PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye NRG2... where to go???

jcstennis
08-28-2007, 07:56 PM
My long love affair with NRG2 17g is ending. I need to move on... i am looking for a multi that's a little bit more "crisper" than the NRG, but still has some of the feel/touch of NRG... and a bit more control. (in the past i have tried Prince Premier SoftFlex, X-1 BiPhase, Sensation, Reaction, SPPP-though not a multi, NXT-in hybrids....... none of these really get me to where i need to be, i like the SPPP, but there is no life to it like a good multi. X-1 is soft, powerful but looses tension-i feel- faster than the NRG. when the NRG looses tension it get "mushy" and looses control.)

Any suggestions???:confused:

forgot... currently using Pure Control Standards. my NRG2 set up was... one piece @ 58lbs both m&x. mostly semi western grip, 1HFH, use a 1HBH. utilize spin. like to serve flat and kickers.

Valjean
08-28-2007, 08:02 PM
There is still Tecnifibre's new one, Multifeel. Also, Laserfibre's Laser Supreme.

But I'd do Klip's Excellerator if I were you, looking for what you are.

jcstennis
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM
There is still Tecnifibre's new one, Multifeel. Also, Laserfibre's Laser Supreme.

i will definitely check out the Klip!!!;)

vsbabolat
08-28-2007, 08:42 PM
You might want to try the new Babolat Excel Power and new Babolat Excel Premium. They look interesting.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage.html?cref=2142

bagung
08-28-2007, 10:20 PM
klip excellerator....

jonolau
08-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Pro Supex Maxim Touch. Nice crisp multi that maintains tension very well.

backboard34
08-29-2007, 05:48 AM
If you want a multi with a crisper feel, nothing compares to Laserfibre Supreme. Nothing mushy about it. I have played many multis and not one stays as stable and consistent in my sticks as long as LF Supreme. You can play it til it breaks and not notice a drop in playability or tension.

I generally prefer a crisper, players multi string but if you like soft and want to stay on the softer but better tension holding, try NXT Tour or the LF Phenom. About the same in softness. I'd give a slight edge to Phenom for better tension holding and definitely a lot more durable. These two hold up the best of all the soft ones I tried. I try alot of multi's but always go back to supreme.

Ripper
08-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Yonex 850.

bsandy
08-29-2007, 06:17 AM
I think I'd look into Babolat Attraction or Wilson Reaction.

. . . Bud

goosala
08-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Gamma Revelation 16 or 17

Craig Sheppard
08-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Why not do a gut hybrid w/ Klip Legend? It's a crisp gut, and nothing beats the feel, tension maintenance, and playability. Do you string yourself? Can understand not wanting to try it if you don't...but if you do, you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying it. It works out w/ some Gosen OG crosses to be about the same as a high-end multi.

jcstennis
08-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Pro Supex Maxim Touch. Nice crisp multi that maintains tension very well.

jon... first off, hope all is well!

Pro Supex, i have done no research... is it easy to find in the states?

and... is it crisp enough that i may want to drop tension a bit to compensate for the softer string i have been playing?

thnx, j

GokuQ
08-31-2007, 12:39 PM
not cheap but try laserfibre prostock
awesome string, great combination of pop and control, and is def. crisper then phenom.....

jonolau
08-31-2007, 05:31 PM
jon... first off, hope all is well!

Pro Supex, i have done no research... is it easy to find in the states?

and... is it crisp enough that i may want to drop tension a bit to compensate for the softer string i have been playing?

thnx, j

Hi j,

Thanks, all is well! As you can see, my love affair with Dunlop has progressed to the next level. I'm now experimenting around with different Aerogels ... next one up is the Aerogel 100.

Pro Supex is quite easy to find in the States, and I also believe that it can be bought off the Bay.

Yes, you might want to drop tension by about 1-2 lbs from my experience.

todot62
09-01-2007, 01:38 AM
I agree with GokuQ...IMHO LF Prostock is far and away the best synthetic out there. Everyone says they have a string that is as close to gut as you can get, but IMHO nothing comes as close as LF Prostock. However, the problem with Prostock is it's only a couple of bucks cheaper than Tonic+. As far as I'm concerned for that price I'd rather have the gut. ;) Not to mention that you can put Tonic in the mains and a average synthetic in the crosses and tell VERY little difference between that and full gut for about $15 a racquet.

