PDA

View Full Version : Arm-Friendly Cyberflash & Biphase X1 Hybrid

willroc7
08-30-2007, 05:25 AM
I just ordered a set of Technifibre Biphase X-one 16 gauge and Topspin Cyberflash 17 gauge strings from tennis warehouse to be put on my nsix-one 95 16x18 racquets. I have some problems with my elbow and, to a lesser extent, my shoulder when I play two or more days in a row. I also have a habit of breaking my cross strings before the mains are showing any major wear.

My string history with these racquets is as follows. I first had a string job of all luxilons (not sure what kind or tension), and it was way too harsh on my arm. Next I tried a full job of Wilson Reaction 16 strings at 52lbs. I liked the way they played but the strings moved around a lot and I broke the crosses after about a month of moderate play. When the reactions broke, 3 different cross strings were very frayed and about to break, while the mains were relatively fine. Finally, I tried a hybrid of Luxilon Alu Big Banger @ 54lbs in the mains and Babolat Xcel premium @ 57lbs in the crosses. I was hoping to get more durability from the luxilon mains while keeping some comfort from the babolats. I found I could swing a little harder than with the reactions while keeping the ball in, but the cross strings broke after about the same amount of time. Arm comfort was better than all luxilons by far, but slightly worse than all reaction. So this is what I was thinking about for my next string job:

Mains: Technifibre Biphase X-one 16 @ 56lbs
Crosses: Topspin Cyberflash 17 @ 53lbs

I'm considering putting the cyberflash in the crosses since I seem to wear them down faster for some reason. It's also my understanding that the main strings will dominate the characteristics of the string bed, so I will get the most comfort possible out of the technifibre. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Will this last longer than a whole job of technifibre? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sliceboy2
08-30-2007, 05:40 AM
I issues using poly strings from my elbow to my wrist. After trying different combinations, I had settle to SPPP 17 Mains at 54 lbs and X1 Biphase at 52 lbs. SPPP on mains gives me more pop and control as oppose to if I had the X1 biphase on the mains. I still break the X1 biphase first nomatter where I place them, good 12 to 15 hours of playing. These two strings gives good tension hold IMO.

kirbster123
08-30-2007, 06:20 AM
A full job of Tecnifibre X-one Biphase should last longer than a hybrid with Topspin Cyberflash. The poly crosses will saw through the mains faster than a full job.

willroc7
08-30-2007, 06:22 AM
A full job of Tecnifibre X-one Biphase should last longer than a hybrid with Topspin Cyberflash. The poly crosses will saw through the mains faster than a full job.

Don't people get poly hybrids to increase durability or have I been misinformed?

Dangus
08-30-2007, 06:37 AM
Don't people get poly hybrids to increase durability or have I been misinformed?

People hybrid to get more comfort usually.

Stan
08-30-2007, 06:52 AM
Here's the problems with your thinking.

1. The CyberFlash will saw through the Bi-Phase faster than Vick finding God.

2. While generally the stringbed takes on the characteristics of the mains, copolymers have very strong characteristics and they DOMINATE the stringbed when used in hybrid with softer strings.

No, this setup will not last longer than a full BiPhase setup.

Stan has spoken.

willroc7
08-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Ok, I will try stringing the entire racquet with x-one biphase. Thanks for the input.

Ripper
08-30-2007, 08:18 AM
1. The CyberFlash will saw through the Bi-Phase faster than Vick finding God.

Only if the CF is on the crosses. So, put it on the mains, if durability is an issue.

willroc7
08-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Only if the CF is on the crosses. So, put it on the mains, if durability is an issue.

This was my intention with my first hybrid (luxilon mains, babolat xcel X), but I didn't get any more durability than all wilson reaction. For some reason, I break cross strings rather than mains, which is why I thought about putting the stronger string in the crosses.

PED
08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
If you do pursue the hybrid. I also believe that you would be better off with 16g cyberflash in the crosses as opposed to the smaller 17g crosses. The 17g crosses would act like a knife on the mains. The tendency would be for the cyberflash to saw through the x1 anyway but the 17g would just exacerbate this. I would think that cyberflash is a fairly soft poly so it would not kill you to use it in the mains. I've been using a poly main/syn gut crosses and love the power and comfort. I prefer the syn gut to a multi because it has less pop.

I'm not much of a stringbreaker myself but even i went through Xcel in a week..very very soft string. You might want to retry with another multi.

willroc7
08-31-2007, 04:09 AM
What tensions would you recommend if I were to put the cyberflash in the mains and the biphase in the crosses?

PED
09-01-2007, 09:36 AM
I would run 55 mains and 57 crosses or

54 mains 56 crosses. I don't like dropping below 54 but that's just my personal preference.