PDA

View Full Version : mental tricks

sapient007
08-30-2007, 04:54 PM
i can hit pretty well on both wings during pratice and warm ups. however once the actual match starts, my game slowly goes to the shiets. I think i'm trying to do too much with the shots and not relaxing.. but how does one train to relax during a game situation?? my record currently is sinking fast.

edit:

let me add,
1. i have had very limited to none match play exp before this yr
2. I feel like i can serve it fast during warm up but really afraid to hit some body during actual play
3. I feel like during warm ups i can volley decently but during match, i end up framing a lot

overall i think i break down mentally all over the place and it's frustrating to see it all deteriorate

ProStaff Legend
08-30-2007, 05:46 PM
get lots and lots of matchplay

soggyramen
08-30-2007, 06:03 PM
i can hit pretty well on both wings during pratice and warm ups. however once the actual match starts, my game slowly goes to the shiets. I think i'm trying to do too much with the shots and not relaxing.. but how does one train to relax during a game situation?? my record currently is sinking fast.

edit:

let me add,
1. i have had very limited to none match play exp before this yr
2. I feel like i can serve it fast during warm up but really afraid to hit some body during actual play
3. I feel like during warm ups i can volley decently but during match, i end up framing a lot

overall i think i break down mentally all over the place and it's frustrating to see it all deteriorate

1. that's a big problem fix it by playing matches
2. who cares if you hit some one just apologize to them i'd rather hit an ace and hit someone that lose a first serve any day
3. you're tense and/or could be second guessing yourself in the middle of preparation

Bodacious DVT
08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
dont be too concerned about your record. you cant be afraid of losing, as its part of the learning experience. you often learn more from a loss than a win.

if you're interested, try picking up a copy of Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert. that book changed my mentality and i dont tense up nearly as much.

sapient007
08-30-2007, 07:40 PM
aprox how many games did it take for you to switch on that light and say.. hey, it's not that bad.

i've had ppl tell me that my game should be better than what i display on court. I think if i keep this up, i'll be as mentally fragile as glass.

lakis92
08-31-2007, 01:24 PM
You'd better play as much practise matches as you can. Schedule matches with everyone available. Even worse players with more experience than you.

burosky
08-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Play within yourself. Don't hit shots people think you can hit. Hit shots you know you can hit. Focus on your execution. Play percentage tennis. Prior to a match, devise a game plan and stick to it (only adjust if it is obviously not working). Don't make winning the match your sole criteria for success. You can find success without winning if you know you played the match the way you want to play. The wins will come.

AceofBase
08-31-2007, 03:09 PM
just relax and thing its a practice match and not a real match.