PDA

View Full Version : Has Jim Courier come out of the closet yet?

BlackgirlX
08-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Today once again Courier was talking about how he felt Clement was attractive. I wonder why the tabloids haven't gone after him yet. Here is Courier former world no.1, 37 years old, single, never married, talks about openly about his male crushes on the air.

Moose Malloy
08-28-2007, 02:24 PM
That book Courier was reading on the changeovers way back when was an Armistad Maupin novel.

MacKenzie
08-28-2007, 02:26 PM
who keeps starting these threads?
let's stick to tennis....:mad:

quest01
08-28-2007, 02:29 PM
You know i dont know if Courier is gay or not nor do i care but i dont recall ever seeing a girlfriend present when Courier was in his playing days or now as a commentator. It seems as though he is always alone.

Bhagi Katbamna
08-28-2007, 02:32 PM
The tabloids don't go after him because he's a tennis player(and a former one at that). In case you haven't noticed, tennis isn't too terribly popular at the moment and doesn't sell newspapers as much as stories about Paris Hilton. Not to mention who cares if he's homosexual or not.

ilovecarlos
08-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Today once again Courier was talking about how he felt Clement was attractive. I wonder why the tabloids haven't gone after him yet. Here is Courier former world no.1, 37 years old, single, never married, talks about openly about his male crushes on the air.

Blackgirlx...are you female? Do you think Halle Berry is attractive? Have you verbalized this? Are you comfortable in your own skin? Do you think James or Thomas Blake are attractive? With all of your 12 posts I just wonder why you want to bring anyone else's sexuality in to question...don't you have anything better to do?

woody88
08-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Does this mean that any male commentators that said Federer dresses classy, and looks nice, makes him gay? or anybody that comment on Nadal's biceps for that matter? it seemed to me that instead of listening to people commenting on other players, you ought to be reading national inquirer or something.

superstition
08-28-2007, 03:15 PM
If my "gaydar" is at all functional, I give Courier a big flat "no" when it comes to him being gay. A gay player with that baseball backhand? Puleaze. Courier is definitely on my list of players who I seriously doubt are gay.

Of course, "gaydar" is just code for "stereotypical", and there are lots of men who give off no signals at all.

tennispro11
08-28-2007, 03:16 PM

Wow! You really are dumb. I thought after you said James Blake was whack that it couldn't get any worse. But it did. Now you are accusing Courier of being gay. So what? It doesn't change the fact that he is by far one of the best commentators at the USO. I think that you need to examine yourself and stop asking stupid questions like this. We need to quit talking about this gay stuff and talk about tennis. GRRRRRR! :mad:

saram
08-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Blackgirlx...are you female? Do you think Halle Berry is attractive? Have you verbalized this? Are you comfortable in your own skin? Do you think James or Thomas Blake are attractive? With all of your 12 posts I just wonder why you want to bring anyone else's sexuality in to question...don't you have anything better to do?

Very well said. Blake and Thomas are attractive as well as other men in the world. I can admit it, understand what draws women to certain men and I'm totally hetero. I have a daughter but have been 'alone' for almost four years. Does being 'alone' mean I'm homosexual? No. Just means I like my time with my daughter and the tennis courts. Maybe Courier just likes his life uncomplicated and focused on tennis and its realm.

superstition
08-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Now you are accusing Courier of being gay. It doesn't change the fact that he is by far one of the best commentators at the USO.
Interesting comment. There's nothing wrong with being gay, so I don't see how there's an "accusation" and that it has anything to do with a person's performance as a commentator.
We need to quit talking about this gay stuff and talk about tennis. GRRRRRR!
Or you can post in a different topic.

VS_Power
08-28-2007, 03:19 PM
If my "gaydar" is at all functional, I give Courier a big flat "no" when it comes to him being gay. A gay player with that baseball backhand? Puleaze. Courier is definitely on my list of players who I seriously doubt are gay.

Of course, "gaydar" is just code for "stereotypical", and there are lots of men who give off no signals at all.

just for curiousity's sake, why wouldn't a gay person use a baseball backhand?

superstition
08-28-2007, 03:23 PM
just for curiousity's sake, why wouldn't a gay person use a baseball backhand?
It's too butch. ;)

tennispro11
08-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Interesting comment. There's nothing wrong with being gay, so I don't see how there's an "accusation" and that it has anything to do with a person's performance as a commentator.

Or you can post in a different topic.

I never said there was anything wrong with being gay. The OP implied that Jim Courier was gay. I would call that an accusation after reading the OP's first post. I just said what I thought about the commentating thing after she mentioned Courier saying how handsome Clement was. I enjoy listening to him. You could post in a different topic as well SS.

adamvann
08-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Another gay post? Man what in thee hellll is goin' on in people's heads these days. I guess I'll just start wilin' out and posting my Ivanovic fantasies in a few threads. Nobody tell my wife though.

superstition
08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Another gay post? Man what in thee hellll is goin' on in people's heads these days.
Considering that a very large number of people are gay, it's actually surprising that it's not talked about more frequently.
I guess I'll just start wilin' out and posting my Ivanovic fantasies in a few threads. Nobody tell my wife though.
We've had at least five "Ivanovic is hot" topics already. Things come in waves. Right now, it's monkey see monkey do with gay topics. Two days from now it will be something else.

fastdunn
08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Although Jim Courier hardly ever seen with a girl friend on TV,
I do remember one girl friend shown on TV briefly when he was
playing a match as #1 in the world.

