PDA

View Full Version : UCLA anyone??

mmeyer1
08-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey everyone,
Does anybody attend UCLA? I just got accepted as a transfer, and I am going to be looking for a hitting partner(s), and I was wondering if anybody was in the area and was interested in hitting. I have been playing about 2 years, and am well versed in doubles and singles play. I was thinking of joining an intramural tennis team, so if anyone has any information, or if anybody just wants to meet sometime to hit a few balls around, let me know!
ps: My computer NTRP is 3.0, but people tell me I should self rate at 3.5.
Thanks,
-Miles

scotus
08-30-2007, 01:19 PM
I attended UCLA in the late 80s and early 90s when Mark Knowles and Davide Sanguinetti played there.

Sorry to say this, but UCLA is full of former high school greats. A lot of Varsity #1's, many state champions--just great players who for some reason could not make it to div. 1 college tennis or chose not to pursue tennis in college.

Back when I was there, they used to hold intramural tennis tournaments regularly, but a 3.5 will not go past the first round. But if they have intramural teams that allow intermediate players, then join them by all means.

Flyingpanda
08-30-2007, 02:53 PM
I go to UCLA. I'd be happy to hit with you sometime, I'm probably around 2.5-3.0. There's a pretty good club, I'm going to join it this year.

mmeyer1
08-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Well thanks for the responses guys. I know there is going to be a huge amount of talent at UCLA but I am not worried, because I always elevate my game to the occasion, and have hit regularly with Div1 players at the tennis club I am a part of. I figured I would join the intermediate level intramural teams and try to work my way up from there. Also, any other Bruins out there let me know if you would want to hit sometime.
-Miles

drhopz
08-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Yea, i'm at UCLA right now for their freshmen summer program. I've been really busy lately w/ hw and such, but i manage to squeeze tennis in between. The intramural clubs charge like 40bucks per quarter i think.

mmeyer1
08-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey do you know when the intramural season starts? I couldn't find much information through their website. And btw I will try to PM all you UCLA heads when I move into my apt on the 8th of september. I would like to try and meet more ppl and hitting partners asap before classes start.
-miles

MTChong
08-30-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't actually go to UCLA, but one of my good friends does. He told me that one of the kids that used to play in our high school league and was ranked #2 or #3 in our league in singles had lots of trouble even playing intramural.

That said though, there are tons of people at UCLA that play; you should be able to find a partner quite easily.

Fee
08-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Miles, I know this guy who is going to start there in January. He's about 6'5" tall, kind of thinnish, girlish calves, small wrist, oddly large sized head, curly hair, blue eyes. Kind of plays like a wounded giraffe, or like a guy with a chronic back injury. I'm sure he'll want to hit once or twice a week. Answers to the nickname 'Gimel'.

Flyingpanda
08-31-2007, 11:06 AM
There is plenty of talent at UCLA. It's a hotbed of former high school standouts and even some people who played in the juniors and decided not to pursue tennis as a career or college sport. However, there's 3 intramural levels A, B, and C. Also there's plenty of people to just hit with. Um I don't know the website off the top of my head but I'll link it here later.

mmeyer1
09-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will be moving in on the weekend of the 8th of september so I will seek some partners out and see where I stand.
-Miles

Fedace
09-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey everyone,
Does anybody attend UCLA? I just got accepted as a transfer, and I am going to be looking for a hitting partner(s), and I was wondering if anybody was in the area and was interested in hitting. I have been playing about 2 years, and am well versed in doubles and singles play. I was thinking of joining an intramural tennis team, so if anyone has any information, or if anybody just wants to meet sometime to hit a few balls around, let me know!
ps: My computer NTRP is 3.0, but people tell me I should self rate at 3.5.
Thanks,
-Miles

Does UCLA have club tennis ??

mmeyer1
09-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah I think they do, but that requires you to like travel to other schools to play i think. i don't really know if I could make time for all that, I'm pre-med after all.
-Miles

lethalfang
09-02-2007, 12:25 AM
www.playtennisatucla.com

Fedace
09-02-2007, 12:32 AM
;) ;) www.playtennisatucla.com

Very nice, good for them, they have extensive tennis program. good Intramural program too. Actually that is pretty nice way to meet girls too.;)

Flyingpanda
09-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Yeah we have a club team and a tennis club. The club team won nationals lol.

mmeyer1
09-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey,
I finally am all moved in and am ready to start playing. Flying Panda I am ready to take you up on your offer if you are still interested in hitting sometime, as well as anyone else in the area who is interested. My email is miles623@gmail.com , so let me know if you want to hit sometime this week.
-Miles

marklbucla
09-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Another Bruin here.

Yeah, I remember going to the LATC and even the Sunset Commons courts (or whatever that set of suites is called now) and thinking that the competition was pretty stiff there.

So where are you transferring from?

goober
09-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah we have a club team and a tennis club. The club team won nationals lol.

Actually Texas A&M have won the national club championships 4 years in a row although UCLA sent two teams and did pretty well.

http://www.texas.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=423000&itype=995&icategoryid=207

mmeyer1
09-11-2007, 09:53 PM
I am transferring from San Jose City College in Northern california's bay area. I am not phased by stiff competition because I have hit with many skilled players, I am just concerned about not having anybody to hit with in my down time now that I am not in class. I used to play all the time at Clubsport fremont where I live but now I am having withdrawals from not playing any tennis for almost a week. I guess I will resort to going to the courts alone to hit serves and try to find people to hit with until someone gets in touch with me.
-Miles

Flyingpanda
09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey, I'm not at LA yet lol. I'll be there like next weekend, right before school starts.

Flyingpanda
09-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Actually Texas A&M have won the national club championships 4 years in a row although UCLA sent two teams and did pretty well.

http://www.texas.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=423000&itype=995&icategoryid=207

I stand corrected, but either way our club team is pretty good.

mmeyer1
09-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Oh ok, Just let me know when your in town then man, btw what year in school are you?

Flyingpanda
09-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Third year. I'm living on Gayley this year.

mmeyer1
09-12-2007, 04:54 PM
same here, but I'm on Kelton, a lil further away.

marklbucla
09-12-2007, 07:39 PM
So what are the rents like nowadays? About 7 years ago I was in 516 Glenrock paying $1600 for a 2 Bedroom.

mmeyer1
09-12-2007, 08:16 PM
lol 1600 was the cheapest I could find for a ONE bedroom on Kelton. Closest I could find to that was like 1725. 2 bedrooms are like at least 2000, but more like 2250/month by where i live. Its ridiculous.

marklbucla
09-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Dang. I'm going to school now at Alabama and paying $430 for a 1 bedroom within walking distance to campus.