PDA

View Full Version : Pls recommend me a Synthetic Gut

sunflowerhx
08-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Main rackets: Dunlop Revelation Pro Classic and Wilson HPS 6.0.
Both 95sqin.

All Courter 4.0-4.5, 1HBH, not a string breaker. No arms/elbow problems.
Flat ground strokes but looking to add more Top spin.
Prefer tension 52-55lbs.

String properties required:
1. Feel and control
2. More power
3. Tension retention
4. Value for money.

Havent tried many strings except for cheap Prince Syn Gut and Wilson Extreme which are ok but want some more power.

Tried some standard Multifilament - prefer Wilson Extreme.
Tried Alu Power - too stiff and no feel. Don't like.

What I think I want is a solid core/single wrap like the Extreme but with more power.

Thanks all.

ProStaff Legend
08-28-2007, 03:51 PM
i would give x1 biphase a try

fastdunn
08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Laserfibre Tour. Somewhat pricy though.

JavierLW
08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Main rackets: Dunlop Revelation Pro Classic and Wilson HPS 6.0.
Both 95sqin.

All Courter 4.0-4.5, 1HBH, not a string breaker. No arms/elbow problems.
Flat ground strokes but looking to add more Top spin.
Prefer tension 52-55lbs.

String properties required:
1. Feel and control
2. More power
3. Tension retention
4. Value for money.

Havent tried many strings except for cheap Prince Syn Gut and Wilson Extreme which are ok but want some more power.

Tried some standard Multifilament - prefer Wilson Extreme.
Tried Alu Power - too stiff and no feel. Don't like.

What I think I want is a solid core/single wrap like the Extreme but with more power.

Thanks all.

Which "standard" multi's did you try?

Im not sure why you are just going for Syn Gut, Multi's do better in all those categorys except in some cases where they are not worth the price. (KGut would probally fall in that category)

If you havent tryed X1 biphase yet, you should. I had been using NXT forever, and I love biphase. It seems to be way more playable.

I doubt that any multi that you buy at the store (NXT, Xcell, Prince's and Head's versions.....) will compare with biphase.

Valjean
08-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Prince's Lightning XX; Powerfoil wrap gives enhanced power. Light pre-stretch recommended for stringing it well.

mhstennis100
08-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Ashaway Synthetic Gut. You probably need 16g if the racket has an open pattern.

thbat
08-28-2007, 05:33 PM
If you are not happy with Prince Syn Gut, I doubt you will find much difference with other syn gut. I know a few people who liked Gosen OG-Sheep Micro better than Prince but I can't comment as I have not tired it myself.

If you want to step to a multi, try the Wilson Reaction. It does all you mentioned better than Prince Syn Gut, but for a little more $. Worth it though, in my opinion.

Another option is to vary the string guage. You did not mention the string guage you are using. A 16g sting plays different from an 18g.

tbini87
08-28-2007, 06:44 PM
yeah you probably will not be satisfied with a syn gut, and might need to go with a multi. nxt or biphase might do the trick. as far as og micro it will not be any better than say prince syn gut, and the reason people love it is because it is a good string for the price. at $30 a reel you can restring every week (if you string yourself) and not break the bank.

Gmedlo
08-28-2007, 07:31 PM
I'd be more inclined to try different tensions before different syn guts– most are virtually the same, the only difference is usually crispness.

I once tried Gosen OG Micro in my ps85s at 38 pounds and actually liked it more than any other multis I had tried... Amazing cupping and power was the exact opposite of what you would expect.

jonolau
08-28-2007, 08:40 PM
You've got to try out Pro Supex's Synthetic Titan. This is a really good syn gut that maintains tension quite well. Also have a nice mix of comfort and control.

The other thing I really like about it is that the gun metal colored coating wears down very slowly with use and you can quite clearly see when it's time to change.

Ripper
08-29-2007, 06:49 AM
Pssst:

Yonex syn guts are GREAT!

nickb
08-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Gosen OG micro...the reel is only $30.

iplaybetter
08-29-2007, 09:18 AM
micro is nice
x-1 is the best, and nxt tour is the same as x-1