Moose Malloy
08-28-2007, 03:43 PM
^he had a french girlfriend, that's how he learned to speak french. of course he was only 21/22 at the time, so who knows.

If you're only casually dating someone, having her in the stands(& subject to being filmed) may not be wise. The only players girlfriends we see are the serious ones.

circusmouse
08-28-2007, 03:45 PM
A gay player with that baseball backhand? Puleaze.

Superstition, I know you're just saying this light-heartedly, but I don't want to reinforce stereotypes for any homophobes on this board. Many of the guys I hit with are gay, and their strokes are just as macho as the straight guys' strokes. In fact, a couple of them are terrible over-hitters.

BlackgirlX
08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes Courier had one girlfriend 16 long years ago. People make jokes about Novak Djokovic and he's just too cute to gay and very masculine. Meanwhile, Jim Courier just screams gay the guy talks about his male crushes on the TV for years from James Blake, to Ginepri, to Clement and Roddick. Novak may have a girlfriend but I think he's in love with Ana Ivanovic.

J-man
08-28-2007, 03:50 PM
So that's he learned how to speak French. Pretty damn good, with a French girlfriend.

Who knows if he's gay or not. Some guys are just comfortable talking about other guys looks.

superstition
08-28-2007, 03:51 PM
he's just too cute to gay and very masculine.
Excuse me?

Jim Courier just screams gay the guy talks about his male crushes on the TV for years
I've had crushes on women and I'm gay. I find female lower parts repellent (sorry ladies), and their bodies shaped "wrong" when it comes to what I find erotic (such as the shape of the hips). The crushes were Platonic/mental, not about sex.

Heterosexuals can have strong feelings for members of the same sex without having sexual desire for them.

tennispro11
08-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Yes Courier had one girlfriend 16 long years ago. People make jokes about Novak Djokovic and he's just too cute to gay and very masculine. Meanwhile, Jim Courier just screams gay the guy talks about his male crushes on the TV for years from James Blake, to Ginepri, to Clement and Roddick. Novak may have a girlfriend but I think he's in love with Ana Ivanovic.

Put the crack pipe down please. :confused:

Starlite
08-28-2007, 03:52 PM

I find this extremely laughable. Firstly, unless you provide a verbatim quote we will never know what Courier said. Maybe in a round about way he was commenting on how the ball seems to come to Clement, or maybe he was talking about his looks, but why would that matter it doesn't make him a homosexual for noticing.

Secondly, what are the other "male crushes" he's been talking about for years? :p

superstition
08-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Superstition, I know you're just saying this light-heartedly, but I don't want to reinforce stereotypes for any homophobes on this board. Many of the guys I hit with are gay, and their strokes are just as macho as the straight guys' strokes.
Of course. Gay people come in all types, like hetero folk.
In fact, a couple of them are terrible over-hitters.
Overcompensation, probably.

fastdunn
08-28-2007, 03:54 PM
I think more confident guys somtimes easily praise other guy's look.
Attractive males have pleasing looks to humans, both males and females
although females may feel slightly different sensations.

BlackgirlX
08-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Many people in the tennis community for years know Courier's gay its kind of an open secret like that Jodie Foster and Queen Latifah are lesbians and Anderson Cooper is a homosexual. Its one of those unspoken truths. Whenever the commentators talk about their love lives or families Courier is always silent. Whenever there is interviews with Courier his personal life is off limits. A lot of gay stars do that they don't want people to know they are gay so they figure if they don't talk about their personal lives they won't draw attention to it. Its a clear red flag. I mean does anyone honestly think Missy Elliott is straight?

Moose Malloy
08-28-2007, 03:55 PM
I find female lower parts repellent

any chance you can put that in your sig?

adamvann
08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Super, I'm not talking about the poulation at large. We're discussing ATP players, right? So, unless there is a whole bunch of gay men tennis players on tour...Then yeah, I'm actually surprised this silly s##t keeps comin' up.

As far as Ivanovic, the comment was toungue-in-cheek. To be candid, she ain't the flava I savor and just happens to be among the better looking of the slim pickins on the WTA. At least from where I'm sitting.

superstition
08-28-2007, 04:00 PM
any chance you can put that in your sig?
No, I don't even like to say it because it's impolite.

tennispro11
08-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Many people in the tennis community for years know Courier's gay its kind of an open secret like that Jodie Foster and Queen Latifah are lesbians and Anderson Cooper is a homosexual. Its one of those unspoken truths. Whenever the commentators talk about their love lives or families Courier is always silent. Whenever there is interviews with Courier his personal life is off limits. A lot of gay stars do that they don't want people to know they are gay so they figure if they don't talk about their personal lives they won't draw attention to it. Its a clear red flag. I mean does anyone honestly think Missy Elliott is straight?

Can you prove any of the bs you just said? Find some evidence first before posting. Have you even met someone who knew any of the people your talking about? :confused:

BlackgirlX
08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I work in the media and if you've ever been around NYC you would know Courier is indeed gay.

adamvann
08-28-2007, 04:09 PM
BlackgirlX, let Jim like who he likes and fantasize about Superstition if he wants to...daaaaayyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuummmmmnnnn!

tennispro11
08-28-2007, 04:10 PM
I work in the media and if you've ever been around NYC you would know Courier is indeed gay.

