PDA

View Full Version : How low does your hand gow for your grip? ie does your pinky touch the very base?

firstblud
08-27-2007, 08:52 PM
i own a prince racket and there's a lil stub at the bottom that protrudes out. my pinky stops right before the base of the grip protrudes outward (or the stub), while the rest of my hand covers the entire bottom of the grip where u cant see it. So you can only see the bottom 1/2-1 inch of my grip under my pinky.

my 4.5 friend told me that i'm holding my racket too high up and lose a lot of power. but it feels very awkward when i move it lower. is he right?

firstblud
08-27-2007, 08:52 PM
also... does anyone move their pinky all the way to the very bottom... where moving it any lower would leave the pinky hanging out?

str33t
08-27-2007, 08:56 PM
also... does anyone move their pinky all the way to the very bottom... where moving it any lower would leave the pinky hanging out?

That's me. If I moved my hand down anymore, my pinky would be off the racquet handle.

firstblud
08-27-2007, 09:06 PM
hm i'm wondering if i'm holding it a lil higher because my o3 hybrid shark has a grip length of 27.5 inches? this is my first racket as i'm a beginner (obviouslY).

dacrymn
08-27-2007, 09:09 PM
well first of all, you really shouldn't be caring. This is all a preference thing. If you feel you're lacking something, go ahead and try it, but if you didn't even realize anything was different until someone pointed it out, you really don't need to worry about it.

That being said, a lot of people hold it high up, and a lot of people hold it far down. I, personally, hold it about in-between.

firstblud
08-27-2007, 09:13 PM
well first of all, you really shouldn't be caring. This is all a preference thing. If you feel you're lacking something, go ahead and try it, but if you didn't even realize anything was different until someone pointed it out, you really don't need to worry about it.

That being said, a lot of people hold it high up, and a lot of people hold it far down. I, personally, hold it about in-between.

yeah my basic strokes are still developing and need lots of improvement, so i'm trying to rectify every little thing i can. it does feel awkward but there's moments where i feel like i got a lil extra power when i hit the ball, although it feels funky.

another thing i noticed is i got a major major forearm workout from holding it lower and now it's sore :confused:

gnatylliw
08-27-2007, 09:35 PM
That's me. If I moved my hand down anymore, my pinky would be off the racquet handle.

same, my grip is low as possible

firstblud
08-27-2007, 09:48 PM
btw you can see how i hold my grip in this thread

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=153402