PDA

View Full Version : Elbow near body for a forehand?

zenmaster
08-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Is having the elbow near the body better for a forehand or is having your arm outstretched a better idea (like Nadal does)?

bizzle
08-30-2007, 09:23 PM
outstretched

Noveson
08-30-2007, 09:46 PM
outstretched

Don't listen to him. However you hit right now I wouldn't change it. It's a style, there are definitely differences, but there are many top pros that use both, so that isn't going to be the problem in itself.

flame08
08-30-2007, 10:16 PM
i say it first depends on ur grip! u cannot say that something is better than the other while u dotn kno which grip a person uses. for semi western and western grips ELBOW NEAR THE BODY IS SO MUCH BETTER IT GIVES IT STYLE AND POWER. for a continental and eastern grip outstrtched its much better! so u choose! u choose ur style after u choose ur grip

junbumkim
08-30-2007, 10:26 PM
If you see any player's forehand, at the momen of contact, you can probably fit a tennis ball into their armpit. That being said, you can take as big of backswing you want, but you hitting has to be close to your body.

Now, you can make contact very in front of you. Your arm will be stretched forward, not away from you to the side.

lakis92
08-31-2007, 05:52 AM
When you hit in open stance it has to be a couple of inches away from your torso.

EricW
08-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Don't mess with it in my opinion, just keep it with whatever feels natural.

NamRanger
08-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Is having the elbow near the body better for a forehand or is having your arm outstretched a better idea (like Nadal does)?

To be able to use the relative straight arm like Nadal and Federer do, you have to be able to make contact far out in front, and have one wickid wrist release. Otherwise your forehand's going to be very ineffective, because you don't have alot of mass going behind the ball.

Personally I would suggest using the regular double bend forehand, just because you are less likely to injure yourself while using it.

paulfreda
09-01-2007, 07:24 AM
I think Flame08 is right on the mark.
And the advice not to change anything is good unless you are willing to commit to a lot of practice to change.

What grip do you use, btw ?

Wheelz
09-01-2007, 07:58 AM
If you see any player's forehand, at the momen of contact, you can probably fit a tennis ball into their armpit. That being said, you can take as big of backswing you want, but you hitting has to be close to your body.

Now, you can make contact very in front of you. Your arm will be stretched forward, not away from you to the side.

Good tip, thanks !