PDA

View Full Version : Want the power and softness of NRG with no string movement. Suggestions ?

Flexpoint Fire
08-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Long time NRG-17 user ( 6-7 years ). Strung one of my racquets with BB ALU Florou 17 and did not have to move the strings once through a whole set. Slightly thinner than NRG and it gave me good bite, but not that plush somewhat muted feel I love from NRG.

I don't like strings that many people call "Crisp". I can feel the ball sinking into the stringbed. I don't need the accompanied banjo thwang of a crisp string.

Thanks

Valjean
08-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Just specify or string the crosses 2-3 lbs. tighter than the mains, and install string savers.

sruckauf
08-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Did you go full ALU or a hybrid? If you went full, I'd suggest trying the ALU in the mains, and the NRG2 in the crosses. You'll get the bite, control, and lack of string movement benefit of the ALU you like, but the NRG2 will soften it up a lot. (and give you more power than a full ALU setup)

neverstopplaying
08-30-2007, 09:36 AM
I like NRG2 also but when stringing in the mid-fifties, I get a lot of string movement. I don't find that it plays great fo a long period of time.

You can try a hybrid with NRG-2 in the crosses and a soft poly in the mains; in theory you should get more topspin but I find a lot less of the NRG feel - I use this sometimes but I don't think that I'll do it again.

I've been playing more with gut recently. Gut is more powerful. I string at around 60# instead of 55#, so I get very little sting movement and similar power and feel to NRG. Gut costs twice as much to buy, but lasts me much longer.

If you want to keep the cost down, so can also try using gut in the mains and a synthetic gut such as Gosen sheep micro (or other) in the crosses. Will cost about the same and NRG2 , will last longer and much less string movement. Do a search as I'm not sure what best tension for the crosses would be, but I would guess the same or similar to the mains.

neverstopplaying
08-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Just specify or string the crosses 2-3 lbs. tighter than the mains, and install string savers.

I found that NRG2 loses a lot of feel when strung over 58#, so I had to live with the string movement..

Flexpoint Fire
08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
I have my shortened O3 Tour OS strung @ 58 right now and that seems to be the sweet spot for feel and control. I had Klip Legend Gut (1.20mm) @ 60 lbs. before and still prefered the muted/comfy feel of the NRG. I've never tried a hybrid mix before. Would something like BB Rough being textured hold the NRG in place? Which would go in the crosses? Lux says to drop tension 10 %. Does that mean in a hybrid setup also?

Yea, I know I need to change my screen name from Flexpoint Fire.

carac
08-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Long time NRG-17 user ( 6-7 years ). Strung one of my racquets with BB ALU Florou 17 and did not have to move the strings once through a whole set. Slightly thinner than NRG and it gave me good bite, but not that plush somewhat muted feel I love from NRG.

I don't like strings that many people call "Crisp". I can feel the ball sinking into the stringbed. I don't need the accompanied banjo thwang of a crisp string.

Thanks

Try Luxilon Supersense, then maybe some hybrids ...