PDA

View Full Version : The 2H backhand approach shot

Ambivalent
08-27-2007, 11:36 PM
ARGH! This is really ******* me off! I have solid strokes from all over and actually very solid placed volleys that i underuse because i cant seem to hit a decent approach shot! Whenever i get a short ball on my backhand, i can never seize the opportunity to angle it off. It goes into the net too frequently. Im not talking about a sitter, im talking about the kind of shots that come unexpectedly short, and i have to hit the 2hbh while moving forward. Is there any way to fix this or is this just one of the major things that 2h bh hitters like me sacrifice for more consistency?

Narcissist
08-28-2007, 03:26 AM
Try hitting a slice approach (one handed) on low balls. Every 2hbh player needs a slice backhand.

On high balls try a little more height over the net with more topspin.

In D Zone
08-28-2007, 02:18 PM
SLice is the preferred choice of weapon for approach shots, however, another thought would be is using short (no backswing) abbreviated 2bh shot (more of a punch shot). Rotate your shoulder and Use your motion moving forward to generate the power.

If you have time you might want to bring your racquet down and brush up as you make contact with the ball; this should impart a topspin on you approach shot (aka Nadal 2bh).

And Practice ! - it does not happen overnight. Footwork and timing need to be in sync other wise you'll be just giving back a weak return.

dave333
08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
When the ball is unexpectedly short, you usually want to slice it.

Ambivalent
08-29-2007, 10:41 PM
By unexpectedly, i didn't mean like a dropshot. I meant when i'm splitstepping and i see that the ball is going to land in the service box instead of in no mans as i was expecting, and i have to be moving forward WHILE hitting my backhand.

Right now, i've started trying to hit dropshots and very deep slice shots and it's working okay, but i'd still rather develop a topspin or even flat 2hbh approachish thing...especially for doubles where slice > poachers = me getting nailed.

In D Zone
08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
ARGH! This is really ******* me off! I have solid strokes from all over and actually very solid placed volleys that i underuse because i cant seem to hit a decent approach shot! Whenever i get a short ball on my backhand, i can never seize the opportunity to angle it off. It goes into the net too frequently. Im not talking about a sitter, im talking about the kind of shots that come unexpectedly short, and i have to hit the 2hbh while moving forward. Is there any way to fix this or is this just one of the major things that 2h bh hitters like me sacrifice for more consistency?

Ambivalent,

Aside from the suggestions I made earlier to you about using the 'Punch' shot for your approach. Here is another one for you.

I had the same struggles you are experincing awhile back then someone from this forum made a very good point.

It's all in the FOOTWORK ! I strongly suggest you learn the 'Carioca Step'. I guarantee you'll notice a big change on your game as the steps will automatically rotate your hip while moving and the same time provide you the base you need inorder for you to have control on your shot. It also help you moving the prep the split step for the next shot.

this link will explain ii to you in details..

http://www.tennisone.com/newsletter/template/11.22.04.newsletter.html