PDA

View Full Version : Power Pads And Stringing Crosses first? And how to wrap a leather grip?

Milano
08-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi, I have some questions:

1. For power pads, where do you put them? Also, would it be of any use to put them on a PSC 6.1 (just want t try them)? And Finally, I just bought 3 of TW's Private Label Leather grips and was wondering if I cut some of the excess would that suffice for power pads, or is it something completely different?

2. Is there a special way to wrap a leather grip? Anything to do with the excess instead of throwing it out?

3. Can you string the crosses first? Just wondering because it seems easier as you have to weave more in one shot instead of having to weave through 16 mains 18 times, you only have to weave through 18 crosses 16 times.

Thanks!

Also, I am going to try and paint one of my PSC and was wondering if anyone has any tips or older threads which I may have missed. If you have anything helpful on making a nice solid black 'glossy' coat, please email me at milanoy2k@yahoo.com

dancraig
08-30-2007, 07:30 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/video/replacegrip.html

Steve Huff
08-30-2007, 08:42 PM
1. Most obvious--no, do not string the crosses first.
2. Using the excess leather CAN be used as power pads. I also use them to Shoo Goo into the toes of my shoes (I cut them into little pieces). It helps them last longer when you're a toe-dragger.
3. Wrapping a leather grip--ideally, you need to staple the end to the handle. Then, put some 2-sided tape on the handle if the leather grip doesn't have an adhesive back (most don't). Wrap tight, overlap only a small amount so you'll get a nice groove for fingers to feel.

Maestro Nalbandian
12-14-2007, 05:05 AM
3. Wrapping a leather grip--ideally, you need to staple the end to the handle. Then, put some 2-sided tape on the handle if the leather grip doesn't have an adhesive back (most don't). Wrap tight, overlap only a small amount so you'll get a nice groove for fingers to feel.

How necessary is't to staple the end? I have got the same TW leather grip I want to wrap it myself but don't have a staple gun. Can I just use doublesided tape?

hoodjem
12-14-2007, 07:14 AM
I have a newer Wilson racquet (see sig), and the butt cap has a really neat "slice flap" as part of the butt cap that holds the leading end of the grip in place. All you have to do is tuck the end of the grip in there and it is firmly held in place exactly where it should be.

No stapling needed or necessary. I'm not sure if other racquet manufacturers have similar devices, but this one really takes a lot of the headache and variability out of the process.

I always have to rewrap the grips on all my racquets becasue I like to feel the V-shaped indentations between the spiral, and this device makes it so much easier.

Steve Huff
12-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm not going to tell you that stapling is absolutely necessary. But, it sure helps on leather grips. You really should pull them tight, but it's possible to do after you get the first "overlap". In the past (on my own rackets), I have used a small tack instead of staples. I just couldn't get a staple to go through the graphite on my PK 5gs. I haven't used a leather grip for a while. Maybe I'll wrap one without stapling and see how it stays in place. If you don't pull them really tight, you'll find that they will begin to separate at the overlap,usually in a spot where your finger is placed. It might not make much difference if you use an overgrip. Good thing about leather is that if it comes off, you take it home and put it back on. It doesn't rip apart like the synthetic grips do.

lethalfang
12-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Almost all mounting systems on stringing machines are designed for mains to be strung first.
The inside mounting points at 6 and 12-o'clock are designed to prevent inward flex of the frame when you string mains. It does not prevent the expansion of these points when you string crosses first.
If you have 6-point mount with 4 outside mounting points, the 4 outside mounting points are designed to prevent the outward flex of these points during stringing of the mains. It does not prevent the inward flex if you string crosses first.

LoveThisGame
12-18-2007, 05:43 PM
An office stapler will work on some grips; it depends on the material of the grip that it has to penetrate.

The idea is to have something to help hold the grip end while wrapping and while playing. Double-faced tape can so that job if necessary.