Well think what you want since you can't give us any proof of the matter. I ask this, what does this have to do with General Pro Player discussion? :confused:

stormholloway
08-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Funny. Courier did comment on Djokovic being good looking as well. He even said he liked his hair.

superstition
08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
He even said he liked his hair.
Well that proves it. He's heterosexual. No fashion sense... ;)

BlackgirlX
08-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Yes today on USA network Courier was gushing about how he found Novak to be very attractive. Last year on NBC Courier during the Indianapolis event was talking about how he found James to be very attractive and he liked Ginepri's muscles. Every year Courier has a new crush. Courier is smart though he usually says the same line "is he single, just so the ladies know" and then he makes a comment about how he finds the young male tennis player attractive. Courier uses the same pattern all the time. Today during the Karlovic and Clement match he talked about how he found Clement to be very attractive as well.

stormholloway
08-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Touche. Well stated.

OrangeOne
08-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Not that it matters one iota, but after seeing Courier when he comes to Australia in the 'megastar guest commentator' role, he always comes across as a very smooth-talking ladies man.

That said, when thought of in the context of someone trying to hide something, well he does indeed do the smooth-sleazey thing a LOT here, so maybe it is just a cover? Who knows. With as much money and fame as he has, even in tennis circles, it's odd he's not seen with a regular partner of either sex, unless of course the OP is right, and he just chooses to stay in the closet. If you look at past world number 1's, they tend to couple up quite easily (somewhat understandably - money, fame, success, fit, etc).

ShooterMcMarco
08-28-2007, 04:36 PM
I guess he just has a man-crush on Courier

BlackgirlX
08-28-2007, 04:38 PM
It just looks like Courier is trying to hide his sexuality just like George Clooney tries to act like he's a ladies man. Clooney reminds me of Rock Hudson and Cary Grant. Courier's all cover. The WTA has so many out lesbians yet the ATP TOUR only has Tilden. Give me a break. Its too much of an imbalance. And given the comments by some of the males on this board I doubt they would support a male player if he did come out as gay.

OrangeOne
08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
given the comments by some of the males on this board I doubt they would support a male player if he did come out as gay.

Many people on these boards are kids, and kids will be kids.

tennispro11
08-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Many people on these boards are kids, and kids will be kids.

So true Orange. Hey do you wear the livestrong band?

OrangeOne
08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
So true Orange. Hey do you wear the livestrong band?

Yup, well, except for the fact that right now i'm in-between bands as I snapped (another) one. I must go grab one to replace it....

BigboyDan
08-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Quote:

2000 -- "Courier is retiring from tennis only. He said his life will be as active, as full, as it has ever been.

He will get to spend more time with his girlfriend, composing music in his home studio, studying his financial investments and laying out plans for the future, playing golf and tennis -- just to stay in shape, of course -- and hanging out with the legion of good friends he has amassed through his remarkable career.

That doesn't even include his future career as a television commentator at Wimbledon this year.

"Retirement is maybe a convenient way to describe a transition," Courier said. "I'm not actually retiring, I'm going to stay active for sure, I'm not just going to head to Sun City, set up shop in a retirement place and play golf every morning at 6:30."

anointedone
08-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Although Jim Courier hardly ever seen with a girl friend on TV,
I do remember one girl friend shown on TV briefly when he was
playing a match as #1 in the world.

That does not mean anything at all. Do you honestly think gay men never has a "girlfriend"? There is not a single mens tennis player who is openly gay, yet 10-15% of the population is estimated to be. So do you really believe tennis is such such an uber-macho sport there is no gay players on the ATP tour of its multi-hundred regulars? Nonsense. However nobody who is wants to reveal apparently, and with that in mind why isnt it smart for some of those to use a so called girlfriend as a cover up.

I am a gay man and when I was alot younger I had a friend who acted as my "girlfriend" for a couple years, until I advanced past that stage of insecurity. So it is easy to believe a professional athlete whose lives are under much more scrutiny then a casual person would do that.

Dedans Penthouse
08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Today once again Courier was talking about how he felt Clement was attractive. I wonder why the tabloids haven't gone after him yet. Here is Courier former world no.1, 37 years old, single, never married, talks about openly about his male crushes on the air.Hey BlackgirlX, I don't know where you're going with one, but even if Jim was wearing his heart "outside" on his sleeve, and since beauty is only "skin deep," then, for whatever it's worth, it should be noted that Courier is

pink inside.....just like you.

:neutral:

saram
08-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Funny. Courier did comment on Djokovic being good looking as well. He even said he liked his hair.

Not sure he complimented the Joker's hair as he said it looked like a "chia pet". Not sure that is a compliment--unless you are in lust with chia pets...

dubsplayer
08-29-2007, 10:31 AM

LMAO! Spot on.

dubsplayer
08-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Not sure he complimented the Joker's hair as he said it looked like a "chia pet". Not sure that is a compliment--unless you are in lust with chia pets...

Oh, that's what he said? Nevermind my previous post.

skip1969
08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
is courier gay? well, he applied for membership . . . and was denied.

TheFonz
08-29-2007, 10:38 AM
I'll check and let you guys know. I hit with his former hitting partner daily. If anyone will know, he will. I'll respond back tomorrow.

skip1969
08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Many people in the tennis community for years know Courier's gay its kind of an open secret like that Jodie Foster and Queen Latifah are lesbians and Anderson Cooper is a homosexual.
wait . . . anderson cooper is gay?? god, i LOVE him.:D

Grandslam05
08-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Thats funny, this morning during the Safin match he was talking about how much he looked like McSteamy on Greys Anatomy. He then said he should rather be called McSafin. If thats not gay I don't know what is...

zentennis
08-29-2007, 11:01 AM
One time he tapped my foot under the stall in the airport bathroom in Minneapolis.

fastdunn
08-29-2007, 11:01 AM
That does not mean anything at all. Do you honestly think gay men never has a "girlfriend"? There is not a single mens tennis player who is openly gay, yet 10-15% of the population is estimated to be. So do you really believe tennis is such such an uber-macho sport there is no gay players on the ATP tour of its multi-hundred regulars? Nonsense. However nobody who is wants to reveal apparently, and with that in mind why isnt it smart for some of those to use a so called girlfriend as a cover up.

