PDA

View Full Version : How much extra power can you get from a string change?

bluetrain4
08-28-2007, 09:54 PM
I use Prince Diablo mid with a very "hard" string set up - Kevlar and syn gut at around 64 lbs.

I generally like this set up, but more and more, I feel my racquet is underpowered, and I tend to hit short when having play defensively. So, I've been searching for an easier swinging, more powerful frame.

But, It dawned on me that I could also try different string set ups to get more power and make it so I don't have to swing so hard on every ball.

Any suggestions?

OrangeOne
08-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I use Prince Diablo mid with a very "hard" string set up - Kevlar and syn gut at around 64 lbs.

I generally like this set up, but more and more, I feel my racquet is underpowered, and I tend to hit short when having play defensively. So, I've been searching for an easier swinging, more powerful frame.

But, It dawned on me that I could also try different string set ups to get more power and make it so I don't have to swing so hard on every ball.

Any suggestions?

1. Drop the tension
2. Drop the tension :)
3. Try poly!

....there's loads of options out there that will give you more juice. Without knowing what gauge you're using, you will get a little more power from your current setup if you can go to a slightly thinner gauge even...

ledor
08-28-2007, 10:33 PM
poly/natural gut hybrid
or
full multi

and yes drop tension.

jonolau
08-29-2007, 06:12 AM
I used to play with full kevlar for 8 years and am now using full poly.

Poply still provides stiffness and stiffness with a touch more comfort and feedback than kevlar.

The plus point is that poly almost never moves and this has totally eliminated irritating string movements.

I would suggest that you do a poly/syn gut hybrid.

Doc Hollidae
08-29-2007, 02:06 PM
I started encountering the same problem and felt like I was exerting way too much effort into keeping the ball deep. I string at the same tension (64 lbs) except with co-poly crosses. Recently I dropped the tension down to 60.5 lbs./62 lbs. and found a noticeable difference in depth. The solid feel of the kevlar was still there and there was still very little pocketing, but it was just enough to add some extra depth without sacrificing the control or spin the kevlar provides.

tbini87
08-29-2007, 02:08 PM
if you are really used to that set up you should just string it lower and see how that works. then switch from kevlar to poly if you need. and from there you could try anything else like syn gut and multi, but that might be too much of a switch.

Doc Hollidae
08-29-2007, 02:46 PM
I switched from kelvar to poly for a good 3 months or so. Even though poly is stiff, it still doesn't have that feeling of kevlar. As much as I liked the poly, the feel just wasn't the same so I eventually went back. Another option is to try different crosses, something like natural gut or something for some extra pop.

bluetrain4
08-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I know a alot of people will think I'm crazy for liking the "feel" of kevlar (b/c it really has no feel), but I'm just so used to it combined with syn gut.

I've tried a poly blend on a different racquet (never on the Diablo) and hated it. But, it wasn't a very good string job.

So, I'll drop the tension and then go from there.

I used Prince Synthetic Gut for years before swithcing to Kevlar/Syn Gut (currently Wilson Reaction), and I guess I could always go back to an all syn gut setup strung relatively tight, but not super tight, if I have to in order to get more power.

goosala
08-30-2007, 06:50 PM
If you don't want too radical of a change then use an all syn gut setup like Prince Syn Gut Duraflex or Original. Try the same tension and go from there.