PDA

View Full Version : Questions about luxy strings/thinking of trying bb ace...

UW_Husky88
08-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey,

I strung my new nBlades at different tensions to see which feel I like better. At first I really liked the one strung at 60, but as the match went on and I got more tired, I began to hit a lot of sitters, and my forehand went to s*** with no depth, and just a bunch of high spin at the service line, which was just what my opponent needed. My racket strung at 54, however, IS PERFECT!! I'm able to get so much power off of both wings, and my serve is a lot better as well! So my first question is, given that I normally string my rackets with other stuff at around 60, does luxilon seriously REQUIRE you to string it 10% lower, and is that the reason why my 60 perhaps feels like crap?

All that being said, I'm still really wanting to try the big banger ace. Its a bit cheaper (considerably cheaper if you buy a reel), and I've heard that its a bit softer. Although I've had no problems with the 54 once I bought damps (but I had some problems with the 60), I do sometimes feel like the string bed, even in my flexy nBlade feels like a board, and hitting slices feels a lot different. Since Ace is supposed to be a bit softer, I was thinking about trying it, but here are my concerns:

a. I will get too much power. Although I'm looking for a bit more power, I'm worried that this brand new string will give me too much power and the shots will fly on me. For those that have tried BBR and Ace, would you suggest maybe tightening up the string bed a little bit to 56-57 if there is a huge difference in power.
b. Although I like thinner strings, I'm worried that this string will break way too easily. I'm not demanding a whole lot from them, but at least 3-4 weeks of hitting with a fair amount of spin is all I ask from them, and I'm worried that the ace is too thin to allow for this.

sorry for the long post, but your opinions are appreciated.

thanks

PS: If you know any other luxy strings that are durable, have more power, and are cheaper than both ace and BBR, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I'm afraid that BBR is a bit too expensive, and although price isn't a gigantic concern, I'd still like to keep my costs down to a minimum.

UW_Husky88
08-31-2007, 07:16 AM
bump???????????

mileslong
08-31-2007, 07:29 AM
i love lux ace, its my favorite poly sting, great spin and soft for a poly and has good tension retention. you might also try signum pro poly plasma and lux flouro as well.

UW_Husky88
08-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Is it durable though? And have you ever played with BBR? If you have, how do the two compare in terms of power vs. control?

UW_Husky88
08-31-2007, 08:23 PM
bump again plz??

Gmedlo
08-31-2007, 08:40 PM
bump again plz??

Don't you hate how everyone on TT holds Lux strings in poor regard simply because of the price, making it harder for those of us that haven't tried some of them to find a good one?

It gets really annoying.

TravelinMan
09-01-2007, 08:29 AM
OK, I've been using BB Ace for about a year and really like the string. I string it with NXT 17s. Have this on a PDR at 60lbs each to control the power of the racquet. I also switch several months ago to putting the Ace on the crosses and the NXT on the mains. Made a BIG difference in control. I've just strung this setup on a Prince Speedport Black at 56lbs. The control and touch that I am getting with the Black really make me feel good about the purchase but I may push it to 58lbs on the next string job. With the thin strings I can get a lot of spin and I mostly slice my BH and hit a flat FH. Have never broken a string.

Hope this helps.

UW_Husky88
09-01-2007, 10:03 AM
well I'm not looking to hybrid at all. I like full poly, but from your post I can basically take in that its a control string, so my current tension should suffice, correct?

TravelinMan
09-01-2007, 07:05 PM
well I'm not looking to hybrid at all. I like full poly, but from your post I can basically take in that its a control string, so my current tension should suffice, correct?

Most definitely, the thinness will allow for a lot of bite on the ball. String it at your regular tension and see how it plays. The only full poly I've tried was BB Rough, which I thought was a little too harsh. Since then I've always mixed in NXT to soften it up.