PDA

View Full Version : Yet another question about the rules... Hindrance on a serve.

LazyAzN
08-28-2007, 05:09 PM
So during another unofficiated match today, I was playing doubles. Since his ball toss was towards his back, I thought he would try and jam me. Thus, I shifted 6 inches to the left to not get jammed, still in ready position, no arm shifting or anything intentional. What happened was that he faulted, and he tried to claim hindrance because I moved, and told me not to move anymore...

Is this considered hindrance? Am I once again in the wrong (from previous thread)

dave333
08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure, but I doubt it. I sometimes see pros back up or step forward as someone is about to serve.

JavierLW
08-28-2007, 05:17 PM
So during another unofficiated match today, I was playing doubles. Since his ball toss was towards his back, I thought he would try and jam me. Thus, I shifted 6 inches to the left to not get jammed, still in ready position, no arm shifting or anything intentional. What happened was that he faulted, and he tried to claim hindrance because I moved, and told me not to move anymore...

Is this considered hindrance? Am I once again in the wrong (from previous thread)

No, you can move all you want. In fact it says that once you show that you are ready, you cant do anything to become unready.

The only time when maybe it would be hinderence is if you were very noisy about it, or were deliberately causing some sort of disturbance by doing it.

Especially if you just moved 6 inches, that's not a big deal. I play a guy (usually in doubles) who will stroll from the center all the way into the alley and back if he has enough time while I am in my service motion. (it does distract me, but maybe that's my fault although I feel it is sort of abnormal)

Someone else can back me up here though, but I think when you play better opponents you will have to move somewhat initially otherwise you wont be able to return some very hard serves. (you have to read what it's going to do before the server hits it)

OrangeOne
08-28-2007, 05:33 PM
No, you can move all you want. In fact it says that once you show that you are ready, you cant do anything to become unready.

The only time when maybe it would be hinderence is if you were very noisy about it, or were deliberately causing some sort of disturbance by doing it.

Especially if you just moved 6 inches, that's not a big deal. I play a guy (usually in doubles) who will stroll from the center all the way into the alley and back if he has enough time while I am in my service motion. (it does distract me, but maybe that's my fault although I feel it is sort of abnormal)

Someone else can back me up here though, but I think when you play better opponents you will have to move somewhat initially otherwise you wont be able to return some very hard serves. (you have to read what it's going to do before the server hits it)

As I have discovered in another thread, JavierLW is indeed a rules-junkie, and is correct again. You were within your rights to move, LazyAzn.

To be specific, here's a quote from the code:

34. Feinting with the body. A player may feint with the body while the ball is in play. A player may change position at any time, including while the Server is tossing the ball. Any movement or sound that is made solely to distract an opponent, including, but not limited, to waving the arms or racket or stamping the feet, is not allowed.For a recount of my experience with someone doing this to deliberately distract me, read this thread: To what degree is the returner 'moving around' allowed? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=117650)

LazyAzN
08-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Alright, thanks guys. I just wanted to be sure that I was in the right, because I did read the rules but the fact that someone brought up hinderance made me question if I remembered the rule correctly.