PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD

UW_Husky88
08-30-2007, 08:34 PM
You read the title. Which format do you think is gonna win?

tennispro11
08-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Blu-Ray, it has more of the Hollywood powers that be behind it.

theace21
08-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I am thinking the same way, but I would wait. I do a lot of video work and I am anxious to buy a burner. Just like the Beta vs VHS war many years ago. Beta was better, but Sony stuck firm and soon VHS players were much cheaper and the video stores all carried VHS.

Fedfan4life
08-30-2007, 09:38 PM

You haven't read alot of tech news lately. Paramount and Dreamworks just dropped BD's, search it. My advice to the OP is wait after Christmas and we'll all find out. Or you can get the LG stand alone player which supports both formats but still obscenely expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NNK9LY?tag=blu*****m0b-20

tennispro11
08-30-2007, 09:41 PM
You haven't read alot of tech news lately. Paramount and Dreamworks just dropped BD's, search it. My advice to the OP is wait after Christmas and we'll all find out. Or you can get the LG stand alone player which supports both formats but still obscenely expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NNK9LY?tag=blu*****m0b-20

My bad, I read something about a month ago that said more studios in Hollywood had signed on to Blu-Ray. I guess things have changed.

UW_Husky88
08-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Its so stupid though. I seriously think that although there was some conflict before PS3 and Xbox, a lot of this became even more confusing just because Microsoft just HAS to cut into Sony's sales. I think that Blu-Ray as of right now is selling a lot better and still has a ton more contracts, but I seriously am not sure if either one will emerge as an immediate winner for another year or so. I don't need to buy one right now, I'm just leaning towards a PS3, and I'm looking to see whether the bluray thing I'm needlessly spending money on will actually last (I don't care much for that stuff right now until it becomes as mainstream as DVD has become now)

volusiano
08-30-2007, 10:00 PM
I heard that Blockbuster decided to go with Blue-Ray. Doesn't Sony own big stakes in the movie industry now? I thought they bought some Hollywood movie studio several years back or something like that.

UW_Husky88
08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
yeah thats what I'm saying. Blu-Ray appears to be winning pretty handily right now, but who knows what will happen. I just hope that Blu Ray wins because Microsoft sucks.

Fedfan4life
08-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Its kind of a double-edged sword for customers because they do like the HD-DVDs layering (hd on one side and dvd on the other) and presentation, its just a tad bit more expensive. With BDs, the layering is like a normal dvd and cheaper. I like HD-DVDs more because you can download exclusive content off the internet because theres an ethernet port on the player itself.

Fedfan4life
08-31-2007, 12:58 AM
My bad, I read something about a month ago that said more studios in Hollywood had signed on to Blu-Ray. I guess things have changed.

Like I said... us consumers has no clue to which format to support. Sony had the upper hand months ago but suddenly they've been dropped. Who knows its probably just politics that's controlling the HD wars right now. That's why I'm waiting when the fiscal year ends to see which one to buy.