PDA

View Full Version : BB Alu Rough good combination string?

tennistoronto123
08-28-2007, 09:26 PM
What do you recommend as a combination string with Alu Rough?

I seem to eat everything up with Alu Rough so far and so I am asking for your experience with other combinations, actually would prefer not to use natural gut if at all possible. It will help if you are a string breaker like me and usually right in the middle.

My priority for the other potential string;

1. Durability and sustain tension
2. Spin
3. Feel
in this order and then everything else........

Please respond if you have specific experience and know what tensions used otherwise through my own experience I find that many strings play siginificantly different at a variety of tensions.

Thanks in advance, will appreicate it and save alot of time and money hopefully!

tennistoronto123
08-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Currently playing the k90 and loving it.

chlsmo
08-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, I am not the most experienced player, but I do like gut with ALU Rough. I string my PS Tour 90 Fed style with the gut in the mains (With string savers too). I used to break strings once a week and I would use NRG2 Mains with TIMO crosses, and I play for about 2-2.5 hours a day 5-7 days a week. Playing the same amount, the Gut/ALU Rough combo has already lasted 2 weeks, and is still hitting well IMO. (I also just got this racquet so I havent really tried many combos yet. I just switched from the n6.1 95). P.S. Im probly a 3.0 maybe a little better, we will see at my tournament on Fri.

carguy
08-30-2007, 03:36 PM
why are you going with a hybrid setup if you are a string breaker? my experience with poly hybrids with softer string haven't very positive for the following reasons:

A. more frequent string breakage - the polys will notch the softer strings and break faster than an all poly setup
B. feel - i found hybrid to feel numb and provide minimal "pop" compared to an all poly setup unless you use gut and poly together.

as for your other criteria:

1. Durability and sustain tension
- you are concerned about tension loss, have your stringer pre-stretch the poly

that said, you can try prince topspin 15L with bb alu rough. it fits your requirements of durability and spin without scarficing much feel. it's not a very arm friendly combination which is why i'm not using that setup any more.

btw, are you a member at mayfair?

disclaimer - i'm a 3.5 level player that breaks 17g multis or 18g polys every 3weeks or so. my 16g and 17g poly (pht, bb alu rough or fluro) are restrung before they break due to tension loss and loss of feel.

tennistoronto123
02-24-2008, 05:58 PM
for some reason my post never showed up previously. Anyway tks for the reply and no I pay in Charlottetown TC in summer and Winter tennis club in the winter