PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme review by Drak

drak
08-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Bottom line is that I agree with Rabbit, this is a close to a TiMo type string as I have found. Strung at 55 lbs in a Babs Pure Storm.

Control - awesome, as close to TiMo as I have found. I had Cyberflash in before and much prefer Xtreme. Cyber had a lot of "flyers" but was not that much more powerful. With X the ball goes where you want it.

Power - Seemed like 15% or so more than TiMo but with same control.

Spin - excellent, about the same for me as TiMO, more than Cyberflash as well

Feel - way better than TiMo, nice "pocketing" like Rabbit said.

Comfort - Hit with a power hitter and feels good so far, but will reserve judgement for a few weeks. Does not seem to be a harsh string.

Additional Comments: Did not feel mushy or stiff, was just about right as far as that goes. If this string does not bother my arm/shoulder (over time) I will without a doubt makeit my string of choice.

Rabbit
08-29-2007, 06:00 PM
it's definetly some sweet stuff. I think you're really gonna like the tension maintenance too.

kirbster123
08-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Good review! Im going to try some in the near future. BTW hows the durability?

Rabbit
08-30-2007, 03:04 AM
I'm getting double the life of TiMo, about 20 hours. I attribute this to its greet tension maintenance.

drak
08-30-2007, 04:31 AM
I'm getting double the life of TiMo, about 20 hours. I attribute this to its greet tension maintenance.

When you say "20 hrs" I assume that is the "playing life" you are getting as opposed to the strings breaking? Agree that TiMo did go dead after 10 or so hrs. Nice to hear that tension maintenance is so good. No arm or shoulder probs so far?

Rabbit
08-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Yes, 20 hours on court. No problems with the wing so far. Really and truly, Xtreme feels great, especially compared to TiMo. In my book, it feels as good as something like ALU which is very comfortable.

Gmedlo
08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Yes, 20 hours on court. No problems with the wing so far. Really and truly, Xtreme feels great, especially compared to TiMo. In my book, it feels as good as something like ALU which is very comfortable.

It holds tension better even though it's .15mm thicker than TiMO? Dang, that's pretty impressive.

It seems expensive, but if it holds tension that long and has a great pocketing feel, it's exactly what I'm looking for in a poly.

All of the comments so far have been for a full job, right?

drak
08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
It holds tension better even though it's .15mm thicker than TiMO? Dang, that's pretty impressive.

It seems expensive, but if it holds tension that long and has a great pocketing feel, it's exactly what I'm looking for in a poly.

All of the comments so far have been for a full job, right?

Yes, full job.

Rabbit
08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Full job here as well.

And Xtreme is $12.95 here at TW compared to TiMo's $13.50. Doesn't that make it an even cheaper alternative? :)

Gmedlo
08-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Full job here as well.

And Xtreme is $12.95 here at TW compared to TiMo's $13.50. Doesn't that make it an even cheaper alternative? :)

So do you think Xtreme is a hands down winner against Timo? I'm making an order from TW anyway so I'd like to compare the best two polys I can (only 2 racquets :()

drak
08-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Yep, no question. After my second hit with it today I like it even more, simply great control and much better feel the TiMo

Rabbit
08-30-2007, 06:32 PM
So do you think Xtreme is a hands down winner against Timo? I'm making an order from TW anyway so I'd like to compare the best two polys I can (only 2 racquets :()

IMO, there are a few big differences between Timo and Xtreme. The first is that Xtreme is a better string at net. It feels better and affords you better feel at net; consequently, your net game improves with it. The next difference is the additional pop Xtreme has. It's definitely not power at the expense of control, it just serves easier than Timo. And lastly, it stays in your frame longer. Xtreme doesn't lose tension like everything Lux I've tried. It holds tension as well as any string of any type I've ever used.

I like it better because it fills the gaps that Timo has. It's comfortable, plays well all over the court, and gives you a little extra power.

Gmedlo
08-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Do you think Xtreme works better in hybrids or full? From the sound of it my arm could handle full, and it has enough pop.

Now that I think of it, I've yet to try full poly in my current racquets!

Rabbit
08-31-2007, 02:44 AM
I haven't done a hybrid with Xtreme yet. I may give it a whirl.

J011yroger
08-31-2007, 03:01 AM
I played the 18g version, (Got it free). Pocketed very nicely, volleys were very nice, and it was OK from the back court. But it wasn't nearly as good as ALU from the back court. It just didn't have that wicked bite off the ground.

