adding anything to this thread as I don;t string. But assuming a good deal of you are stringers, I was wondering what the correct etiquette was for bringing a racket in for a restring? I have always removed the old strings first, but I know someone who always leaves either the broken or dead stringbed in when he hands the racket in.

Austinthecity
05-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Yup. You read it in this thread. It's on page 2.

scotus
05-23-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm not adding anything to this thread as I don;t string. But assuming a good deal of you are stringers, I was wondering what the correct etiquette was for bringing a racket in for a restring? I have always removed the old strings first, but I know someone who always leaves either the broken or dead stringbed in when he hands the racket in.

Either is fine.

It is part of the stringer's job to remove the old string.

Those who cut the strings out before bringing them in do so, only to protect their racquets from undue stress. It has nothing to do with etiquette.

But of course, I don't presume to know the French etiquette when it comes to bringing racquets in for a stringing job.

diredesire
05-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Yup. You read it in this thread. It's on page 2.

Hmm, looks like my short term memory has failed me. I did a glance through the thread, but didn't want to read all the posts. Thanks :)

dadozen
05-24-2011, 05:00 AM
#65 You are near the end of your string job on a dropweight and have the arm perfectly horizontal. Your little kid comes in, you turn around for a split second to do something and your kid sees a lever and does what is natural and pulls it... SNAP!!!

OUCH! Boy, I can't even imagine what I'd do......:lol:

MambaT
05-24-2011, 06:46 AM
69. You have too much slack when tying a knot, you pull forward to "rock" the knot and the knot pops in between the tie off main and the last cross and ends up a square away from the grommet...

I don't know how it happened... I just know that it did... once...

jkang909
05-24-2011, 07:48 PM
70. when you die

BagelMe
05-25-2011, 07:19 AM
71. When a set of babolat strings explodes in your face and it takes 30 minutes to uncoil it.

beernutz
05-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Outrageous would be $300. $30 is money well spent.

#. You cut the string out of a really old racquet then realize you can't find the string pattern listed online or in any reference book.

diredesire
05-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Outrageous would be $300. $30 is money well spent.

#. You cut the string out of a really old racquet then realize you can't find the string pattern listed online or in any reference book.

$30 is a bargain for the usefulness of the tool, agreed. Spend the extra and get a good one (RAB/Alpha/Babolat) and you'll have a tool you will swear by for the rest of your stringing life. In a few years, that $30 will be long forgotten, and you'll have a dependable tool by your side. I'm a big supporter of having good tools, they make life easier.

Regarding above: Unless the string pattern has shared holes or is really funky (T2000, or something like that), should be OK by paying careful attention to the way the grommets are bent.

beernutz
05-25-2011, 10:32 AM
$30 is a bargain for the usefulness of the tool, agreed. Spend the extra and get a good one (RAB/Alpha/Babolat) and you'll have a tool you will swear by for the rest of your stringing life. In a few years, that $30 will be long forgotten, and you'll have a dependable tool by your side. I'm a big supporter of having good tools, they make life easier.

Regarding above: Unless the string pattern has shared holes or is really funky (T2000, or something like that), should be OK by paying careful attention to the way the grommets are bent.
Yes, that's what I did eventually. This happened with some old Walmart-purchased Wilson racquet that had been unused in our house for years which I decided to restring and leave at a beach condo. I cut out the string and then could not find the string pattern anywhere. I eventually restrung it using the grommet wear as guides. Its not like any important matches are going to be played with it anyway--its just something for the little kids to use on the other court while their parents play a cutthroat, loser-leave-town match on the "center" court.

dadozen
05-25-2011, 10:33 AM
My Babolat starting clamp is about to be delivered.

Paid a small fortune for it, but I'm guessing it will be very useful. At first I thought it wasn't necessary, but having one seems to make the stringing process much easier.

And, as DireDesire says, it will probably last very long. If that's the case, then it's money well spent.

ssonosk
05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
man this thread makes me want to not try to string my own racquets :o

MonkeyTennis
05-25-2011, 10:00 PM
72. When your portable stringer isn't sercured and the whole doohickey lands on your foot.

wolfinsignia
05-25-2011, 10:13 PM
stringing is so easy i don't get how people mess up.
well this didn;t happen to me but a cuz.
73. when your friends makes you string a racquet thats cracks and your stringer breaks and the racket breaks and ricochets and breaks your 50 inch plasma tv and the tv that mounted falls off and breaks your game systems, computer and all his games. well in the process he lost about 15 gran worth of stuff. now he strings in his basement.

