PDA

View Full Version : Hit the ball well in front means what?

morten
08-29-2007, 02:32 PM
In front as in more towards the net or in front as in relation to the body? I use a closed stance and my comfort zone is kind of "late" if you know what i mean... So hitting it too much towards the net makes it kind of awkward...

Wheelz
08-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I think it depends on the grip you're using on your forehand. Closed stance = Eastern ?

Supernatural_Serve
08-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Sometimes a video is worth a 1000 words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNPaZj4yn00

Notice how the ball is well in front of the body at contact.

This is true regardless of how open or closed your stance is, regardless whether you are hitting cross court or down the line, regardless if you are hitting a forehand or backhand (even more so).

The contact point is the same, its out front.

morten
08-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Eastern yeah, so in front means...? Say i stand sideways to hit a forehand, do i hit the ball as early as i can(closer to the left leg), or later(meaning closer to the belly)? Later will also mean in front IMO, i don't mean a cramped arm close to the body kind of shot...

Koz
08-29-2007, 03:38 PM
in front means more towards the net. You want to make contact with the ball when the ball is between you and the net. Don't let it get all the way to you. You want to make contact out near where your front foot is (if you're standing sideways, perpendicular to the net).