I am a gay man and when I was alot younger I had a friend who acted as my "girlfriend" for a couple years, until I advanced past that stage of insecurity. So it is easy to believe a professional athlete whose lives are under much more scrutiny then a casual person would do that.

Wow, you need to slow down here. You are over-reacting.

What did I say ? All I said is that I saw a JC's grilfriend on TV one time
briefly long time ago.

You are stereo-typing non-gay man (and his little-posting).
I am not a gay man but I'm perfectly fine with gay people.
I have a few gay friends. I love the gay owner of my favorite sandwich shop.
My hair stylist is a gay man and we are very good friends.
We just happen to have different sexual orientations. That's all.

Now go back to my original posting and read it. Tell me what I said...

TheFonz
08-29-2007, 11:03 AM
One time he tapped my foot under the stall in the airport bathroom in Minneapolis.

is he going to run for office :)

dubsplayer
08-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Thats funny, this morning during the Safin match he was talking about how much he looked like McSteamy on Greys Anatomy. He then said he should rather be called McSafin. If thats not gay I don't know what is...

Did he really? I must have missed that. He does look like McSteamy but no straight guy would know that since no straight guys watch Grey's Anatomy. So, chia pet hair comment notwithstanding, I'm back in that camp. NTTAWWT.

TheModernEra
08-29-2007, 11:39 AM
I'll never get back the 15 minutes (at work, none-the-less) that I've spent reading this thread....this is great stuff.....

snapple
08-29-2007, 12:41 PM
I've had this hunch about him for awhile as well...not that there's anything wrong with that :)

BlackgirlX
08-29-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm sure Michael Musto at the Village Voice will be talking about Courier for sure. Courier's always gushing about how he finds certain male tennis players attractive.

superstition
08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Courier's always gushing about how he finds certain male tennis players attractive.
Gay men in fashion find female models attractive. I can find many women attractive. It's a different sort of attraction, though, like appreciating a painting or a flower. When I see a Van Gogh painting, I have an emotional response. They're attractive. That doesn't mean I want to sleep with them.

Anyone can differentiate between a beautiful person and a homely person. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation. You will not find a director casting Kathy Bates as a supermodel, whether the director is gay or hetero. Anyone can appreciate the beauty of another person, without wanting to have sex with that person.

tt_the_man
08-29-2007, 02:41 PM
I have no idea if Courier is gay, but here's a story that makes me wonder.

Recently I went to a Champion's Cup match with Courier playing. An extremely attractive female friend of mine, who had a crush on him when she was a little girl (like 15 years ago), went along and dressed in a provocative manner. After the match, she went down to the court to get him to autograph her ticket. She came back with an autograph, but looking disappointed. "He didn't even notice me! Didn't look at me at all!" I remember thinking it was strange but maybe he was just tired after his match.

Hmmm....

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
08-29-2007, 02:47 PM

LOL well my gaydar hums with Courier, but yes it's immaterial to tennis, his commentating, etc. etc. etc.

Chia Pet, Djokovic, good one...like his hair better when he does the wax thing.

BlackgirlX
08-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Just because Courier isn't effeminiate doesn't mean he couldn't be homosexual look at that politician that got caught having sex in public washrooms. I am sure no one suspected that guy was bisexual either.

MacKenzie
08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm sure Michael Musto at the Village Voice will be talking about Courier for sure. Courier's always gushing about how he finds certain male tennis players attractive.

Johnny Mac frequently says that Andy Roddick is a very handsome guy. Doesn't mean....

anointedone
08-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Wow, you need to slow down here. You are over-reacting.

What did I say ? All I said is that I saw a JC's grilfriend on TV one time
briefly long time ago.

You are stereo-typing non-gay man (and his little-posting).
I am not a gay man but I'm perfectly fine with gay people.
I have a few gay friends. I love the gay owner of my favorite sandwich shop.
My hair stylist is a gay man and we are very good friends.
We just happen to have different sexual orientations. That's all.

Now go back to my original posting and read it. Tell me what I said...

OK I obviously jumped to conclusions when reading your original post. I apologize. All you said was that Courier had not been seen on TV much with a girlfriend (which alot of mens players are) but that you saw a girlfriend in his box once.

OrangeOne
08-29-2007, 05:41 PM
OK I obviously jumped to conclusions when reading your original post. I apologize. All you said was that Courier had not been seen on TV much with a girlfriend (which alot of mens players are) but that you saw a girlfriend in his box once.

The immature side of me wants desperately to make a pun out of the ending to that last sentence, but it'd be way too non-PG for these boards :)

35ft6
08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Today once again Courier was talking about how he felt Clement was attractive. I wonder why the tabloids haven't gone after him yet. Here is Courier former world no.1, 37 years old, single, never married, talks about openly about his male crushes on the air. He once went on and on about how good looking James Blake was a while back. It was very strange to hear on the air. The other commentator really had nothing to add. If nothing else, it was awkward.

