PDA

View Full Version : Can't hit kill shots with poly?

300Gkid
08-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Ok i like poly for my topspin groundies and serving, and of course the sound and i think the feel is subjective but i like that too. Anyway, whenever i get a short ball i cannot put it away with the same authority i used to. When using a string like PSGD for example i can put the ball away no problem but w/ the cyberflash i am getting too much spin and not enough pace. Would lower tensions help? a different string?

Final_Match_Point
08-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I have a dense pattern so i think ill never string above 55 max with full poly setup

Try lowering your tension, and hitting across your body instead of a extended high to low motion

Ripper
08-30-2007, 07:55 PM
It's logical.

pow
08-30-2007, 08:16 PM
maybe lower tension? I use poly in a 18x20 pattern and I can put away shots better than I ever was able to.

shojun25
08-30-2007, 08:40 PM
maybe lower tension? I use poly in a 18x20 pattern and I can put away shots better than I ever was able to.

I feel sorry for your stringer. He probably runs out of strings a lot :p

Back to the OP, I have tried Cyberflash (full string job) on one of my O3 Tours. I've had the same trouble as you. After 3 weeks, I cut the strings and went with a hybrid (Cyberflash mains, OG Micro crosses). After that, I didn't experience and more weak winner. Also, try Poly Polar; its similar to Cyberflash with more elasticity (more power).

pow
08-30-2007, 08:43 PM
I feel sorry for your stringer. He probably runs out of strings a lot :p

Back to the OP, I have tried Cyberflash (full string job) on one of my O3 Tours. I've had the same trouble as you. After 3 weeks, I cut the strings and went with a hybrid (Cyberflash mains, OG Micro crosses). After that, I didn't experience and more weak winner. Also, try Poly Polar; its similar to Cyberflash with more elasticity (more power).

I don't get it! :p

Poly in 18x20 lasts a long time.

shojun25
08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
I don't get it! :p

Poly in 18x20 lasts a long time.

stringing poly in an 18 X 20 frame...

lets say a regular string pattern is 16X19. your stringer has to string 2 extra mains and an extra cross. provided that he uses a two piece string job, he won't have enough strings for another hybrid. but if your stringer uses a one piece job, then thats a different story :p

pow
08-30-2007, 09:02 PM
stringing poly in an 18 X 20 frame...

lets say a regular string pattern is 16X19. your stringer has to string 2 extra mains and an extra cross. provided that he uses a two piece string job, he won't have enough strings for another hybrid. but if your stringer uses a one piece job, then thats a different story :p

I provide the string and he strings a one-piece on it. Is that difficult for him?

Oh yeah, I have spoken to him about full poly stringing before and he says that he just adjusts a little to it and he knows how to do it efficiently but he would preferably not have to string full polys all day.

onkystomper
08-31-2007, 02:29 AM
Drive more of your weight through the ball and hit flatter.

gerikoh
08-31-2007, 02:51 AM
i tried polys with my other racquets (wilson sensation duo hybrid), and i didn't like the feel like the my other racquet that has natural gut hybrid in it..

iPlayer
08-31-2007, 08:26 PM
I have no problem hitting winners with a poly @ 55 (mid of reccommened tension). I think a big problem is that the poly strings loose their tension faster and die and I find it harder to hit hard, flat balls with old poly strings but freshly strung, they seem fine.

abenguyen
08-31-2007, 09:43 PM
stringing poly in an 18x20 frame(me with my radicals and prestige...) is a pain in the butt. weaving sucks but about to string one of my racquets up right now. cyber power 17 mains fxp 17 crosses 56/60 respectively. maybe might try the opposite

AceofBase
09-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Just string its looser and then you can start getting that juice to kill it. Try 3-2 pounds loose from before or lower than that to see for yourself!

TheAverageTennisPlayer56
09-01-2007, 07:02 AM
About 1 1/2 years ago i strung my aeropro drive + with babolat pro hurricane 16 gauge at 65 pounds, didn't have any trouble serving aces or hitting winners consistently. I hold a western forehand and a two handed backhand. level = 5.0

Fedace
09-01-2007, 07:31 AM
About 1 1/2 years ago i strung my aeropro drive + with babolat pro hurricane 16 gauge at 65 pounds, didn't have any trouble serving aces or hitting winners consistently. I hold a western forehand and a two handed backhand. level = 5.0

I strung it at 72 lbs and had no trouble with serves but did have some problem with put away volleys and overheads, and the string died after 4 hours of play. is this normal.?:confused:

TheAverageTennisPlayer56
09-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Yes, very normal. Poly's tend to lose there tension very quickly. But, strings at 72 lbs aren't very normal. For my instance, the racket I strung at 65 was just one of my rackets I have different tensions.