PDA

View Full Version : Why is hitting on the rise considering difficult?

Golden Retriever
08-29-2007, 10:47 AM
For me, hitting on the rise is much easier than hitting on the fall where you have to go against gravity. I love hitting on the rise and I find it the easiest way to hit a ball. The only difficult part is that you have to get to the ball quicker before it falls but the hitting part is easy.

So why do people think hitting on the rise is more difficult than hitting on the fall? Am I talented or just weird?

AceofBase
08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
I guess you must been practicing on the wall alot to be able to do that, dont worried your the same as me.

Golden Retriever
08-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I guess you must been practicing on the wall alot to be able to do that, dont worried your the same as me.

So you mean I am not talented?:)

ho
08-29-2007, 10:58 AM
For me, hitting on the rise is much easier than hitting on the fall where you have to go against gravity. I love hitting on the rise and I find it the easiest way to hit a ball. The only difficult part is that you have to get to the ball quicker before it falls but the hitting part is easy.

So why do people think hitting on the rise is more difficult than hitting on the fall? Am I talented or just weird?
You are both and even more, as your name state, you obviously do not have a whole lot of time left to wait.

jmverdugo
08-29-2007, 10:59 AM
I guess it will depend a lot on the level of the person and your opponent. I have a friend that hit with so much topspin and speed that, for me, the only way to hit the ball back with my thbh is by taking the ball on the rise, and it is not even on the rise, it is most " as soon as it bounces". Otherwise the ball will bounce to high to fast. But i do rather to take the ball on the rise on both wings, i think that on the high levels, one way or another, is what people do most. Not that i am a high level player though ;)

AceofBase
08-29-2007, 11:22 AM
you are talented, just like me cause i know!

koopa_troopa
08-29-2007, 11:32 AM
The main reason why it is supposed to be harder is that the ball is faster right immediately after the bounce than it is after it has to time to rise and fall. And as you said, it requires good footwork and anticipation. Another reason is that flat shots and topspin shots will have very different bounce angles and can cause mishits when you hit on the rise.

I think you may feel it is easier for two reasons:

Since the ball is going faster at that point, your returns will be more powerful than normal, making your power shots seem effortless.

When you hit on the rise you hit the ball lower, this makes you bend your knees and swing more from low to high. This will force you to increase the topspin on the ball.

Generally I would like to hit on the rise, however when I play really good people it is not as easy. If they hit it fairly hard, I usually won't be able to make it in time.

Pr0DiGy
08-29-2007, 12:22 PM
The biggest deal is that after the ball strikes the court, it begins to lose much of it's momentum. Right after it bounces is probably when it's momentum is still decently high. After you give it a chance to bounce up, and fall down, most of its momentum is probably gone.

Power by counterpunching. The harder the ball is coming at you, the more hard it hits the racket, and likewise the harder the racket pushes back against the ball (Newton's law).

Basically what Koopa_troopa said. He made very good points.

burosky
08-29-2007, 12:39 PM

Being able to hit on the rise doesn't automatically make you talented. I'm not saying you are not talented. You could very well be.

It is difficult for a lot of people because the timing is different. However, it is something that can be learned.

LuckyR
08-29-2007, 12:54 PM
The timing isn't just "different" it is by definition quicker, therefore more difficult to get correctly and prone to larger errors when done less than perfectly.

In a game like tennis where consistency is important the ability to get it perfect 80% of the time (and imperfectly to the point of missing the shot 20%), essentially means if the other guy rallies 5 balls he'll beat you.

Slazenger
08-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Why is hitting on the rise considered difficult (for players not accustomed to doing it but learning it)?

Timing, positioning and swing.

Bagumbawalla
08-29-2007, 08:02 PM
People are different.

An older guy at the courts where I play can can hit drop shots all day fo winners against much younger players who can hit the ball hard, but have ignored nurturing their touch shots.

Some people find hitting 130 mph serves easier than spinning in their second serve which the bloop over the net at about 70 mph.

Another guy I know has a killer forehand but runs around his backhand whenever he can.

So, well, people just have different strokes they like or are good at.

Having said that, there ARE reasons hitting on the rise is considered more difficult.

a) You must get to the ball sooner and therefore have less reaction time to get in position.

b) People with "big" full strokes may have a problem adjusting and shorteniing their preparation.

c) The ball rising from the court is moving at an angle faster than a ball at the top of its crest or slightly below.

d) Some people have a psychological block to hitting low ball that are near to the net. They see the net almost as a towering obstruction.

So, though I agree with you, in general, that hitting on the rise is not as difficult as some people assume-- like almost anything about tennis, it requires practice. Many players, especially baseliners who thrive on consistancy and are happy just getting the ball back deep and letting the other player make mistakes, have no real motivation to change-- and so, never having learned the shot-- of course, they assume it is difficult.

mucat
08-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Also the spin factor. If you hit against a heavy topspin (with pace of course) player, you will have less time to judge how high the ball bounce.

kevhen
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Hitting on the rise against someone who hits hard and with lots of spin can be difficult to time since the ball will quickly jump up off the surface so you have to guess to where it will be when you hit it and will need to start swinging before it bounces.

If you opponent doesn't hit hard or with too much spin, then it is fairly easy to hit on the rise.

EricW
08-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Most likely because most good players have a large swing, and are playing people who hit tons of spin/pace. Sure, I could hit a compact, flat stroke and hitting on the rise would be easy, and I do that sometimes. Most people still swing big when hitting on the rise, and they shouldn't