PDA

View Full Version : Instructional Videos

topgun78956
08-30-2007, 09:43 AM
http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=781427603448&itm=3

has anybody heard anything about that video, or instructor? im not sure if it will be worth the money..... any ideas??:confused:

the Town Sherif
08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
please see this thread for reviews

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=109629

burosky
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
The synopsis talks about the video being designed to get everyone hitting with the speed and accuracy of Andy Roddick and Maria Sharapova. Wow!

Go ahead and buy the video. Maybe in the near future we will see you on the pro tour. ;-)

Seriously, any claims like this automatically make me suspicious about the material. If the claim is for real, even the low ranking touring pros would be buying this and getting rid of their coaches.

burosky
08-30-2007, 09:59 AM
The synopsis talks about the video being designed to get everyone hitting with the speed and accuracy of Andy Roddick and Maria Sharapova. Wow!

Go ahead and buy the video. Maybe in the near future we will see you on the pro tour. ;-)

Seriously, any claims like this automatically make me suspicious about the material. If the claim is for real, even the low ranking touring pros would be buying this and getting rid of their coaches.

Based on the various responses to the posts on this forum, it looks like I may have jumped the gun on this one. If those responses are true, the synopsis from barnes and noble didn't do justice for this instructional video.

adamvann
08-30-2007, 02:37 PM
burosky...That you did. After I bought the DVD, I was able to get together with Clint and work out with him. He's the real deal bro and a nice guy. Clint's also the coach of an ATP pro.

burosky
08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Based on the various responses to the posts on this forum, it looks like I may have jumped the gun on this one. If those responses are true, the synopsis from barnes and noble didn't do justice for this instructional video.

If Clint does come across this post, I apologize. There are lots of pretenders out there and have been burned a couple times. I should have gone further than just looking at the synopsis from Barnes & Noble before posting anything.

cstephenson
08-30-2007, 09:05 PM
If Clint does come across this post, I apologize. There are lots of pretenders out there and have been burned a couple times. I should have gone further than just looking at the synopsis from Barnes & Noble before posting anything.

Synopsis
All Movie Guide
Forget the traditional approach to tennis, because now Clint Stephenson bridges the gap between the professional and the recreational player in an informative instructional release designed to get everyone hitting with the speed and accuracy of Andy Roddick and Maria Sharapova. Update your game as a the information in Stephenson's best-selling books comes to the screen to offer innovative lessons in power, top spin, and the revolutionary "push versus pull" theory. Jason Buchanan

Hello Burosky,

What a fantastic review! I haven't read this one yet. This guy may have been a little over enthusiastic when he wrote it. The idea of the video is to show people how to play tennis the way the pro's do by using your core muscles and major muscle groups. The two fundamentals are "Push vs. Pull" and "Bent Arm vs. Straight Arm". These two fundamentals are applied to eight shots and in those shots I go over grip, preparation, swing and hitting zone or contact point. I think when people start really rotating their torso and using "trunk rotation" instead of "weight placement" they may feel like they are playing in a way that is closer to what they see pro's doing and the results can be fairly promising. That may be where he came up with the whole Roddick sharapova thing. Although I'm glad he's excited about it. Also watching is a great way to learn and if you have a better grasp of what the pro's bodies are doing during their shots you can learn a whole lot more. If you did buy the DVD I would love to hear your feedback as I am always trying to improve things for future DVD's. I think as teaching pro's the more we can learn and the better we communicate new material will make us better teaching pro's and ultimately preserve our profession. Anyway thanks for taking the time to check things out and if you happen to be in NY for the Open I'll be there tomorrow, I'm doing a couple of appearances at the USTA Member Appreciation day, one in the morning and one at night. I would love to hear from or meet anyone from the forums. Take care and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Clint

shutupova
08-31-2007, 12:37 AM
i am on the negative side about that video.

the video itself is pretty good. he explains what the modern swings are
in a nutshell.

what it lacks is that he does not say how to train.

i felt that it was kind of expensive while the dvd itself is good.
but i can't judge its value for you.
i would advise you to go to totalvid . com and see it for youself.
if it works for you, then you can buy it.

just my 2 cents

topgun78956
08-31-2007, 04:20 AM
if Clint looks at this i hope he will answer my main question; what muscle groups should i train to get more power in my shots(and please don't say all of them). Im sure core is very important but is there anything in the upper body that would help with explosive power?

cstephenson
08-31-2007, 05:28 AM
if Clint looks at this i hope he will answer my main question; what muscle groups should i train to get more power in my shots(and please don't say all of them). Im sure core is very important but is there anything in the upper body that would help with explosive power?

Hey Topgun,

Most of the explosive power from the upper body does come from the core but there are also exercises you can do for your forearm wrist and rotator cuff. A good way to do this is with a stretch band and tie it around a door or even the net post. You will see a lot of the pro's doing this before they play to warm up and strengthen their arm. As for the exercises I'm not sure how to explain them in text maybe someone knows a book or video that would have these? Also a lot of physical therepists use these bands for strengthening so if you know one maybe ask what would be the proper exercises and rubber band for you. I hope this helps. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

Clint

burosky
08-31-2007, 08:58 AM
One good resource for excercises is a book titled "Complete Conditioning for Tennis". The book sells here at tenniswarehouse for $15.99.