PDA

View Full Version : Stringing the crosses first?

Milano
08-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Just as the title says, how can you string the crosses first? As I am stringing, it seems that doing the crosses first would save a lot of time. For example on a 16*19 pattern, by stringing the crosses first it would make weaving 16 strings through 19 easier as you have to tension less and pull through grommets less.

Does this make sense? If it does, how would you start the string job?

Thanks.

Nuke
08-28-2007, 03:13 AM
Don't do it. Your stringing machine is designed to hold the racquet's shape while you string the mains first. If you do the crosses first, you are putting a lot of stain on the frame in a direction your stringer is not counterbalancing, and you have the real possibility that the racquet will crack or collapse.

predrag
08-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Just as the title says, how can you string the crosses first? As I am stringing, it seems that doing the crosses first would save a lot of time. For example on a 16*19 pattern, by stringing the crosses first it would make weaving 16 strings through 19 easier as you have to tension less and pull through grommets less.

Does this make sense? If it does, how would you start the string job?

Thanks.

You will break racquet this way.
I saw it actually happen.

Regards, Predrag

tbini87
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
you would end up weaving the mains through more crosses anyways. but as stated above, don't even try it.

Gmedlo
08-28-2007, 12:52 PM
If machines were designed to hold them that way it would work.

But think about it– do you really want to weave through 2-4 extra strings? Sure, the spacing might be larger towards the ends of the frame for the crosses, but I couldn't imagine anyone being able to weave through those middle crosses with any speed.

Also the shape of the racquet allows more stress on the mains.

Ripper
08-29-2007, 07:00 AM
Think of the hoop of the racquet as an egg. You can apply much more force to an egg from top to bottom than from side to side, without breaking it. This is why mains should be strung first.