PDA

View Full Version : What are some strategies that will give you the edge over your opponent?

Steven87
08-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Lets name a whole bunch!

Drop shot and lob over to the opponent's backhand side

Messarger
08-30-2007, 01:40 AM
They can run around to their forehand and hiy an overhead smash, or smash on the 2nd bounce. Also, some players can do a backhand smash.

Steven87
08-30-2007, 02:18 AM
They can run around to their forehand and hiy an overhead smash, or smash on the 2nd bounce. Also, some players can do a backhand smash.
Well if you hit a nice deep lob with topspin, none of that will happen

Trainer
08-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Hit shots that your opponent doesn't like.

lolsmash
08-30-2007, 05:45 AM
Cut out the string on their racket and tell them the only extra racket you have is a ping-pong paddle.

On a serious note, run them around regardless of how fit they are. Some shots are harder to hit on the run anyway and they'll be playing defense most of the time. (Not everyone who plays tennis is Nadal and can hit ridiculous passing shots from 19 feet behind the baseline)

Steven87
08-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Its hard just running around tho

kevhen
08-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Strategies I use:
Hit lots of slice if my opponent is tall or uses a western grip.
Slow the ball down if my opponent is power player or counter puncher/blocker.
Hit to his backhand since probable about 80% of players have weaker backhands.
Hit crosscourt mostly since the court is longer and the net lower.

Verilious
08-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Strategies I use:
Hit lots of slice if my opponent is tall or uses a western grip.
Slow the ball down if my opponent is power player or counter puncher/blocker.
Hit to his backhand since probable about 80% of players have weaker backhands.
Hit crosscourt mostly since the court is longer and the net lower.

Pretty much the exact same thing I do. Nice tip on low slice if opponent uses western grip, forgot that one.

gonevcrazy
08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
hit the ball where the opponent isn't

TENNIS_IS_FUN
08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
I think winning the match will give you the biggest edge over your opponent

Bagumbawalla
08-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Pretty much, I think, you'll find that suggestiions will fall under certain broader categories of ideas.

a) Play percentage tennis-- keep the ball in play-- scrap to get every ball back- go for the least risky shot/placement, wear the opponent down with consistancy.

b) Limit your opponent's options-- keep your shots deep (and low, if possible), keep pressure on the opponent, make the opponent run. Hit flat balls to steal their time. Hit high bouncing topspin to force then to hit awkward high balls.

c) Don't let the opponent groove to your shots. Vary your placements, Vary your spin and pace.

d) Be observant. Watch for patterns in your opponent's play, look for weaknesses. Try not to give then shots that they like.

e) Work on combinations of shots designed to open up the court or elicit weak responses. For example, drive them wide with a serise of shots to the forehand and wait for a return to mid court-- then hit an angled shot to the backhand and follow it to the net. Push them back with strong, deep topspin and wait for a shallow response, then try a dropshot and folow to the net. Force the opponent in with a low, short (sliced) ball, then topspin lob over the opponent's head.

ProStaff Legend
08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
jam them by hitting either with lots of pace or spin deep, right into there body. works with serves too

P-Town Tennis
08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
If the opponent has a 1hbh hit a topspin serve to there backhand and loopy shots to their backhand.

shutupova
08-31-2007, 12:39 AM
complement your opponent. ** cleverly ** :)