Phil
08-29-2007, 05:47 PM
I have no idea if Courier is gay, but here's a story that makes me wonder.

Recently I went to a Champion's Cup match with Courier playing. An extremely attractive female friend of mine, who had a crush on him when she was a little girl (like 15 years ago), went along and dressed in a provocative manner. After the match, she went down to the court to get him to autograph her ticket. She came back with an autograph, but looking disappointed. "He didn't even notice me! Didn't look at me at all!" I remember thinking it was strange but maybe he was just tired after his match.

Hmmm....
We would REALLY need to see a photo of your "extremely attractive" female friend (dressed in a provocative manner, of course) in order to make the determination that JC is gay. Maybe she doesn't bathe and he was turned off by the smell-it could be anything other than being gay. So, the picture...

superstition
08-29-2007, 05:50 PM
He once went on and on about how good looking James Blake was a while back. It was very strange to hear on the air. The other commentator really had nothing to add. If nothing else, it was awkward.
Isn't is generally strange to hear a man appreciate the looks of other men in American culture, generally? It seems strange because it's against the rigid gender role. By contrast, there is a lot of material that indicates that women are supposed to be able to evaluate the attractiveness of other women. Look at hetero porn, including soft-core. Not only are women able to evaluate other women, they find them so attractive that they do the fake lesbian thing.

BlackgirlX
08-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Yes but Courier does it all the time he's also gushing about the guys he finds attractive this year at the US OPEN he's talked about Djokovic and Clement he kinds them attractive. Also, since there are lesbians on the WTA there are bound to be homosexuals on the ATP TOUR. If Mauresmo can be gay so can Courier.

RICKNYC
08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
As someone who came out "late" (43) I could care less about anyone's sexual preferences, but I have had many conversations with gay men about how empowering it is to finally say, "this is who I am." I have always gotten a gay vibe from JC. I can't help but think that he - and other closeted athletes - would find it similarly empowering to be able to live the life they want to openly and freely. And for all the lip service given to gay role models (Martina, Ellen, et al), it really is true that having someone like JC admitting he is gay would have an incredible impact on young people (especially athletes) struggling with sexual identity.

And did anyone hear JC say tonight on USA, while discussing Roger Federer's clothes, that he had worn a pink tuxedo twice? PINK? Where would he wear a pink tuxedo? What was that about?

I doubt JC or anyone close to him will read any of this but I say, "C'mon Jim, you're a class guy. No one really cares if you're gay. Do the right thing."

fastdunn
08-29-2007, 06:10 PM

Apology accepted. We're cool from now.

OrangeOne
08-29-2007, 06:18 PM
"C'mon Jim, you're a class guy. No one really cares if you're gay. Do the right thing."

To be fair, you are a gay guy saying that. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all, but you have to see you're probably a little more accepting than many :)

When he comes to Australia, paid a large sum for 2 weeks work in the summer, he always plays the macho vibe, as I said earlier, playing 'one of the lads' with our other commentators, perving on the girls, smooth-talking the attractive female commentators and players, etc etc. That's because Aussie Blokes feel akin to 'blokes', and Aussie women like their blokes. He scores 80% of the audience easily with this persona (and gay or not, it's a persona). I"m sure, here at least, being 'straight' makes him much more marketable.

I'm not saying it's right, i'm saying it's my economic opinion :). I daresay he probably (if gay) feels it's the same elsewhere, and the substantial money he makes as an expert commentator is strongly linked to sponsorship / advertising dollars, the same dollars pro-tennis players get, and the same reason hardly any male pros seem to come out as gay, they don't want to risk their 100k to 10+ million a year in sponsorship....

BlackgirlX
08-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Mauresmo came out and she's a national hero in France the French people adore her and love her they don't care that Amelie is a lesbian. So if Jim Courier came out I doubt he would lose fans. And that's the thing why do these guys on the ATP TOUR hide? ATP is an individual sport. I think it has to with the fans especially male fans. Male tennis fans won't admit it but I think they would have a problem if their male heroes were gay. I mean would the men on this board have a problem if Federer or Nadal were bisexual?

drakulie
08-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Gay men in fashion find female models attractive. I can find many women attractive. It's a different sort of attraction, though, like appreciating a painting or a flower. When I see a Van Gogh painting, I have an emotional response. They're attractive. That doesn't mean I want to sleep with them.

Anyone can differentiate between a beautiful person and a homely person. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation. You will not find a director casting Kathy Bates as a supermodel, whether the director is gay or hetero. Anyone can appreciate the beauty of another person, without wanting to have sex with that person.

Well said. I definitely agree.

And as for Courier being gay???????? Who cares? Guy had one mean FH and still does!

skip1969
08-29-2007, 06:26 PM
i'm laughing cos i'm truly amazed that this thread has gotten so much mileage, considering it's based on the flimsiest circumstantial evidence imaginable. if we had taken it to court, the judge would have laughed us right out of the building.

anointedone
08-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Apology accepted. We're cool from now.

Sure, we're cool.

OrangeOne
08-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Mauresmo came out and she's a national hero in France the French people adore her and love her they don't care that Amelie is a lesbian. So if Jim Courier came out I doubt he would lose fans. And that's the thing why do these guys on the ATP TOUR hide? ATP is an individual sport. I think it has to with the fans especially male fans. Male tennis fans won't admit it but I think they would have a problem if their male heroes were gay. I mean would the men on this board have a problem if Federer or Nadal were bisexual?

