PDA

View Full Version : Hitting through the ball tips

zenmaster
08-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Any tips to help me hit through the ball? I have a tendency to whip my forehand over really fast, resulting in little pace and accuracy.

POGforEver
08-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Try reaching for the other side of the court making sure that you have full extension to go into your follow through with. When I was younger my coach emphasized reaching to the other side of the court, also this makes the ball stay on your strings a little longer as opposed to whipping your racquet off the ball. You're result will most likely be deeper balls. Good luck!

10s talk
08-30-2007, 10:15 PM
imagine hitting through 6-8 snowballs

Solat
08-31-2007, 03:04 AM
imagine hitting thru 3 balls in a straight line rather then just the one ball

AceofBase
08-31-2007, 04:04 AM
Try hitting though the ball before whipping it, hit it straight and then whip it.

10s talk
08-31-2007, 06:24 AM
avoid circular swing

ho
08-31-2007, 08:53 AM
There is many ways, but none of the above work, they are all quality tip and good tip, however it can hardly work when you hit the ball. you really do not have time to think or to imagine. No offense then.
The easiest way is to hit on the side, it hard not to hit thru the ball when you hit on the side.
Inside-out make your elbow go straight, you hit thru
Launche your hitting shoulder into the hit: your left hand instead of waving around, drop to your chest and stay there, you right shoulder will forced to launche forward.
Instead of pointing your racket to the fence at the beginning of the forward motion, pointing to the side post, your swing will be out-in. with the combination of your trunk rotation, will will make your racket go straight.
It all depend on the way to hit the ball, one of those may help.

Loco4Tennis
08-31-2007, 09:43 AM
imagine hitting thru 3 balls in a straight line rather then just the one ball

i second this tip,
but also if you hold/extend for a split second the trajectory of your hit before you start you follow through, that will give you better direction control and also the deept your looking for,

burosky
08-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Any tips to help me hit through the ball? I have a tendency to whip my forehand over really fast, resulting in little pace and accuracy.

I'm assuming the reason why you want to hit through the ball more is to add pace to your shot and not necessarily increase accuracy. What you are not telling us is how you are hitting your strokes now. What grip do you use, what kind of swing path you have, what you mean by getting little pace and accuracy, etc....

The tips posted here so far looks like it assumes you have a somewhat flat swing path. If you have a low to high swing path and you try to do the tips posted so far, unless you close your racket face your shot will sail long. More info, please.

emmanuel
08-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Does hitting through the ball mean push the ball or pull the ball?

burosky
08-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Does hitting through the ball mean push the ball or pull the ball?

I think the push and pull relates more to the way the body is used as you are going through your forward swing. You can still hit through even if you push or pull.

zenmaster
08-31-2007, 09:38 PM
I use a grip in between semi and western. My swing path is low to high.

I have a lot of problems not being able to contact the ball with my racquet vertical, therefore the ball doesn't get impacted fully and is very weak. Sometimes if I am trying to hit hard, the ball goes to the fence.

This problem, however, is only on my forehand.

AceofBase
09-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Your lifting the ball up to early thats why you kick it up over the fence. Like i say try pushing straight though the ball first and then brush it. One easyier way is try to think that you always want the racket head to face above the net, so when you about to hit the ball make sure the racket head facing above the net and follow though, even if its a high ball to your shoulder try the same thing cause its help me and i know that its alway going to go above the net or at the net, everything can be pefect.

fuzz nation
09-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Can't say for sure since I'm not watching you hit your stroke, but it sounds like you're taking too radical of a swipe across the ball. You might want to consider slowing it down a little, setting up as early as you can, and concentrating on good contact. Face it, if any of us can't hit the ball on the sweetspot too often, we can't do much of anything out there. Place a premium on footwork to get yourself in position really early - then your stoke can be more routine with more consistent contact.

For your actual stroke, even though you are swinging low to high, check and see if your chest and shoulders are "staying down" level or opening up toward the sky somewhat. If you lean back and let your upper body "look up", your racquet face will follow them and it becomes almost impossible to keep the ball down on the court. You don't need to hunch over or anything - this is a pretty subtle point that can spoil a forehand unless you take the time to check it.

To swing through the ball well on the forehand side, I like the thought of following through so that my elbow points roughly down the target line. Pretty much no chance in hell of decelerating through contact when I do this and it encourages good trunk rotation through the stroke.

AceofBase
09-02-2007, 07:53 AM
What i meant that i say up there is that at "point of contact" make sure the racket is at net level then brush up. So hit more straight forward to get pace and then brush to get spin. Meaning when doing all this just make sure you hit straight forward at point of contact and the racket is facing a net level then follow though. On every stoke i think this will help other people out to get more placement and dept. And like i say its help me, cause you will always know that the ball is going over the net.