So, where to go? The string that has everything you want: crisp, feel, touch, control, life, maintain tension longer than...really anything out there; gut $25-$35 or a hybrid $15-$25.

Tod

jcstennis
09-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Why not do a gut hybrid w/ Klip Legend? It's a crisp gut, and nothing beats the feel, tension maintenance, and playability. Do you string yourself? Can understand not wanting to try it if you don't...but if you do, you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying it. It works out w/ some Gosen OG crosses to be about the same as a high-end multi.

unfortunately i do not string my own racquets... i have tried hybrids before... if i do not like a combination, i may be left with half sets of strings:(

jcstennis
09-01-2007, 04:18 PM
If you want a multi with a crisper feel, nothing compares to Laserfibre Supreme. Nothing mushy about it. I have played many multis and not one stays as stable and consistent in my sticks as long as LF Supreme. You can play it til it breaks and not notice a drop in playability or tension.

I generally prefer a crisper, players multi string but if you like soft and want to stay on the softer but better tension holding, try NXT Tour or the LF Phenom. About the same in softness. I'd give a slight edge to Phenom for better tension holding and definitely a lot more durable. These two hold up the best of all the soft ones I tried. I try alot of multi's but always go back to supreme.

thanks... all good points and suggestions! I will look into the LF brand... sounds good!

jcstennis
09-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi j,

Thanks, all is well! As you can see, my love affair with Dunlop has progressed to the next level. I'm now experimenting around with different Aerogels ... next one up is the Aerogel 100.

Pro Supex is quite easy to find in the States, and I also believe that it can be bought off the Bay.

Yes, you might want to drop tension by about 1-2 lbs from my experience.

i am on a hunt for some PS string now... ;)

i see, i see... Dunlop Aerogels, ehh? They sell like hot-cakes in my area! Now, i have been out of the Dunlop loop for awhile... what is the AG 100??? (i will search the racquet threads);)

jcstennis
09-01-2007, 04:26 PM

i re-read this quote... "looking for what you are"! i love it, very Yoda-like!:grin:

i will use that Jedi wisdom to help with choosing a new string!

iplaybetter
09-01-2007, 04:38 PM
try a hybrid with redcode it ads what u are looking for

jcstennis
09-01-2007, 04:48 PM
try a hybrid with redcode it ads what u are looking for

NRG2 and Redcode? Red m's and NRG x's... right?

or any multi and redcode?;)

volleyman
09-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Actually, iplaybetter might have been suggesting using NRG mains and Redcode crosses. That combination should give you most of the feel of NRG, but with a big increase in crispness, more spin, more control and slightly less power, based on my experiments with multifilament main/poly cross setups.

However, as I recall, NRG is rather soft for a multi, and the achilles heel of the multi (m)/poly (c) hybrid is durability. I suspect that 17 gauge NRG mains will not last long with Redcode crosses sawing at them. However, this might not be a problem, if you're regularly cutting out NRG strings before they break because they lose playability.

A good experiment would be to get a set of 16 gauge NRG and 17 gauge Redcode. String once with the NRG in the mains and Redcode in the crosses, and when that breaks, or in another racquet, reverse the set up.

jcstennis
09-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Actually, iplaybetter might have been suggesting using NRG mains and Redcode crosses. That combination should give you most of the feel of NRG, but with a big increase in crispness, more spin, more control and slightly less power, based on my experiments with multifilament main/poly cross setups.

However, as I recall, NRG is rather soft for a multi, and the achilles heel of the multi (m)/poly (c) hybrid is durability. I suspect that 17 gauge NRG mains will not last long with Redcode crosses sawing at them. However, this might not be a problem, if you're regularly cutting out NRG strings before they break because they lose playability.

A good experiment would be to get a set of 16 gauge NRG and 17 gauge Redcode. String once with the NRG in the mains and Redcode in the crosses, and when that breaks, or in another racquet, reverse the set up.

i like the idea of having 2 sticks, both strung hybrid, same strings but reverse set up for m's & x's! i gotta think about that more... interesting!:grin:

if i string the poly lower in tension (10% less) than the NRG, do you think it would still "saw" away at the string? (i gouess it does not matter... polys eat up multis in a hybrid set up...correct?)... i'm usually not a string breaker, that's why i can get away with a multi, plus i like the feel. I have played with SPPP full job and like it but it's not as lively as a multi... Is RedCode a soft poly?

is there a soft poly that has these characteristics: soft, feel, lively, control, power?... i must be dreaming... right?;)