1-Would men, on this board, have a problem? No.
2-Would men, in general, have a problem? Yes
3-Would males, on this board, have a problem? Probably
4-Would males, in general, have a problem? Probably.

Why for all of the above?

1- Men (over 18) on these boards tend to be educated and worldly.
2- Men, in general and on average, are still somewhat homophobic, and would have a problem.
3&4- Males includes kids, and most males on these boards are kids, and kids will be kids, and whatever is different will not necessarily be treated positively.

And as for Courier being gay???????? Who cares? Guy had one mean FH and still does!

He can't have had a mean FH, he played with a racquet the size of a teaspoon! ;)

Gemini
08-29-2007, 06:37 PM
- Couriers' former girlfriend - Morgane Fruhwirth

- A woman that pretends to be a gay man's girlfriend is generally referred to as his "beard".

- And you'd be surprised who reads these boards.

RICKNYC
08-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Re; OrangeOne's reponse. I'm not sure the economic theory is sound given the immense social progress we've made in accepting gaydom. JC doesn't really need more dough. USA wouldn't fire him, they'd lose the PR battle on that one. And the Europeans would probably embrace him even more.
I did read something about him living in Chelsea, the white hot center of gay life.

I just think he would be a lot happier coming out. If he is, in fact, gay.

35ft6
08-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Isn't is generally strange to hear a man appreciate the looks of other men in American culture, generally? It seems strange because it's against the rigid gender role. Yes and no. Even homophobic friends, and family unfortunately, I've heard them compliment a guy. On a tennis broadcast, the way Courier was going on about Blake, it would have been almost as strange for a broadcaster to go on and on about a female's looks. Say she's pretty once, or "he's a good looking kid" once, and it's not a big deal. The way Courier said it, and the number of times, was what made it bizarre, not simply that it was a man complimenting another man's physical appearance. But I understand what you're getting at. And Depeche Mode is a really sweet band.

tennispro11
08-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes and no. Even homophobic friends, and family unfortunately, I've heard them compliment a guy. On a tennis broadcast, the way Courier was going on about Blake, it would have been almost as strange for a broadcaster to go on and on about a female's looks. Say she's pretty once, or "he's a good looking kid" once, and it's not a big deal. The way Courier said it, and the number of times, was what made it bizarre, not simply that it was a man complimenting another man's physical appearance. But I understand what you're getting at. And Depeche Mode is a really sweet band.

Yeah most definitely a sweet band. Dream On is one of my all time favorites. :)

35ft6
08-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Mauresmo came out and she's a national hero in France the French people adore her and love her they don't care that Amelie is a lesbian. So if Jim Courier came out I doubt he would lose fans.It would hurt Courier economically if he came out. If he's gay of course. To me, that's indisputable, what can be debated is how MUCH it would hurt his promotions company and tour, and his children's charity. Maybe it would barely make a difference and other sponsors would rush to replace the corporations that don't want to be associated with homosexuality. Who knows.

35ft6
08-29-2007, 07:23 PM
i'm laughing cos i'm truly amazed that this thread has gotten so much mileage, considering it's based on the flimsiest circumstantial evidence imaginable. if we had taken it to court, the judge would have laughed us right out of the building.Yeah, it's a good thing it's on a message board with other such serious topics as "Best Movie Fight Scene Ever" and, Noam Chomsky's favorite, "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!! :[."

saram
08-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Superstition...I have to give you your props...you really bring your level-headed 'A' game when people chime in negatively on this topic. You're AOK in my book. Keep it up!

Fee
08-29-2007, 09:46 PM

Laugh out loud!

Just because Courier isn't effeminiate doesn't mean he couldn't be homosexual look at that politician that got caught having sex in public washrooms. I am sure no one suspected that guy was bisexual either.

Really? Who was that? You 'work in media' and this is your synopsis of this particular news story? What is your definition of 'work in media'?

lacoster
08-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Jim is a great guy and I like him as a person. I am straight, but I have a gay uncle that just recently came out of the closet.

I really thought this thread was pointless until I caught Courier today ramble about the "fashion scene" at the Open commenting on Federer's outfit, while McEnroe just looked dumbfounded and had nothing to add.

So I did some research...

He just exudes an attitude of a typical 30-something gay man: no girlfriend/wife committments, no family ties, just wants to work and play his heart out.....just like my gay uncle.

He lived in France for almost a decade after retirement, which is a great way for an American star to get away and live a secret gay life in gay Paris, also the fashion capital of the world. My gay uncle never shuts up about how he'd love to live there...

Someone brought up his penchant for reading Armistead Maupin (the gay author who penned Tales of The City) during changeovers in the middle of matches. Not that straight people don't read Maupin, but wouldn't this be a subliminal message around the locker room?

Then, Andy Roddick interviewing him in Melbourne..."So you over 30 and not married. Do you have commitment issues?". Jim looked dumbfounded, paused, and went on to grab the mic from Andy to start asking his own questions. I thought he came pretty close to outing Courier.

From Wikipedia: "Courier has never confirmed nor denied that he is gay"

So, finally, I asked my gay uncle, a long-time tennis fan, about Jim and what did he say? "A rich, famous, good-looking, 30-something ex-pro-athlete that can have just about any girl he wants but is still single?...Yea, Jim's gay." LOL - I just about died laughing at my uncle's candor.

OrangeOne
08-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Then, Andy Roddick interviewing him in Melbourne..."So you over 30 and not married. Do you have commitment issues?". Jim looked dumbfounded, paused, and went on to grab the mic from Andy to start asking his own questions. I thought he came pretty close to outing Courier.