MonkeyTennis
05-25-2011, 10:19 PM
73. when your friends makes you string a racquet thats cracks and your stringer breaks and the racket breaks and ricochets and breaks your 50 inch plasma tv and the tv that mounted falls off and breaks your game systems, computer and all his games. well in the process he lost about 15 gran worth of stuff. now he strings in his basement.

What a nice tennis "SMASH" (Bad Pun :P)

Readers
05-25-2011, 11:03 PM

Easy, depends it's stock ipod ear bud... or HE90 :neutral:

dadozen
05-26-2011, 04:53 AM

If it's the stock ear bud, definitely cut the headphones. If it's a Ultimate Ears, Denon or anything else, definitely cut the strings!!!!!

ssonosk
05-26-2011, 09:36 AM

looooool man that's karma :o

he must have been up to no good ;)

diredesire
05-26-2011, 09:43 AM

I'd be pretty impressed to find someone that owns HE90s and strings for themselves. (I'm implying they're rich enough to get someone else to string for them ;))

If it's the stock ear bud, definitely cut the headphones. If it's a Ultimate Ears, Denon or anything else, definitely cut the strings!!!!!
Yep, it also depends on the strings, too... I just tend to route my headphones inside my shirt :)

nalvarado
05-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Hell I'd even cut the strings for a pair of ad700s

jersey34tennis
05-26-2011, 05:12 PM
you just put a new bumperguard on a liquidmetal prestige mid, string the mains with lux alu rough and the crosses with gut and the gut breaks while tensions on a gamma els ! wanted to tip it over through the big glass window onto the court below and walk away...

Leafitachi
05-26-2011, 07:08 PM
man this thread makes me want to not try to string my own racquets :o i just bought a stringer, been doing careful researching via forum and vids to not mess up horribly my first time, this thread gives me the nerves to start now :(

Spin-A-Lot
05-26-2011, 07:44 PM
i just bought a stringer, been doing careful researching via forum and vids to not mess up horribly my first time, this thread gives me the nerves to start now :(

Don't worry too much about it..everyone makes mistakes when they do it the first time..mine was mis-weaving a cross and not realizing it until I finished! And it took me @ 3 hours to do my first racquet :) It gets easier, trust me ;)

I suggest practicing on an old racquet with some cheap synthetic gut for your first time..poly is hell to practice with!

fortun8son
05-26-2011, 11:55 PM
My first racquet ever? I was so proud of myself! Perfect! When I cut the cross knot to finish? I cut through the main and had to start over!

Angle Queen
02-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Bump.

I was researching threads about how to recognize a bad string job and ran across this one.

Read through and laughed and nearly cried...and gained a whole lot of sympathy and respect for stringers. I'm convinced our club pro does not charge enough. I'm not sure what his arrangement with the club is, but I'll be sure to add a few more (in cash) when I take it in to him next. I don't care where my dear hubs buys string from next time, I'm not letting that BigBox store touch my racket again.

As a engineer/geeky kinda gal, it's something I wouldn't mind take a stab at myself...but I gotta let the kiddies grow up just a bit so I'd have a bit more uninterrupted time to learn (and do).

Out of curiosity, and say on a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is it to string my racquet? It's a Wilson nCode n5 98 with Wilson Sensation 16. Please be honest but the harder it is, the more "tip" I'm inclined to fork over. :)

Larrysümmers
02-12-2012, 06:09 PM
^to be truthful, its about a 1. lol nothing special about the racket, and sensation is a breeze to string.

Funbun
02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
For me, any day I have to string is a bad day in general.

The latest stringjob, I took 1 hour to string a racquet, and an additional 2 hours trying to tie a correct finishing knot after it had been cut short. Only after I cut the string did I realize I made a weak, terrible knot at the end of the crosses.

stewfoo412
02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
when youre stringing a gut hybrid and you tie off the last cross and trim it before tensioning it. :(

mikeler
02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Bump.

I was researching threads about how to recognize a bad string job and ran across this one.

Read through and laughed and nearly cried...and gained a whole lot of sympathy and respect for stringers. I'm convinced our club pro does not charge enough. I'm not sure what his arrangement with the club is, but I'll be sure to add a few more (in cash) when I take it in to him next. I don't care where my dear hubs buys string from next time, I'm not letting that BigBox store touch my racket again.

As a engineer/geeky kinda gal, it's something I wouldn't mind take a stab at myself...but I gotta let the kiddies grow up just a bit so I'd have a bit more uninterrupted time to learn (and do).