Plus I would break the 18 in 20-30 mins of solid groundies. But I didn't like it enough to try the 16 which would be more realistic.

The string is something I would reccomend to dubs players, and touch and feel singles players looking for something a bit more durable than what they currently have.

J

drak
08-31-2007, 04:36 AM
I played the 18g version, (Got it free). Pocketed very nicely, volleys were very nice, and it was OK from the back court. But it wasn't nearly as good as ALU from the back court. It just didn't have that wicked bite off the ground.

Plus I would break the 18 in 20-30 mins of solid groundies. But I didn't like it enough to try the 16 which would be more realistic.

The string is something I would reccomend to dubs players, and touch and feel singles players looking for something a bit more durable than what they currently have.

J

Interesting, I thought the 16 gauge was better than ALU (similar gauge) from the back court, excellent spin and control was superb, net play is a bonus. Rackets and individual style has a lot to do with the "equation".

Gmedlo
08-31-2007, 10:26 AM

J

I looked around and couldn't find the 18g, is it not on the market yet?

In your opinion, what holds tension better, ALU or Xtreme? I realize it might be a useless question because of the gauge difference, but I am getting more and more interested in trying some Lux strings. Gotta be some reason 65% of pros use them...

drak
08-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Per Rabbit Xtreme is way better at holding tension than ALU which IMO is only okay. I have only had it in my frame for 5 days.

insiderman
08-31-2007, 11:13 AM
I've been told that the 18-gauge, (but should be called a 17L) is NOT an actual version - just something in the testing-stages - therefore, should not be reviewed as being a 'real' string yet - often times a Mfg will send out early prototype samples to get feedback & make corrections from those tests.

My buddy received a couple of these samples, and loved them! He said they had more durability then the ALU-Power he normally uses, and he hits the ball a 'ton'...

I've used the Xtreme only as a hybrid, (main's) and loved the 'feel' - Rabbit, you should give that a 'whirl'!

Rabbit
08-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Well, let me tell you what I did instead. I restrung 3 C10s today and lowered the tension to 51. If I liked it before, I'm definetly in love now. I am even more impressed. The drop in tension only enhanced the play of this string. I'm in love! Dang is it comfortable.

Hybrid, you say? Exactly what would you recommend I hybrid it with? I think putting gut in the crosses is a waste....but..

I do know that I'm fixing to have to order some more Xtreme....I think I"ve found my last racket and string...well at least until I hit Super Seniors :)

J011yroger
08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Interesting, I thought the 16 gauge was better than ALU (similar gauge) from the back court, excellent spin and control was superb, net play is a bonus. Rackets and individual style has a lot to do with the "equation".

I would guess that you are a flatter hitter. Correct?

J

J011yroger
08-31-2007, 05:31 PM

In your opinion, what holds tension better, ALU or Xtreme? I realize it might be a useless question because of the gauge difference, but I am getting more and more interested in trying some Lux strings. Gotta be some reason 65% of pros use them...

I am a bad person to ask about tension maintenence, I break/kill strings so fast I don't notice. Lucky to get 2 hitting sessions out of a stringjob.

J

J011yroger
08-31-2007, 05:36 PM

I've been told that the 18-gauge, (but should be called a 17L) is NOT an actual version - just something in the testing-stages - therefore, should not be reviewed as being a 'real' string yet - often times a Mfg will send out early prototype samples to get feedback & make corrections from those tests.

Yea, they asked me to review them for them, will post a pic of what I got.

My buddy received a couple of these samples, and loved them! He said they had more durability then the ALU-Power he normally uses, and he hits the ball a 'ton'...

No way. Absolutely no way. I cooked that Pacific 18 out of my bat in about 1/4 the time of ALU. It would be garbage if not broken in 20-30 mins of groundies with a good partner.

J

drak
09-01-2007, 06:17 AM
I would guess that you are a flatter hitter. Correct?

J

No, I hit a lot of top on the FH with a semi-western grip, flatter BH, the Xtreme works great goin flat or spinny IMO, nice spin for serve as well

J011yroger
09-01-2007, 03:48 PM
No, I hit a lot of top on the FH with a semi-western grip, flatter BH, the Xtreme works great goin flat or spinny IMO, nice spin for serve as well

Suppose we will have to add that one to the other 6 billion times I have guessed at something and been wrong :)

J