Interesting, because one would expect Roddick would know the truth.

From Wikipedia: "Courier has never confirmed nor denied that he is gay"

I hope that was written before this thread was started - does the article have an edit date I wonder?

So, finally, I asked my gay uncle, a long-time tennis fan, about Jim and what did he say? "A rich, famous, good-looking, 30-something ex-pro-athlete that can have just about any girl he wants but is still single?...Yea, Jim's gay." LOL - I just about died laughing at my uncle's candor.

My thoughts exactly, except I don't think I'm your uncle, and i'm straight. But still, I reckon my thoughts count... :)

SoBad
08-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Why does anybody even care, I mean unlike Djokovic he's old and not goodlooking, so just leave him alone and let him commentate or whatever.

Fred The Red
08-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Please stop these wild rumours...

I know the quality of this pic is very bad but the girl in the pic was his girlfriend in 2004.
She's sitting in the 'player box' right of Ivanisevic.

I saw them kissing, kissing and kissing... off court at a senior tour event in Holland.

You don't have to believe me but i'm 100% confident dat Jim is NOT gay!

In my eyes he's even a serious 'playboy' that enjoys the partys and everything that comes with it... ;-)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/fredthered78/DSC000163-1.jpg

OrangeOne
08-30-2007, 06:38 AM
I saw them kissing, kissing and kissing... off court at a senior tour event in Holland.

You don't have to believe me but i'm 100% confident dat Jim is NOT gay!

In my eyes he's even a serious 'playboy' that enjoys the partys and everything that comes with it... ;-)

Sooo, in your eyes he enjoys everything that comes with the parties, but you're 100% confident he's not gay?

Ever heard of people being Bi? That way he easily could enjoy everyone at the parties...

superstition
08-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Superstition...I have to give you your props...you really bring your level-headed 'A' game when people chime in negatively on this topic. You're AOK in my book. Keep it up!
Thanks. :)

Fred The Red
08-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Sooo, in your eyes he enjoys everything that comes with the parties, but you're 100% confident he's not gay?

Ever heard of people being Bi? That way he easily could enjoy everyone at the parties...

Of course it's possible that's he's bi...
But you can always argue and discuss everything in life, that's sooo easy...

I saw him kissing a women and not also a man, so for me personally ends it there.

I don't care about someone their sexual preferences.
He's a nice guy and i hope he enjoys his retirement.

OrangeOne
08-30-2007, 07:38 AM
I don't care about someone their sexual preferences.

Ironic for you not to care, and yet to be

a. posting in this thread, and
b. finding a pic, highlighting a woman, etc etc etc.

Me? I think good luck to him any which way, but I think, I think, he just might be gay :)

alwaysatnet
08-30-2007, 08:20 AM
When Courier was interviewing Lleyton Hewitt, Hewitt was discussing how much he enjoyed his marriage and family life with his new daughter.
And then later while commentating and reminiscing Courier stated that marriage and family life had been good for Hewitt.
Then he said that he(Courier) didn't have that "accoutrement" in his life, which just struck me as an odd way of putting it.
So,for whatever it's worth, he could be gay.Then again....

Fred The Red
08-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Ironic for you not to care, and yet to be

a. posting in this thread, and
b. finding a pic, highlighting a woman, etc etc etc.

Me? I think good luck to him any which way, but I think, I think, he just might be gay :)

a. i'm a big fan of Jim and i don't like it when people tell wrong facts about him
but neverless i don't care about the subject of this discussion.

b. that event (see him play, talking with Jim,...) was a great moment for me that i will never forget. I remember that woman because she was shortly talking with my wife.
And about finding that pic: my pics are very well organised.

And if you're right, no problem for me.
cheers

richw76
08-30-2007, 04:49 PM
When I was 15 or 16 Courier and other top pros practiced at the tennis courts at my High school. It was during the then Lipton tournament. At that point he was #1 I believe. He was very nice and signed almost ever tennis ball shoved in his face after he was finished practicing. Crazy thing he did it 3 or 4 days. I'll remember that experience. I could careless if he is gay.

richw76
08-30-2007, 05:05 PM
As someone who came out "late" (43) I could care less about anyone's sexual preferences, but I have had many conversations with gay men about how empowering it is to finally say, "this is who I am." I have always gotten a gay vibe from JC. I can't help but think that he - and other closeted athletes - would find it similarly empowering to be able to live the life they want to openly and freely. And for all the lip service given to gay role models (Martina, Ellen, et al), it really is true that having someone like JC admitting he is gay would have an incredible impact on young people (especially athletes) struggling with sexual identity.

And did anyone hear JC say tonight on USA, while discussing Roger Federer's clothes, that he had worn a pink tuxedo twice? PINK? Where would he wear a pink tuxedo? What was that about?

I doubt JC or anyone close to him will read any of this but I say, "C'mon Jim, you're a class guy. No one really cares if you're gay. Do the right thing."

RickNYC I think it's great that you are able to live your life the way you choose. But the simple fact is If courier keeps doing what he is doing there is no real downside(only rumor from people like blackgirlx), IF he is gay and he comes out it's possible if unlikely that he is rejected. I agree that since tennis is an individual sport it's easier, but chances are good that if he came out there would be reactions some good some bad. He may want to avoid that at this point in his life.

I'm a male tennis fan, and I don't care who's gay or straight. Actually, I play with a group of jamacian guys alot, and that culture is usually very intolerant of homosexuality, and we play with several guys that are probably gay. No one cares. Everyone gets along.