Out of curiosity, and say on a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is it to string my racquet? It's a Wilson nCode n5 98 with Wilson Sensation 16. Please be honest but the harder it is, the more "tip" I'm inclined to fork over. :)

If you have completed an engineering degree, you'll do fine stringing your own. It takes practice to get good like many things in life. Take care of the little ones and when you have more time consider it. I am an engineer with a 3 year old. I string when he goes to bed or takes naps on weekends.

chrisberchris
02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
74. When your buddy who is stringing your racquet, breaks the strings on the last tie, ruining an entire set of Luxilon BB Rough..

mixedmedia
02-12-2012, 08:43 PM
75. When your buddy is stringing your racquet.

Larrysümmers
02-12-2012, 08:46 PM

LMFAO hahhah. :)

mixedmedia
02-12-2012, 08:47 PM
:-) I thought it'd get a little rise.

diredesire
02-13-2012, 12:10 AM
71. When a set of babolat strings explodes in your face and it takes 30 minutes to uncoil it.

Looks like I missed this... Have you seen this AWESOME vid on youtube? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pMaFWHmuFc&feature=email&email=comment_received

mixedmedia
02-13-2012, 05:17 AM
Haha, nice video.

Angle Queen
02-13-2012, 06:02 AM
^to be truthful, its about a 1. lol nothing special about the racket, and sensation is a breeze to string.Thanks, Larry. I'd kind of thought it might be an uncomplicated endeavor. Racquet & string set-up is kinda like me, Plain Jane. I try not to be a difficult customer -- have never asked for a rush job, plan well in advance of the rare tournament I'm in, provide my own strings so he doesn't have to order them or keep them in stock, thank him for a job well-done and provide good word-of-mouth recommendations. Still, having seen the hack job the BigBox did (I really should have taken a pic of the string bed before I straightened out the mains/crosses -- I swear it looked like someone hit with it...), I never really knew how good I had it.

If you have completed an engineering degree, you'll do fine stringing your own. It takes practice to get good like many things in life. Take care of the little ones and when you have more time consider it. I am an engineer with a 3 year old. I string when he goes to bed or takes naps on weekends.Civil Engineer and string crafter (mostly Christmas ornaments...but you wouldn't believe how difficult some of those directions are worded!). So I don't really doubt I'd have too much trouble. But it just doesn't make a lot of economic sense for me. I don't break strings nor do I experiment very much (but I might if could string myself...don't know if it'd be a chicken/egg kind of thing) and only have my pair of racquets strung twice a year each...just because. I rather enjoy the tension of a new job but warm nicely to the racquet as they loosen up a bit. So it's really more of a Bucket List thing rather than something pressing.

As for the kiddies, mine are just out of "nap" stage (3 & 5) and after a long day with them, I'm beat. And hubs deserves some of my time too. Although maybe I could talk him into hanging out in the garage me stringing and him reloading his ammo. LOL

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Sorry for the thread hijack.

goober
02-13-2012, 06:13 AM
Bump.

Most professional stringers can string a racquet in 15-20 minutes. Stringing a Ncode Wilson N5 with sensation is an easy job for them (1 on scale of 1-10), not worthy of a tip IMO unless of course you want to...

Well I had 3 young kids when I learned to string. It is not some huge time investment. Read the manual, watch some online videos and do a practice jobs on an old racquet and you are good to go. Your first string job may take 1-2 hours, but after you do it a couple times you can cut down on the time by half easily.

pvaudio
02-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Just a warning though: as an engineer, you're more likely to suffer from USD, or uncontrollable stringer's disease. Its main symptoms manifest about a month after becoming comfortable stringing a racquet. You will progress from leaving your strings in the racquet until breakage to cutting them out to restring. The latter stages will involve the above, but having 15 different types of string on hand at any given time to test. The final stage begins when others ask for you to string for them, so you start to rationalize your insatiable need to learn about and then buy all new strings on the market because you're an engineer. You heard it here first!

chrisberchris
02-13-2012, 08:39 AM

bahahaha! Yes, that should be #75 hahaha

mikeler
02-13-2012, 12:12 PM
PVAudio speaks the truth.

hebrewhammer
02-13-2012, 01:14 PM
If I may...
76. When you decide to use year old Gaucho Gut that came in a ziplock bag.

Steve Huff
02-13-2012, 01:43 PM
You mount the racket, then decide to pre-stretch the gut. You use one of you clamps to clamp one end of the gut. You back up, start to pull, but can't get to your machine fast enough as it falls due to your pulling to hard. It lands on, and breaks, the brand new racket that you just mounted. The racket belongs to your boss. B a d day indeed.

SOY78
02-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Just a warning though: as an engineer, you're more likely to suffer from USD, or uncontrollable stringer's disease. Its main symptoms manifest about a month after becoming comfortable stringing a racquet. You will progress from leaving your strings in the racquet until breakage to cutting them out to restring. The latter stages will involve the above, but having 15 different types of string on hand at any given time to test. The final stage begins when others ask for you to string for them, so you start to rationalize your insatiable need to learn about and then buy all new strings on the market because you're an engineer. You heard it here first!

I am an engineer and a stringer and I am guilty of all these things that are mentioned by pvaudio. Not any two of my racquets are strung with the same string, none of them.

zapvor
02-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Bump.

AQ! you can totally do it! it's really a matter of patience in the beginning. nothing like rocket science. the key is following all the details because one small thing can ripple effect

zapvor
02-14-2012, 01:44 AM

lol so true. i dont let anyone string my racket.

Uvijek Argen
02-20-2012, 08:29 PM
This wasn't stringing but happen 10 minutes ago trimming the fraying of my full bed Wilson natural gut with a nail clipper and cut the string by accident. :evil::evil::evil::evil:

Lesson learn ...I will never do that again!!

mixedmedia
02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh, man, that's awful! Just curious, why would you try to trim the fraying?

pvaudio
02-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Oh, man, that's awful! Just curious, why would you try to trim the fraying?When playing full NRG2, I was 100% guilty of doing this at times. I cannot tell you or rationalize why :)

Uvijek Argen
02-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Oh, man, that's awful! Just curious, why would you try to trim the fraying?

No reason why..completely and absolutely stupidity from my side. :oops:

Just one of those things...just watching tv and said to myself..."let me do this"...WRONG!!:evil:

mixedmedia
02-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Haha, I can understand having the urge though. When I was younger and starting tennis, the flimsy grommet on my first racquet (a Prince, which I was not kind to) started to look pretty nasty, so I tried to basically cut it all off, and the strings ended up breaking...

mixedmedia
02-20-2012, 10:19 PM
I love messing with my racquets off the court too. Maybe that's why I use white grips:I get to change them more often because of the discoloration.

Radical Shot
01-02-2014, 11:03 PM
You're having a bad day stringing when....

You spend all day stringing racquets for other people, and then go and play and realize that none of your racquets have decent strings in them and you hit the back fence on the full....

wmilas
01-06-2014, 05:21 PM
The engineering thing is so true. I figured I'd buy a machine to save some money. 3 of my kids, my wife and I play. I break strings every 90 minutes practicing groundies. I can get a singles and an 1 hour practice session (hopefully) out of a jib.

So I spend hours upon hours researching a machine. End up buying a Gamma 5800 els 6 pt because the damn engineer side of me wouldn't put up with a lesser machine. Took me 2 years to break to break even on the damn thing.

And the whole thing about the string is so true. I've got dozens of single packs around to try, and reels lying around because I now string for friends. I don't even charge them half the time because I'm so excited to try a new string. I'm pathetic.

As far as the mishaps, the bent awl thing is the kicker. Can't they make the things stronger? Reaming out new grommets results in me bending the awl half the time. Anyone have an awl brand that you can't bend into a C shape?

diredesire
01-06-2014, 05:56 PM
The engineering thing is so true. I figured I'd buy a machine to save some money. 3 of my kids, my wife and I play. I break strings every 90 minutes practicing groundies. I can get a singles and an 1 hour practice session (hopefully) out of a jib.

So I spend hours upon hours researching a machine. End up buying a Gamma 5800 els 6 pt because the damn engineer side of me wouldn't put up with a lesser machine. Took me 2 years to break to break even on the damn thing.

And the whole thing about the string is so true. I've got dozens of single packs around to try, and reels lying around because I now string for friends. I don't even charge them half the time because I'm so excited to try a new string. I'm pathetic.

As far as the mishaps, the bent awl thing is the kicker. Can't they make the things stronger? Reaming out new grommets results in me bending the awl half the time. Anyone have an awl brand that you can't bend into a C shape?

I'm a big fan of the TW awls, but they ARE bendable. They can also snap. However, if you're using enough force to do so, you're truly doing something wrong. I hear Kimony tools are excellent as well, but I've never had a reason to collect awls like I do starting clamps :)