LuckyR
08-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Dinner to honor retired Courier

The tennis star says it is he who should honor his hometown. The event will raise money for the Dade City YMCA.
By JAMAL THALJI

St. Petersburg Times, published June 12, 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DADE CITY -- Tonight, Dade City honors one of its own, professional tennis great Jim Courier.

Ask Courier, though, and it is he who is honoring Dade City.

To celebrate his recent retirement from the sport he dominated in the early 1990s, an exclusive dinner will be held at First United Methodist Church at 7 p.m. to raise money for the Dade City YMCA.

YMCA boosters will donate thousands of dollars for the chance to eat barbecue from George and Gladys' restaurant alongside Courier and his family and friends. Courier also will sign autographs and pose for pictures.

A video tribute to his career will be shown, and his many accomplishments will all be noted.

But Courier is more concerned with a good cause than celebrating his own career. Dade City is where he grew up, honing his skills in the famous tennis court alongside his childhood home on Southview Avenue.

To Courier, it is his "reality pool" away from a lifestyle and the pressures of the game that has made him a world-renowned celebrity.

"People there are real," he said. "Everyone knows everyone, and everyone there's really genuine, which is nice. But go to New York or L.A., and people have a lot of ulterior motives, using everybody for their own gains.

"People in Dade City are a lot more gentler, a lot more kinder."

Courier's mother, Linda, said she tried to teach her eldest son to appreciate the small-town appeal of Dade City.

"Not everything is the (tennis) life he lived," she said. "What goes on in a little town, that's the reality of life. Families and friends and community and school and all those kinds of things."

Which is why Courier, who now lives in Orlando, still cares enough to make the trek back to Dade City, past the sign at the county line that bears his name.

Then again, it's not like he's actually retiring.

Not at the age of 29. Not after a hugely successful 12-year career in professional tennis, with a legacy of hard work and physical play assured after 506 career wins, 23 singles titles -- including four Grand Slams -- and two Davis Cup victories. Not with a financial future secured by a powerful forehand that reportedly earned him more than $50-million in prize money and endorsements.

Courier is retiring from tennis only. He said his life will be as active, as full, as it has ever been.

He will get to spend more time with his girlfriend, composing music in his home studio, studying his financial investments and laying out plans for the future, playing golf and tennis -- just to stay in shape, of course -- and hanging out with the legion of good friends he has amassed through his remarkable career.

Forehand Forever
08-31-2007, 10:18 AM
He also just talked about how Safin would bring in the "Hot chicks" to his box and how he missed that. Then he had to take back what he said cause he couldn't say "Hot Chicks" on the air.

onehandbh
08-31-2007, 11:13 PM
It just looks like Courier is trying to hide his sexuality just like George Clooney tries to act like he's a ladies man. Clooney reminds me of Rock Hudson and Cary Grant. Courier's all cover. The WTA has so many out lesbians yet the ATP TOUR only has Tilden. Give me a break. Its too much of an imbalance. And given the comments by some of the males on this board I doubt they would support a male player if he did come out as gay.

are you trying to imply that clooney is gay? if you are, then please
provide a bit more proof than saying he acts like a "ladies man."

with this one, i've got some solid "proof" to the contrary of your
allegation, if you aren't implying that, then ignore my response above,
and my apologies. if you are... i can provide my "proof" but just have
to get permission first to see if i can use their actual name...

Voltron
08-31-2007, 11:24 PM

Let me just say this: owned........

Vector
08-31-2007, 11:52 PM
If Courier is trying to hide that he is gay, then why would he comment so much about other guys looking good :confused:

Which men are gay on the tour according to those with gaydars ?

I assume that guy who wears pink shirts with his shoulders is gay, but who else?

richw76
09-01-2007, 04:44 AM
If Courier is trying to hide that he is gay, then why would he comment so much about other guys looking good :confused:

Which men are gay on the tour according to those with gaydars ?

I assume that guy who wears pink shirts with his shoulders is gay, but who else?

ahh ohhhh, If a pink shirt makes you gay I guess I like dudes....... man my wifes gonna be ****ed. She bought me the shirts.

Joeyg
09-01-2007, 06:05 AM
As WoodyAllen once said, "Bisexuality increases your chances for a date on Friday by 50%." Who cares if Jim is gay or bi? Whatever his preferences might be or not be, for that matter, is strictly his business.

Vector
09-01-2007, 03:42 PM
ahh ohhhh, If a pink shirt makes you gay I guess I like dudes....... man my wifes gonna be ****ed. She bought me the shirts.

Pink and has his shoulder blades exposed. It looked very gay to me.

So where are the gaydar people :confused:

superstition
09-01-2007, 09:31 PM
The only reason pink is associated with gay people is because the N a z i s gave the men pink triangles when they put them into concentration camps. Gay women were given black triangles.

The color pink has no relation to being gay any more than green does. In the 19th century, gay men would wear green ties as a coded signal to other gay men.

And, around 1900, it was the fashion that baby boys were given pink and baby girls were given blue. I have no idea why the colors were switched later.

ttwarrior1
09-03-2007, 02:54 PM
email usa, cbs, contact him somehow and ask, simple stuff

sportsfan92
09-03-2007, 03:07 PM
well, first - i didn't read the rest of the thread. but 37 & single - beautiful blue eyes - steady job...um, seems to have a clue about the world around him...how do i get in touch with him? ;)